1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Taurus

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, May 13, 2013.

1. Really impressed with this car; it has come a LONG way since I paid any attention to them.

When I got to the rental car place, they were like "Your company secured a Ford Taurus for you" and I was like "awww shit" because when I heard Taurus, I was thinking this....

[​IMG]

But instead, i got this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

They also secured "walk away" insurance for you... right?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

New ones aren't bad but aren't really a Taurus, they tried to make a Ford 500 which was a better car but it just didn't take so they slapped the name Taurus on it and life was good again :D

4. Interior is just as good, and more user friendly than the Escalade EXT. Lots of cool little things like you can control the radio, navigation and climate control on the steering wheel (using a screen on the dash).

Steering wheel adjustment is push-button and it also scops in and out. Nice big sunroof, very comfortable seats, EXCELLENT backup camera with a huge screen. Very good sound system, so on and so forth.

It is damn nice, i mean...for a Ford. :D

BUT...20mpg? How in the hell does a brand new, 4-door sedan with a V6 only get 20mpg?

The person that had it before me averaged 21.8mpg over the driving they did. I reset it when I got it and over the course of 120-ish miles, about 80% 4/6-lane highway, I average 19.3mpg. Granted, i drive like a jackass, but still. I would think it should get much better than that.

Hell, my 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel can get that mpg.

5. :moon:

6. I think i remember seeing commercials for that car. Didnt they spell it out and on the car it actually said "Five Hundred" instead of "500"?

I remember thinking that was stupid as fuck.

7. WERA

WERA Administrator

It's the rental version, low end motor, can't handle being driven the way you drive and get good mileage.

I've had amazing luck with the rental Chargers for mileage, great power so no need to wring it's neck driving it.

8. WERA

WERA Administrator

Could be. They're all rental cars in my head so I really don't pay attention to them until I'm renting :D

9. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

my dads on his third MKS. Cool car, but a bit old manish for me

10. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Its still a FORD :puke: ........never ever will I own another

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I just rented one last week when I was in Chicago. I was really impressed with it. Seats were awesome. The car was quiet, smooth, and comfortable. Not too powerful but it gets down the road fine. The air conditioning in the seats worked impressively well to the point where I turned it down.

12. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

is it the twin turbo eco boost?

13. I didnt know rental cars got lower spec motors.

That explains why it was downshifting 1-2 gears all the time and why i had to keep it above 3-4k to get shit out of it.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They don't - but they get the lowest spec the company offers and one very few of us on here would ever consider buying for ourselves even in an econo box.

15. Makes sense. It handles great (obviously im comparing it to a big ass truck, so take that for what it is :crackup:). I would like to drive one with 400hp or some shit.

My only complaint is that it is too skinny where my knees/legs go. I would like to be able to spread my legs more but the outside of my knee hits the console. Other than that, it is a nice car.

...again, for a Ford. :D

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

That's the (pricey) SHO version. A pretty darn good sleeper sedan, though.

17. It was weak as shit, so i certainly hope not. If so, Ford has work to do.

18. While the mileage i experience was on the low end of average, it was still in the average range.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2013_Ford_Taurus.shtml

I still think it is a lil ridiculous that a modern 4-door sedan with a V6 is barely getting over 20mpg. Most full size trucks can get that.

That has to be well below the average mpg's on modern sedans.

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I started a thread awhile back touching up on exactly this, American car industry finally making cars worthy of consideration. I guess that's one of the best things that could have happened with the bail out debacle, it might have cleaned house of all the old, tasteless guys who were dragging out their retirement plans?

I haven't driven the Taurus yet, I've liked it since I first saw this latest design and have heard really good things about it BUT I have been driving the Explorer and, personally, think it's a great little SUV. I'm liking the lower profile SUV all the manufacturers have been going with these days, makes like easier for anyone who struggles climbing on board.....maybe Subaru had it right all along eh, gasp???

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

My buddy had the SHO, and I recently got a Limited as a rental. I agree they have certainly come a long way from the 90's