1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Insurance???

Discussion in 'General' started by craigcoble2000, Mar 21, 2013.

1. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

For those of you that have a trailer, do you have insurance on it? I just purchased one and was talking with my insurance agent. She did not seem to know a lot.....I wanted to have insurance JUST on the trailer. The agent stated if the trailer was connected to my truck then I was covered for liability but did not cover the trailer and its contents if it was damaged.

Can anyone educate me on this and what your "approx cost is?" The trailer I have is a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with no sleeping corridors in it.

Thanks in advance......

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Think I pay $40-50 a year for mine.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Probably varies state to state but in NY light duty trailers are covered by the tow vehicles ins. but I don't know what's covered. Maybe whatever's on the vehicle ? Liability only or full applies to the trailer too ?

Must be some insurance guys on here, there's everyone else.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a seperate policy for contents upto $10,000. Doesn't cover my bikes(s) though as those have their own policies. Its ~$120/yr. Thats bascially if its stolen.
    When its hooked to my RV or truck... its covered in tandem with those (or any vehicle)

5. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

yes, you can get theft coverage on your trailer.
    make sure you do.
    its extremely cheap

6. redwagon02

redwagon02 Well-Known Member

my 6x12 enclosed was $54/year with State Farm.

7. craigcoble2000

Thanks to all for the info....

It seems there are additional questions. Its good to have insurance on the trailer but what about the contents: bike, tools, helmets, leathers, etc.

My bike is a "race bike" so I don't have insurance on it. So I would like to have insurance on the trailer and its contents in the event it was stolen with the my bike(s) in it along with my gear....

8. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

My premium is about $600 year / Heacock Classic as I recall and covers the car, trailer, everything inside it up to 90k, EXCEPT if the car is in use, so towing, in the paddock, storage, stolen, burned down, flooded, tree crushed, hurricane, typhoon are all covered.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You won't be able to have that insurance cover the race bike as it can have its own policy.

There was a thread on this a few months ago with some knowledgable people in it

10. craigcoble2000

Trying to avoid having to add insurance for just the bike as I am sure this or think this would, be more expensive.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

hey Craig.. as everyone stated above, not likely you will get the bike covered unless ya take out a policy for that by itself. I have liberty mutual and have a my trailer insured on it's own. no contents though.. pretty cheap insurance. $40-50 a year? $15k in coverage with small deductible.

12. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

My insurance is $8/year with State Farm. Never even thought about it until I saw what a blowout does to the side of a trailer and what that costs.

13. craigcoble2000

Thanks Greg.....still would like to have the "contents" covered though. As most of us would agree, we put A LOT of money into our bikes and probably could not sell the bike for what we "think" its worth. So having the bike/contents covered in the event the trailer was stolen/damaged with the bike in it would make me feel better.

14. craigcoble2000

Marcmcm,

What does $8/year cover???

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

6 bux a year for mine, covers collision and comp damages. usually contents are not covered for anything but, your homes. so, if contents are stolen or damaged in an accident and they are not part of the trailer or automobile/rv... they are not covered. you will have to turn in a seperate claim under your home owners insurance for the contents.

rarely does a auto policy cover a trailer completely. make sure you check with your provider, and DO NOT TAKE THE AGENTS WORD FOR GOSPEL, CALL YOUR PROVIDERS UNDERWRITERS, ask them what is covered.

in some cases, some insurance companies will have a "default" coverage for the trailer when hooked to the auto (if the trailer does not have it's own policy) usually that is no more than 1000.00 max.

with that said, if you have a 10000.00 trailer, and no insurance policy for the trailer, and you think your auto policy covers it, you may be on the hook for 9000.00 or more (if your provider even covers it at all) if the trailer was considered a total loss.

best advice.....cover your ass!

25 years+ collision industry, the last 10 as an auto insurance adjuster. Ski

16. craigcoble2000

Skidooboy.....I will call me homeowners insurance tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks