1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford E350 Ignition switch/starter problems

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Apr 7, 2013.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I have not pulled the starter yet to test it.
    2003 E350 7.3
    Out of the blue, it won't start.
    I can hear a faint clicking noise when I try.
    And the wheel no longer locks unless I turn it 90 degrees.
    Shifter locks.

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Update: I let it sit for 2 hours.
    Now it starts w/o problem.
    I let it run idle for 10 minutes, then took a short drive to fuel up.
    Let it idle again while doing that. Get back to the shop, shut it off.
    It restarts with no problem. Now I'm really puzzled.
    Sure don't want to get stranded should it decide to do it again.

3. phillip doyle

phillip doyle Well-Known Member

Mine did that years ago and it was a bad connection where the power wire connects to the starter relay. It's located on the starter.

4. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I had a starter do that for a couple of months until one day it really was dead.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That's what I'm thinking.
    Friggin cheapest refurbished I can get locally is $179.
    I can get one online for $100 that's supposed for have a full warranty.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I dont think i'd ever pull the starter out to test it. See if you can get it to happen again and if/ when it does take a test light under the van and go from ground and put the test light probe on the "s" terminal of the starter which will be the small gauge wire. If you have a bright test light there when someone tries cranking the engine over its more than likely you need a starter. The solenoids are typically the problem as they have the wearing parts and they move.

Another backyard mechanic test is if it doesnt start have someone hold it in the crank position and just tap the side of the starter or the solenoid with a hammer and it will likely crank up right when you hit it.

Keep in mind some fords use TWO starter solenoids, one on the starter and one on the fender or firewall. Its a ford thing. The solenoid is easy to spot though if you do have a second one. Its normally really close to the batter and has the positive wire from the battery running to it, and then from there it will go down to the starter.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

clean all your connections on the battery and the starter. Starters and batteries aren't usually that intermittent.