1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lazy eye in kids?

Discussion in 'General' started by novice201, Jun 19, 2013.

1. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

My five year old daughter was just diagnosed with it. I'd been noticing her crossing her eyes close up and mentioned it to the wife (who does the doctor visits) but nothing happened till recently.

Anyway, the plan is glasses to start, as they say the kids are better about that than the patches. Any input would be cool. Neither my wife or I have any vision issues, the kid is otherwise perfectly healthy.
    Thanks!

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Patch and the kid will grow out of it. I did.

Now that other lazy streak wellllllll.

3. matt221

matt221 Active Member

As a kid I had what they called a weak eye at the time, I went to the eye institute in Philadelphia once a week for a few months for therapy, eye streches if you will. I would read looking left and right with one eye at a time. I had glasses for a while and by the time I was 18 I saw 20-20 and 20-15

at 35 I still see very well... no glasses no problems

I did play a bunch of pool for a while and i beleve it helped, focusing on objects at diffrent distances with my eyes looking up and side to side

I hope this helps

4. novice201

So far that's good news. Some of the (probably industry sponsored) websites regarding the problem are a little ominous in tone.
    Thank you.

5. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Do your homework and get a second opinion, this is not something to delay. The longer you wait to properly address, the worse it will get.

Barring any physical abonormalities preventing the eyes from working in concert, (ie: the eyes are perfectly healthy and normal otherwise) the issue is with the brain. If they eyes don't work together and give conflicting pictures to the brain, especially if one is slightly out of focus, the brain will choose which eye to accept input from. Once that happens, and develops, it is uncorrectable. That's why you see some people that look forward, but one of their eyes is looking to the side. They are effectively blind in that eye. The eye may be physically normal, but the brain ignores it and the muscles atrophy.

Sometimes when one eye is out of focus in a young child, the brain will begin to ignor input from that eye. As this progresses, you will begin to see that the eyes do not line up (cross eyed if you will) because the one being ignored is not getting the proper brain input for movement.

I don't mean to spread fear and panic, it's not something to lose sleep over if diagnosed early, but it certainly requires your early intervention.

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My daughter developed a cataract as an infant. Her brain failed to develop the neural pathways for that eye. After several surgeries and years of patching, she has minimal vision in that eye. The patching did at least encourage the eye to track with the other one. On a day to day basis, you would never know she had a problem if I didn't tell you. It has not impaired her in a noticeable way. She is currently 10, so time will tell if vision will be an issue with driving, etc.

7. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

I had the same situation. Congenital cataract that was eventually removed at age 18 (artificial lense implanted), but the damage was already done as my brain just focused on the 'good eye'. So one eye that has normal vision (when corrected) and the other that still looks blurry, basically I see the same as if I still had a cataract as that's how the brain learned to process the image.

Anyway, the good news is that I grew up relying on one eye and I have zero difficulties with driving, riding, sports etc. No wandering of the bad eye either.

8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I had operations to cure a lazy eye when I was 4 and 5 years old. This was 50 years ago now and at the time it was quite a new procedure. It did the job but despite the fact that it straightened my eye it has never really been as strong as the other one. As I've got older the squint does tend to show up every now and then, especially when I'm tired.

I read this article regarding treatment for the condition a couple of months ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22245620

9. novice201

Tetris...that's funny, she's already all over our phones for games.
    We have to go pick up the glasses when they come in. Maybe I'll make the run and harass the staff until they cough up an actual doctor to interrogate.:D
    Thanks again for the input.

10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Had visual training for that 40 years. I still remember some of the exercises, they were fun! My right eye is much weaker, physically and visually, eventually had surgery to shorten the muscle that opens the eye so eyelids were even...

