1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennis

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheik Abdul ben Falafel, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this many people play and enjoy the sport of tennis on this forum. I have been playing for about 24yrs. Played juniors, college and then a couple years of pro tennis. If you can get someone close to your level, it is a great way to exercise.

I will second rd400racer on the attitudes of tennis players. From people complaining regarding line calls to them thinking they shouldn't ever lose a point against you to people whispering too loud on the sidelines, you will hear all kinds of whining and complaining. Still a fun sport to play though.

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I was a total newb (couldn't even hold a racket) and it was a great help to at least keep the ball in play. For the deal we signed up for I did it twice and really enjoyed it.

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

see, i need help with my back swing control. i got the body rotation down. but controllin the spin (topspin) with the back swing is something i am still working on.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My wife had a match yesterday. She's 50 and plays singles. She said that the 2 ladies in the court next to her argued over the score in the time it took her to play half a set.

But if you are new to the game, don't let this get to you. Just expect that it is going to happen sooner or later.

We had a different way of dealing with these issues on the ice. We just punched the hell out of each other and then shook hands at the end of the game and got drunk together:D

5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I love women's tennis.

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

i am charging the net! :D

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The clay court I got to play on (which was also indoors) was slower than a hard court, but there were no unpredictable bounces. It was extremely smooth and well groomed.

8. rd400racer

When you are ready to go to the next level beyond clay, give grass a try!

We were in Newport, RI for a day so my wife had to go to the International Tennis Hall of Fame. She had read about it so she and my son (who is pretty good) brought their rackets and played for an hour on this court.

They let me come out and hit a few volleys with them. I have no clue how anybody can play on grass. Gave me huge respect for the Wimbledon participants.

[​IMG]

9. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I would need football cleats.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I do not play as often or on a regular basis any longer. I thought myself to play against a warehouse wall. I play the most when I was in the military with some real good people and okay results. I also played intramural in college.

For my taste, tennis is becoming a single shot game. I like longer play. I still think of the sport as a nice way to relax and left off steam. I enjoy myself too much to get pissed off in the courts. That seems to piss a few people off. I like to make people run. I can care less if the shot misses the mark if it weakens the other player, cardio-wise. It means that I may have a chance later on where non existed. :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What tennis have you been watching? Everyone plays from the baseline now. The days of Becker, Edeberg, Cash, etc. are long gone. Wimbledon looks like the French Open.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Maybe I have not been keeping up as much.

My comment about the "single-shot" probably needs clarification. Perhaps, I should have said that the game is more about power and not necessarily about serve and volley. In my opinion, shot making is becoming less on an art. This relative/comparatively speaking to early 80's.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. caferace

caferace No.

I played in high school and junior college. We won the Calif. State Championship in 1980 with me on the team, so fairly proud of that.

I'm old now though. Threatened to play Josh, but he'd probably have me dead halfway through the first game making me run. I don't like running anymore.

-jim

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

So you mean I also have chance against you?:D

15. rd400racer

We were all sitting around the TV yesterday afternoon watching Nadal and del Potro play in the final (personally I don't like Nadal. Would it kill him to smile just once?).

Anyway, my son said,"hey, why don't we play a drinking game. You take a shot everytime Nadal picks at his ass".

I said no way, we'd be wasted in 10 minutes!

That boy sure digs around a lot.

16. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

How did you earn the name this time...:D

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

seen the watch he wears? :D

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I played from around 1982 until about 11 years ago.

Junior high and high school team. When I was in law school, I was tight with Pete Sampras' then-fiance, so we hung out alot. That was fun. That was 93 to 96 when he was winning errrthing.

19. caferace

caferace No.

Bring it. Just be prepared to play at 2800'. :D

One of the few things I have going for me, living well above sea level is nice when visiting the flatlands. Probably one of the reasons the Sadowski kids and Papa911's boy are so quick.

-jim

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

you ever play him?