1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on AGV, Shark, and Suomy helmets.

Discussion in 'General' started by tropicoz, Jul 17, 2013.

1. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I need a new helmet after I ground my face across the asphalt last month , so I've narrowed my choices between an AGV GP Tech, the Shark Race R Pro, and the new Suomy. What insight can you guys offer on any of the three?

I've worn a Spec 1R for the last 5 years but it's been discontinued so I'm kind of out of luck on those (in regards to getting a fresh one). My melon doesn't fit Shoei's very well, and the only Arai that fits nice is the Corsair....but the chin bar seems too close when I put it on.

Thanks!

2. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

If you have a big pumpkin type head, forget the AGV. I think it's fair to say they fit better on "narrow" heads...

3. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

AGV is the only one of the 3 with good u.s. dealer support anymore.

Bell

4. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Can't speak on Shark, but Suomy is easily had with great stock from the importer/distributor. Entirely possible we have had different experiences though...

Tropicoz the spec1-r was replaced by the Apex model. Same same really, just updated. If they were what you were happy with not much of a reason to change IMO.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How is the Suomy SR Sport? What about their dirty bike helmets?

6. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I can't comment on the SR Sport as I haven't seen one yet. The moto stuff, IMO, is still awesome. I've tried anew different models of the latest and greatest of road stuff and moto stuff as they trickle through the shop and always find myself back in a Suomy. Only thing I constantly tell them is they need to work out a deal with Suomy to design they schemes that get imported. Their stuff lacks in looks, that's for sure. They make up for it in weight and venting though.

7. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

I stopped by the Revzilla store in Phili and tried on the Shark Race R pro. Definitely a serious helmet, probably the only helmet I would consider over the Shoei X-12/RF-1100 to protect my brain in a crash. I have the suomy, it sucks. The shark is extremely light weight, has good vision through the visor (which is ultra thick and well supported). Internal padding feels pretty plush and comfortable (not quite as plush as the RSR2). Haven't it crashed or rode in one yet so couldn't tell you much else.

8. tropicoz

Do you have the new SR Sport, or the older Spec 1R? If it's the SR Sport, what do you not like about it? I really appreciate the input. I've been very happy with my Suomy, but I'm in the mood for a change and the Shark leads the pack atm. I like the AGV's but damn those are pricey. Realistically, I could afford a left over, but then I'm in the same boat with the Suomy. I rather by the newest I can get.

9. sonicnofadz

I've owned the spec1r (since sold it) and currently own a newer Apex model. Both seemed very similar (very light weight) but flimsy and overall shitty build quality (would't trust Suomy helmets in a bad crash). They have pretty poor Sharp impact ratings as well. To be honest I rather wear a chinese made Bell or Scorpion helmet than the Suomy. The Shark has a 5 star sharp impact rating for the race-r pro (for what its worth). The shark helmet is in another league in terms of build quality and features. Don't have much experience with AGV, but many of their models have good impact ratings, although a lot of people complain about build quality.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

Hate to keep beating you like a red headed step child but Suomy Apex doesn't have a sharp rating and the Vandal is a 5 star rated helmet. I've crashed in a Apex pretty well from straight up and down onto my head and brought another one. They're comfortable and I don't see a problem with the build quality. I've had three Arai's and couple of Scorpions so I think I have a decent reference point.

11. sonicnofadz

Here is a link to the Suomy Apex sharp rating:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelm...&sharp-type=All&sharp-rating=1&discontinued=1

:crackup:

It received the same exact rating as the spec 1r, because they are basically the same helmet. Just because you've crashed without brain damage doesn't mean much, try placing calibrated accelerometers inside the helmet and running some impact tests then get back to me. If you look at the impact ratings for both the Spec1r and Apex models, they do very poorly with side impacts.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

You're right, Suomy's are shit. Troll on.

13. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I can't speak about the others but I have an AGV GP-Tech and I love it. Super comfortable, vents well, the visor never fogs, and the shield changes easily.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I like Suomy. Own a couple Spec-1s and an extreme or two. I like 'em and they fit better than a Corsair.

15. JBaucom

JBaucom Well-Known Member

Suomy has a new US distributor, just to be clear (MTA). Can be had at any dealer that is set up, and we just got a big shipment in the country. The new SR sport is SWEET, and light. Just my .02

16. tropicoz

Does the SR Sport fit like the Spec 1R?

17. JBaucom

JBaucom Well-Known Member

It's a little different, the Spec 1R was very similar to the Apex, the SR Sport is a different shell. They so run a little small compared to Shoei/Arai etc (I'm a lg in most, but an XL in the SR Sport)

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I boycott Suomy! :)

19. I have 2 spec 1r extremes that I love. Although I haven't crashed either of them they're out on the dates and I need a new helmet. I want to try on an HJC (whatever the Lorenzo or spies helmet is without the graphics) and a shark. Those impact ratings make me a little weary but I've had zero problems with my suomy's, they fit great, comfortable and have lasted years.

20. Supercorsa SCO

Supercorsa SCO Well-Known Member

So why not frickin stop messing around? Arai Corsair V dammit! The best ventilation, the best shields, the best option to get the helmet custom fitted, the best state of art helmet in the world! And nothing frickin feels as good as a Arai on your head.

So don't bitch about the price cuz in this day with $10,000 600s as the norm and $7K dirt bikes a $800 helmet that lasts 5 years is cheap insurance!