1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mbus sight suggestion

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I see these things range from $12 for magpul to way up there.

Anyone have issues with the polymer variety? or should I stick to aluminum?

A particular brand to look at or stay away from?

2. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

MBUS = Magpul back up sight

BUIS = Back up Iron Sight

Are you looking to use either one as your primary or backup?

For backup, either are fine IMO.

I wouldn't use either for primary's.

Personally, I have all of my optics in QD mounts with MBUS zeroed @ 50m as back up. YMMV

3. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I have no optics at the moment, so I am looking for a primary "iron" sight

for your typical assault "style":D .556 rifle

also, thanks for the clarification on the terms

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

MBUS is Magpul's version and you will not find it for $12. Only fakes. I run Troy myself. Work great as primary or backup. Only one I would stay away from is the .gov issued Matech(sp?) sites. They suck mainly because the detents wear out fast. Same for anything made in China obviously or crap airsoft stuff.

5. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

It is marketed as the real thing, but the reviews say it is a copy

http://dx.com/p/magpul-mbus-gen-2-f... Accessories&gclid=CMjR-creoLYCFQUHnQodVXgAfA

but it is an air soft sight

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  6. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

I've used both Magpul's and Troy's back up sights. The Troy sight that I used had the "Di-Optic Aperture" which is a diamond opening instead of the traditional round, which I really liked.

I have the Magpul MBUS on my gun and I bought it mainly because of the price point. I typically use my EOTech when shooting, but needed something as a back up. I've had cold weather drain the batteries in my EOTech and been stuck at the range without any sights... If I was going to use it as a primary sight, I'd spend the extra $50 and get a Troy.

7. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I have a MBUS on mine and I dig it. Magpul stuff is good stuff. I have a scope so it's only a backup and I haven't had a chance to completely sight in the backups yet either.

8. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Or spend the extra money and go off-set. Faster and more accurate than a flip up.

9. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

You're welcome about the terminology. :beer:

Do you have a fixed front sight or an optics ready rail?

If you have a fixed front sight and just need a primary rear iron sight for now, I would say look into Daniel Defense but I'm biased. :D https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/sights/a1-5-fixed-rear-sight.html

Offsets are nice for quick transitions onto close targets while using a magnified optic or as back ups, but not ideal as a primary.

Skip the Matech.

All just my opinion of course.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I have these on one of my ARs

http://www.diamondhead-usa.com/

I sighted irons at 50yds, then 100yds, compensated for drop at 200 and re-set at 100.

Then I sighted in the Eotech.

11. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Troy battle sights FTW.

12. Evolution247

Evolution247 Well-Known Member

You're going to get a million different answers on this one. It's like asking which is better between Yamaha and Suzuki.

I have run both (20K+ rounds) and both will serve you well. I agree with everyone here that you should shy away from the airsoft versions as they are made in China and from what Travis and Chris tell me, they are made with different type of plastic (could be marketing fluff).

Pick which one that works with your budget and what you like.

13. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

+1

The kind of shooting you do might play into your decision. I find it hard to justify the higher price tag of the "operator-grade" equipment (Troy, DD, etc.) when I'm just plinking. That said, a failure of my primary sighting device when I'm out plinking in a pit would ruin my day.

14. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

K.A.C.

15. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I picked up a sig m400, while I have had several rifles, including bull pups and an AUG, this is my first AR. It came with only a sight ready rail.

It would mainly be used as plinking fun as even with today's prices, it is still cheaper to shoot .223 than a high caliber hunting round just to have fun with paper on a sunny afternoon.

most shooting would be under 200 yds. (that is about the length of my range on my property)

I want to go old school on this, just iron sights, no optics. Something that will keep me "in shape" so to speak. Scopes make it easy.

With that in mind, I am old school and have never really cared for peep sights.
    Looking at some mentioned, i think i would favor the diamond shape over the circle. but are there any rear sights out there that are the old "U" shape to line on the front point? I have not come across any.