1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maine/Canada trip planning help.

Discussion in 'General' started by creator, Jul 4, 2013.

1. creator

creator Well-Known Member

I'm going to be visiting family in ME for a wk starting Aug. 1st. I will then head to Canada for a week and can go anywhere up there. I'm looking for suggestions with places I should see/do in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, or all the above. I don't own a street legal bike so will be driving and taking my father and nephew with me. Will probably camp most nights if not all. I've been to Nova Scotia and PEI when I was 9yrs old via ferry out of Portland ME but only remember so much. Leaning more toward New Brunswick rather then going to NS or PEI. TIA for any suggestions you may have.

Andrew Fahsholtz
    WERA Nov. #608

P.S. Will see u'all at Roebling in 2wks!

2. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

We will be up there about a month later. Climbing partner lives in Belfast so we stay there. Youngs Lobster Pound is fantastic, take your cooler and a side item. Also we liked biking in Acadia, beware the loop called around the mountain, sucker goes over the mtn. Enjoy.

3. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

WHy? That place is full of Main-iacs and worse yet, Friggin Newfie Canadians.

4. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

I'd rather go there than hang out with that Cortez chick-fag though.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Passports.

6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Newfie Canadians are further out than that. "newfie" is for Newfoundland. Longer ferry ride..

7. creator

We have passports. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe it makes more since to do things in ME instead. Wanted to go somewhere new.... Have a month to decide.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Lots of great places to fish and camp if you're into it. Sounds like a great trip.

9. creator

We will be doing alot of both of those things. :)

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Coastal - Boothbay Harbor, Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Mt.Desert Island, Reid State Park, Popham Beach State Park, LL Beans(original), Wiscasset Speedway(Saturdays, 6PM), Bath Iron Works, Lobster Fests(on the beach of an island where the lobsters steam in a pile of seaweed covering coals of driftwood all buried in the sand - gotta dig it out - it's fun), Windjammers...there's tons to do.

Inland - Sebago Lake, Mt.Katahdin, Smalls Falls...

I'd like to drag my wife up there late July-early August.
    So many things to choose from...

If you get near Thomaston, watch for the lobster and pick-up truck wars.
    True, Downeast lobsterman shooting it out over whose lobster buoy is whose.
    Fords and Chevys rammin' each other off the loggin' roads, unless a Dodge shows up. Then they tag team the Dodge. :D

Yeah. Mainiacs.

11. Caper

Caper Well-Known Member

Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Nova Scotia. BEAUTIFUL scenery and actually in the top 10 tourist attractions I believe in the World.
    But you will wish you had your bike. It's our Playground.
    Then while in Cape Breton visit the Fortress of Loiusburg, all major tourist attractions.

12. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

If you make Bar Harbor/Acadia a stop on your trip, PM me. I can point you in the right direction of what to do around here!

13. zx1012r

zx1012r WERA Wannabe

Gotta check out Bay of Fundy where you can go down during low tide and check out the caves.

14. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Agreed. Just the drive up Cape Breton on the West Bay Highway was intense. I think that maybe it was surveyed to be part of the North American IoM TT-type race some years back. Much fun - lots'a bikes up there too. Cape Breton itself is magnificent.

One of the mani interesting furry animals yu mai see on a høliday in Cape Breton is the the majestic møøse. A møøse once bit my sister ... No realli!

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Campabello Island

True scenic overkill.

Take a ferry out of Eastport and see the Old Sow.

The name escapes me, but there's a river in that area that you can watch reverse its flow twice a day, due to the tides in the Bay of Fundy. Watching tidal changes in the Bay is impressive. The tides there are the highest in the world.
    In some areas the tidal range is over 50 feet.

16. FZRCraig

FZRCraig Offensive to Most

PEI - definitely if you golf or are over 60 years old. Bridge is cool.
    Halifax - good drinking at the Lower Deck and the Liquordome. Peggy's Cove.
    Moncton - not so much but good lobster at nearby Shediac.
    Cape Breton - very scenic.
    Nova Scotia is best and they have a track - Schubenacadie - CDN Superbike races held there soon.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Mainers will tell you the real Maine starts east of Ellsworth (the coast beyond the Bar Harbor area). In Your Corner mentioned Campobello. You can actually get there by bridge from Lubec. There are lots of great places to camp (state parks, etc) in that area and some good places to stay in Lubec that aren't pricey. I have a place there and may be up there in August. pm me if you want contact info. Grand Manan Island is a very cool trip (ferry out of Blacks Harbor, NB). You may want to take the ferry from St Johns to Digby then drive a big loop back, including Cape Breton (stunning). Sounds like a great trip.