1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help choosing a NC vacation spot.....

Discussion in 'General' started by tropicoz, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that having a business on a sand bar that gets hit by a hurricane every other year makes it difficult to get insurance and that storm surge isn't covered anyway.

Just something to consider

2. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Check out St. Simons Island, Ga. It may be what you are looking for.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

And very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to live or run a business.

4. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Asheville is just a cool place to be, you would have 4 seasons and a good amount of toursits. If you just want to make some money, I would have to agree with Myrtle Beach. Everybody goes to Myrtle Beach. I am not a fan but have to go for my first visit in 30 years. What part of Maine we go up to Belfast and I just know I could live there. GF keeps telling me but they have winters. Good Luck

5. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

If you're going coastal, I would look at the outer banks. It's less built up, prettier, more relaxed, and your customers would be older and more responsible.

As far as the mountains go, Asheville is really booming and anywhere around there would work for some nice B&B's. Although, there are tons of cute towns and surrounding recreational activities following the Appalachian Trail all the way through NC. I'd almost be more inclined to chose the mountains over the beach.

6. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight guys! At least now I have a bit more intel to go off when using my Google-Fu.
    We live/work in Bar Harbor. It's absolutely beautiful here, with Acadia National Park and the coastline, so living here really isn't bad. It's just the short income season that makes it hard. We're closed for the half the year where we do updates and reno's, so that's about six months of pay going out and not coming in. Add to that a harsh climate that beats on structures harder than elsewhere, and it seems you're doing the one step forward, two steps back dance.

7. matt221

matt221 Active Member

I own a Resturant on the Outer Banks (Corolla, NC) and would be happy to offer any insite I can 252-207-5461

DO NOT DO ANYTHING ON HATTERAS ISLAND the road situation is HORRABLE

8. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

What restaurant? We're headed to Corolla this summer.

9. matt221

matt221 Active Member

First Light

We are in the TimBuck II shopping center (north side) turn tward the sound at the only light in Corolla

Big Breakfast, Burger joint, bar ,open at 7:30 am with a bunch of specialty bloody marys ( you are on vacation right) :cool:

10. matt221

matt221 Active Member

Although it is something to consider and a big problem for Hatteras Island choosing the right area makes a big diffrence. What we call town (kitty hawk-nags head) have very little problems also the state underwriters carry the policys no problem

Just an fyi Jim Cantory and the weather channel are not welcome arround here anymore becouse they greately embelish the degree of damage, they sit at the same 3 houses and problematic areas for every storm and make a giant deal of the dammage.

You will see more business put negative messages to him on there signs than put their hours of operation when a storm is off the coast

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You can get insured for a song?

12. matt221

matt221 Active Member

?????

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

aria (opera)

14. matt221

matt221 Active Member

Sorry, and thank you grammar patrol:Poke:

I am addmittedly terrable at the spelling grammar thing

15. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Ba-dum CHING!!

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And you totally missed the humor of your error. Sad.:D

If the f*(k-up makes people laugh, own it.

17. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

This. I live there and we have a distinct tourist season but it doesn't get cold enough for long enough to be dead in the off season. The golf attracts in the cooler months and the beach brings 'em in in the hotter months. Lots of nature. Good fishing inshore, offshore, and surf. Lots of good food and entertainment. Properties are not crazy expensive right now and there are many to be had. We are seeing the development tides turn a bit as there are new construction projects springing up again. Pretty much and hour and a half to downtown Jacksonville or Savannah and an hour to either of their airports as well as a pretty nice regional airport in Brunswick. It's "the beach" to most of the Atlanta crowds.

18. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

St. Simons is great! It has some life to it, unlike Jekyll, next door, which can be pretty boring unless you are there to write a book. Amelia Island is great too.

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Friggin Myrtle Beach. Why didn't I think of that? Fun place to go.

20. matt221

matt221 Active Member

I did get it, I thought, but i was a bit confused (that's normal) and I will own many mistakes by the end of the day