1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On board video of my run up Pikes Peak

Discussion in 'General' started by GECCO, Jul 3, 2013.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Very nice. The snow along the course adds an interesting visual element. Not something you see on many motorcycle race courses, unless it is motorcycle ice racing that is.

Thanks for posting that up.

Someday I will have to go watch that in person. On the inside of a corner of course.

2. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

Ran Pirelli slicks, SC0 in the rear and SC1 in the front. Course is always so-so, they don't sweep it or anything, so it is what it is.

Here's the actual bike in last years race:

[​IMG]

And in this years race:

[​IMG]

3. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

More pics from 2013. This is entering "George's Corner"

[​IMG]

Same corner, different photographer

[​IMG]

Exiting the same corner

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

How much practice time on course do you get?

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Holy F, I can't believe they let spectators that close

6. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

Practice is the week prior to the race and it's rather unique. The (toll) road needs to still be available to the public at 9am so the drill is that you get up at the crack of way before dawn and get up on the mountain about 3:30am. Then you practice from daylight until about 8:45.

You practice in sections and get anywhere from 4-6 runs on that section each day. For instance, this year the schedule for the bikes was:

Tuesday - Upper Half
    Wednesday - Middle Third
    Thursday - Upper Third
    Friday - Bottom Third

So, in effect we got to practice the top sections twice and the bottom once. Next year the bikes will be on the bottom twice. The only time you see the entire course at speed is the one time it counts.

7. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Holy schnikes. That's crazy! Are some of those idiots actually trying to reach out and touch you? Looks almost like that at the 7:30 mark. Jeez...at some points it looks like you could crash into the sky. That must be an insane ride.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  8. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

:eek:

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Wow thats amazing man! :bow: I would've been going much slower on the upper sections :D

10. tittys04

So what kind of bars did you use? I can't really tell from the photos, looks like maybe the stock clip-ons?

Oh... and same question for rearsets... stock or aftermarket?

11. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^Looks like clip ons to me.

12. ElBigBC

ElBigBC Never done learning

This is awesome. I would love to enter. Thank you for posting the vid.

13. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

Woodcraft clip-ons and Graves rearsets

14. tittys04

sweet... so another question i have is... what do you do when you get to the top? Do you just throw your bike against a guard rail and chill out until the event is over?

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Cool stuff!

Hey, I gotta ask anyone, anyone ever hit a deer in that event? :(:wow: It's all I kept thinking as you were heading up!

That Loeb video was totally badass and the first time I saw paddle shifters actually useful. LOL!

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That was cool. :clap:

Are you the only one on the coarse or do they let the next guy go after so many minutes ?

17. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

That takes some balls

18. GECCO

GECCO Runs with scissors

Pretty much, yeah

I honestly don't know but this was the 91st running so I would imagine it must have happened at some point. This year one of the drivers hit a spectator who was in the road trying to get a better camera angle :rolleyes:

They let the bikes go at about 20-30 sec intervals. Fastest qualifiers go first so in theory you shouldn't catch anyone.

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Effin badass.:clap:

20. tittys04

So, after reading the rule book, I don't see much on rider qualifications. I see it says something like "invitational event" and each rider is evaluated, but I don't see any real guidelines. Do you know of any, or is it really just an "apply and wait for approval" kind of thing? I was looking specifically for expert license for x events, or x amount of expert points or something, but I don't see anything like that.