11. Caper

Caper Well-Known Member

You need to make sure it's not just a "lazy eye" as you are calling it or "crossed eye"
    This is a very touchy subject for me as I had A crossed left eye as a kid. And let me tell you... kids, and even alot of Adults can be damn out right cruel. Name calling was UNBELIEVABLE and honestly still plays on my mind to this day. My right Eye is dominant and when I close the Right eye, the Left Eye actually moves to the left a tiny bit.
    Mine got bad when I was like 3-4 years old I believe. Glasses did not cure it because it was weak muscles. I ended up going for surgery when I was like 10. It cured it yes but there are still times when I see it turning in, especially when I am tired. Also there's times when people make crossed eye faces at me and I feel like snapping, not knowing if my eye is turning in or they just happen to be making them faces.
    I wear contacts still, and it actually pushes my eye to the outside a bit. I would rather this than having it turned in.
    Get it looked at and fixed NOW or your Daughter is in for a world of agony dealing with people's response to this condition.
    My Father and Uncle used to get in fights with other Men Because they would holler at me when I walked through the neighbourhood.
    Man I would like to meet up with them old Fuggers now!

12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yeah, I wore an eyepatch for a bit in the second grade. I got called a pirate. Once. He could see out of that eye about as well as I could see out of my eye with the patch on it. :)

13. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

My daughter wore a patch until recently. I hated it. She hated it. Now she has a clear adhesive thing that goes over one of the lenses on her glasses. That seems to work better.

14. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

My daughter has it. The problem with the glasses or the patch on the glasses was that she would look around it and "cheat". The patches worked best for us. She hated the patches at first got used to them. Due to other eye issues she inherited from mom she needs to patch two hours a day. She is getting better, eye site wise but will need glasses forever.

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

If we send Darren two eyes patches will it cure lazy ass?

16. novice201

Caper-she only crosses close up, was MY first clue. She starts school this fall and the nurse did an eye exam. My daughter kept trying to switch eyes. At first we thought it was her being goofy but apparently not.

The doc wants to try the glasses first. Sounds like a smart move; my daughter is all excited about getting them and loved picking out the styles. Net result is she might keep them on if she's digging it. If that fails, off to plan B.

Thanks for all the input, it's obviously nothing too scary but any parent wants their kid to avoid any unnecessary disadvantages. Gracias!

17. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

My 6 yr old is just about to start vision therapy for the same problem, he's been having problems at school, not staying focused, bad writing, not paying attention. We never noticed the problem, his teacher brought it to our attention, she thought he was having "absent seizures". They told us they think the therapy will help.

The weird thing is I had the same problems in school but I was just the dumb kid, no one bothered to see if there was something causing it. About 6 months ago I had a bunch of vision tests done in order to get LASIK done, they told me I had a fairly severe Lazy eye and could not believe I didn't know about it. The good news is I now have a excuse for all the dumb stuff I do now:)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

So, I could do something right for once in my life, and go on like wedmd.com or just go to the doctor, but fuck that. Beeb for everything.

I don't know what I have. I have good 20/20, 20/15 vision (Depending on the day). I don't have a lazy eye, but my left eye is definitely weaker than my right. Keeping my head forward, if I try to look all the way to my left, I'm fine. Look to the right? I get double vision. Clarity is fine, I just see two of everything.

It gets worse the more I grow tired during the day. Especially noticeable driving at night. I actually found if I rest my head against the headrest, the double vision goes away (Note: Only when I'm tired, say, like driving 4 hours home after racing all weekend).

I've tried "exercising" my left eye by covering over my right. It gets exhausting and tiring...quick. Very quick.

You can imagine how my problems with looking right without turning my head has absolutely forced me to get into the correct body positioning on the track - looking through the turn. I've gotten caught being lazy in a turn, and have had the double vision come at a very inopportune time. Thankfully, I've been living with it for so long, I'm extremely good at judging depth perception with only my right eye whenever my left eye feels like doing it's own thing.

What exactly is this condition called? I don't think it falls under lazy eye?

19. novice201

There are apprently a couple different ways it can manifest, yours sound pretty similar. Good if ominous info here:
    http://www.childrensvision.com/lazyeye.htm

Or you could just play games:D:
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/259547.php

20. novice201

Update: some success. doctor said she went from 20/200 to 20/60 but still not there. So we're doing the patch for two months, four hours a day. She happens to start kindergarten Monday so that oughta be fun. We talked about the fact other kids are going to be asking about it so she likes the idea of saying she's a mini-pirate. :D
    We'll see how it goes. I might do the patch after school but she could get more benefit from the morning.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013