1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plumber help/question

Discussion in 'General' started by MasterBlaster, Mar 7, 2013.

1. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Radical Freedom Fighter

$40-50 just to come out and give me an estimate for a job? I'm redoing a bathroom and need new shower drainage and supply installed (room is gutted everything is exposed). Is this standard practice? I don't want to be $200 in before I find the right provider...

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Most everone I know does it for free. Estimates I mean. No one around here charges for estimates that I know of. Shop around.:)

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

First off, no, that is complete BS. Never heard of an estimate fee from a reputable contractor.

Next, as someone that just built a complete bathroom, do it yourself. This is an incredibly simple job. Google what you want to do and there is a youtube video for all of it.

4. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Home Depot does it when measuring carpet/flooring. Then they credit it back to your account IF you purchase and go with them, if not, you're out the 35.00. We're doing some remodeling right now and everyone I've had so far has been free except them. Just on principal I may not even give them a chance.

5. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Lowes did the same thing to us on a house we re-did.

Seems common for the big box stores.

6. BrianC636

That is true....it is pretty simple.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was kind of old school and only worked with copper, but on this last project I decided to try PEX.

PEX is the shit. You have to buy a $60 crimping tool but that is about it. It is so easy to work with that it's fun. Then use Sharkbite to finish everything off.

I plumbed a new shower, jet tub, toilet and two sinks. I don't even want to think what a plumber would have cost, but I told my wife that part of the money I saved goes towards bike stuff. That gave me added incentive.

8. BrianC636

I used PEX in our entire house when I built it. VERY VERY easy to use. Spend the $$ and buy a good set of pliers (I went through 3 sets before I got a good pair). I ended up with the Apollo set from Lowes.

I ordered most of my stuff from pex universe and was pleased.

9. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Depends on the job but I do charge for estimates at times but then credit the amount back upon purchase. The reason for this is too many times people waste my time and only want some ideas on what to do with no intention of actually hiring me. It is on a case by case basis though so it all depends on the job and circumstances.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I don't charge for estimates, and I know I've been used just for the service.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I'm with 'foo. Estimates are a cost of doing business. My bids have been getting undercut *a lot* lately, it's a tight market and there are some guys out there cutting their own throats. The design/build stuff is even worse for wasted time, but my success at winning bids is much better.

12. six4six

six4six professionalgreasemonkey

pickeledeggfoyoung got it...What you are looking at is a redo, so an estimate should take less than an hour. Most pros would estimate the job for free. Hate free estimates sometimes but it is a necessary evil as a residential contractor

13. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Radical Freedom Fighter

Thanks for the input guys. I paid a reputable (and big name company in metro Atlanta) to come out before I posted here and they quoted me $1,100.00. I'm not trying to undercut or get something for way below market value but this seems like an absurdly high price. Since it was a highly recommended company, I paid the $45 but I'll be damned if I do that again if it is true that this isn't standard practice. I may have to resort to tackling the job myself if it is really not that difficult...

14. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Depends on the job, if I went out to a job site and had to figure your project out for you because you did it yourself rather than hiring an architect or draftsman then you are paying for design work. If you have plans then I will work off them give you an estimate and after the contract is signed do the final layout and meet related trades to insure everything works together.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Can't speak for the ATL, but here in the Minneshithole a lot of that cost would be permits. Base + per fixture fees, permit for a full bath would run a couple hundred bucks. Also, with a contractor permit, all the fixtures will need to be installed by the contractor. If the drain plumbing is under concrete, the price doesn't sound unreasonable at all.

But, like RD, I'd do it myself (with a little help from youtube if you need some lessons) :up:

16. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Spend the afternoon and do it yourself. $1100 is a lot of money to keep in your pocket.