1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping a car

Discussion in 'General' started by blankwall, May 22, 2013.

1. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience shipping a car across country or a recommended transport company? Any help is appreciated.

2. cleanEG

cleanEG Well-Known Member

3. blankwall

What did it cost ya if you dont mind me asking?

4. Guy ManDude

Guy ManDude Member

I shipped a 1976 FJ40 from Northern California to South Carolina. I was on the receiving end and had my brother was on the sending end.

Some things I learned:

1. If i didn't have someone i trusted on the sending end to inspect the car right before it went on the truck, any damage claim would have been a he-said, he-said deal.
    2. Where they load your car on the truck matters if the car is either old (hard to find parts) or expensive. Again, fighting with them about damage is a pain. The cars on the lower level get all sorts of oil on them from the leaking junkers on the top.
    3. The shipper refused to enter any residential area and never told me until he was sitting at a truck stop, with my car idling in the parking lot, telling me to come get it.
    4. Make sure they lock the car while it's on the truck and close the windows.
    5. It took 7 days longer than they told me due to weather and other stops they made.
    6. they will unload and reload your car multiple times as they make deliveries and pick up other cars.

that's what i learned. All in all, it was a pain, but less of a pain than driving the FJ40 coast to coast at 52 mph and 8 mpg.

5. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

There's a few companies that can bid on your stuff that's worked out well for us so far. If it's an expensive car that you care about use Reliable Transport. It will not be cheap but they are by far the best

6. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Spent about 1k to ship an 89 5.0 from Miami to Vancouver Washington.

Allied movers ran my R1 over with my mustang when they were shipped from Raleigh to Miami.

7. I shipped 2 small classics from NorCal to NorArkansas in December of 2011 with Intercity. I wasn't even there for the pickup and the driver had to jump through hoops due to the pickup location. It $3k for both, enclosed. I would use them again without reservations.

8. blankwall

Cool guys thanks for the help and advice. I have used your recommendations and have called a few places to get a quote and set up some times. Thanks a bunch. Any other recommendations are helpful.

9. cleanEG

cleanEG Well-Known Member

$1695 shipped in an enclosed trailer.....

10. Racer45

And enclosed usually doubles the price

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

you get what you pay for with auto transport. I have learned this the hard way.

http://cappystransport.com/

they have taken my miura to NY and back many times with no problems. very punctual also.

12. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Shipped a 911 from Atlanta to Scottsdale in 92. No issues BUT took a full set of pics before it loaded with the hauler in the back ground and the driver present. Shipped it back a year later, same gig, no issues. Price was reasonable and would not be relevant today (I thikn I took out some optional insurance)

13. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

Reliable Carriers shipped my Nova from San Diego back to Miami a couple of years ago. It was last to be unloaded so it was tucked way in front of the trailer and 8 days door to door. It helps to schedule as far in advance as possible, and ask as many questions as you care to. I wasn't about to send my little hot rod off with some 3rd rate "discount" shipper.

14. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Horseless Carriage.
    I know someone that drives for them. A couple of high end car manufacturers trust them to deliver cars to their dealerships. They use enclosed trailers but I don't know what the costs are.

15. Racer45

if you used Reliable you obviously care about your ride:clap: