1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spanish Riders

Discussion in 'General' started by wrlamkin, Apr 22, 2013.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

To you as well.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Almost got that.

250 Ninja's and R6's.

Oh wait...like alot of things...we miss the mark.

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

There are riders just as talented in the US, it's just much more difficult to keep them in a proper environment that allows them to fully develop as riders. Booby is well on his way and has beaten some of the top Spanish riders like Salom that are doing very well in Moto3, as well as the French kid Zarco that is doing very well in Moto2. I think Garrett has the talent also to compete also at the top level. Those two are in my opinion the ones with the best shot right now. There are others that are potentially as talented or possibly more so, just not sure they are in the right position to progress to the world stage. JMO

4. worldrider

worldrider Sophisticated Hillbilly

I was debating on taking in the MotoGP at Laguna Seca or one of the Spanish tracks and that was the main reason why I considered Spain.

So many people say that there's absolutely nothing comparable to the bike culture in Spain.

5. cleanEG

cleanEG Well-Known Member

Isn't it the opposite in MX where American riders dominate and most Euro riders coming over to the US find it difficult to adapt....especially the outdoors?

6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Like I said earlier, America does cater to the M/X crowd. Heck, there are 4-6 classes eligible for "National Championship" status at the Amateur Nationals at Loretta Lynn's every year. But then, motorcycle manufacturers build bikes that these youngsters can ride. The only way they can get any road race time is to convert a mini M/X bike.
    In addition, Dad can take his youngster out to dirtpits all over the nation where they can ride themselves to exhaustion. Where can a kid do that with a street tire equipped bike?
    Shoot, even in the heyday of American dominance there weren't throngs of kids chomping at the bit to be the next Eddie Lawson or Wayne Rainey. They all wanted to be the next Jeremy McGrath or Ricky Charmichael. Spanish kids grow up with roadracing readily available to them, American kids grow up with M/X readily available to them. What excites you early in life is what tends to stick with you for the remainder. I see that in my own life. I enjoy the beauty and grace of roadracing, especially that of the highest level, but in my heart of hearts, I'll always prefer the awesome brutality of an American Outdoor National M/X event and what a top level Champion can accomplish around one of those tracks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I'll take the BRM watch please :D

8. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Look at how much money Respol dumps into MotoGP...

Where is Exxon/Shell, etc.... ???

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

This goes back as far as the 1960's. There were 4 or 5 motorcycle manufacturers at the time in Spain and due to the political climate there it wasn't easy to import or export. There were numerous "works' riders competing in domestic races to further the cause of the home grown factories and the love of racing grew from there.

I believe that it's only second to football in popularity in Spain.

10. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I heard that motorcyle racing was actually first in Spain.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think that's possible.

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Ok so my sources were unreliable lol.

But like everyone said. Bikes are a luxury item here and a necessicity in most of Europe. And everyone knows that you like what you know.

For instance, we grow up liking Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes. Every kid in america wants one, and the sporty the car th better for teenagers. SOME may actually own one. Whereas overseas chances are the first vehicle of any kind they will drive is a scooter or bike.

13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Which is why I've said the FESeMBO is actually only part of the answer. Or at least the "O" has some major shit in it.

I'd like to see the AMA work with cities to develop "green" advantages for scooters and motorcycles under 500cc beyond the pittance they enjoy today.

Reduced/waived registration fees.
    Free parking.
    Bike lane usage under 15 mph.
    Stop light filtering forward legal.

Everyone wins (other than the auto industry) when people ride little bikes.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No, and it's not really close. Almost everyone watches footy. I was in Barcelona in 2001 when they won the Spanish league. The city went crazy.

15. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

I can't see any of that happening here. The general attitude towards bikes is they're dangerous and an annoyance.

It's more acceptable to have a lifted diesel with 40s on it. Because those aren't annoying.

16. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Soccer first. Road racing second

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They need to stop working the highest levels and start working the levels where the riders start - like us and all the other clubs out there.

Still floors me that when Josh was riding for Honda they had no clue where he started off racing and kept talking about needing to do more at the AMA Pro level to bring up new racers... :crackup:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would it when you can get more fame and money in NASCAR?

19. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

I'm sure as the man behind a large US club racing org you could come to any motoGP race and have many a productive meeting. You don't need me to be your messenger. :)

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I couldn't but the woman behind it could and she has - sort of. Honestly not sure what anyone at the MotoGP level could really do for us. One thing that is truly funny - they actually do know about WERA when a lot of people in the industry in the US don't :D