1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schwants vs. Circuit of The Americas

Discussion in 'General' started by apex134, Sep 8, 2012.

1. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

2. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

3. socalrider

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

5. socalrider

i skimmed it a bit this morning in my haste to post a bombshell DOH!

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:D

BTDT!

7. zuki750

zuki750 Well-Known Member

So, My question is do y'all think KS has any chance of winning this battle?

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Define "win."

If you mean cost Cota a lot of money, ruin their "good" name and eventually come away with a pick up truck load of cash then, yes.

9. caferace

caferace No.

Sadly, I don't think there will be any "winners" in this.

CoTA probably fucked up and won't admit it, Kevin is fighting for his honor (and time and effort) and the sport is looking bad simply because the sanctioning body is sitting by (wisely) saying nothing. It's a lose/lose all around.

-jim

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I think he will have tough time, from paperwork floating around it seems he was subcontractor to Tavo. I don't see any business relation between him and track (on paper), just negotiations.
    Don't think you can force somebody to do business with you if they don't want to.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Is Tx big enough to have another world spec circuit built specifically for MotoGP, this time? :D

It'd be nice to see KS get hooked up in another deal that steals the GP away from CoTA.

12. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

They're bonded for 10 years now, I imagine that would be one heck of an early termination fee.

13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Need another contract with dorna :)
    Those 450K they offered him was less than 10% of what state of Texas was giving him.

14. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

He's winning the PR battle...

15. zuki750

It is so sad that huge corprate America is on duty, when it comes to Motorsport business. Which they have no clue how things are running out side of their pocket.

16. zuki750

Thank you Jim.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Hey Jim,

It would be interesting to get a few professional racers takes on this situation. Maybe you could ask some of the peeps you interview what their opinion is on the subject.

I'd really love to here what CE or Ben's take is on the deal.

18. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I think you are right:

KS press release of 3/26/13

"Last week, Circuit of the Americas (CotA) issued a statement suggesting I had nothing to do with bringing MotoGP to Austin. Unlike others who have had disputes with CotA, I am free to speak my mind. So let me set the record straight: I am the reason MotoGP is coming to Texas and no one currently associated with CotA had anything to do with the design of the actual race track. There's no shortage of evidence to prove these facts.

On February 2, 2011, Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta sent me a letter confirming that 3FourTexasMGP, my company, is the ‘sole rights holder for MotoGP in the state of Texas for the years 2013-2022.’ On February 3, 2011, Comptroller Susan Combs sent a letter to me and Mr. Ezpeleta confirming that the MotoGP U.S. Grand Prix would be included in the state’s Event Trust Fund beginning in 2013. In that letter, the state comptroller explained that the annual funding would be sent to 3fourTexasMGP, 'the rights holder for all MotoGP events in Texas.' On April 12, 2011, at the request of the state comptroller a press conference was held announcing that MotoGP was on its way to Texas. Finally, on July 22, 2011, Mr. Ezpeleta sent a letter to the state Comptroller saying that 'both Kevin (Schwantz) and I are positive that the measured success of our events in Texas will be fantastic for both the state of Texas and MotoGP.'

See links:

http://schwantzschool.com/images/pdfs/documents.pdf

http://schwantzschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90

http://schwantzschool.com/images/pdfs/Austin-track-design.pdf )

I have spent too much time and money the past five years on this project, including helping the Comptroller during the 2011 Legislative session and CotA in raising money, for me to sit by and allow this repeated misinformation to continue. CotA's attempt to downplay my involvement with Austin's MotoGP event is silly, but some of the group's other actions may verge on something far more serious. It is my belief that just like the F1 event, they are attempting to rewrite history in an effort to qualify for one of the Texas Event Trust Funds."

19. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

Aren't we talking about a couple rich a$$holes (Epstein and McCombs), not corporate america?

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Yeah, what a bunch of assholes......how dare they build a world class facility and bring more world championship racing to the U.S.

Maybe Dorna can race at the track that 3Four spent hundreds of millions building.......oh wait.:Poke: