1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 output shaft?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by FastrnU, Feb 25, 2013.

1. FastrnU

FastrnU Well-Known Member

Anybody know if the output/drive shaft of the transmission in the 06-07 R6 is the same/will fit into the 99-02 R6?

They have different part numbers(first 3 characters), but wasn't sure what the part number change was in lieu of.

Anybody tried it??

99-02 R6 output/drive shaft # 5EB-17421-00-00
    03-05 R6 output/drive shaft # 5SL-17421-00-00
    06-09 R6 output/drive shaft # 2C0-17421-00-00
    10-12 R6 output/drive shaft # 13S-17421-00-00(replaces 2CO-17421-00-00)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :beer:

2. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

No, the output shafts are interchangeable from 1999 to 2005.

3. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

The first three refer to the "gengeration" of the model. If Yamaha uses an older generation part on a newer model, the old part number is retained.

4. FastrnU

thanks guys!

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

That's pretty neat. Is natedogg's statement incorrect then? (Or is it a case of, the part is different but physically still fits?)

6. emry

In 03 the machining process of the splines was changed along with widening of the 3rd and 4th gears by 0.4mm (although I think was just on the teeth and not where the circlips are machined). Since this was a model redesign the shaft picked up the new model code, if it was just an updated part it would get a -10-00 as typically used with supercessions.

7. FastrnU

Roger that. Good info Emry. :beer:

8. FastrnU

I have an 06/07 shaft so when I tear down the 01 R6 ill mic the two and compare

And since we are discussing R6 transmissions. Are the new wider gears interchangeable?

And what was the weak point in the 99-02 R6 Transmisson that caused all the second gear problems?(wear on the dogs I suppose)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  9. emry

I haven't tried using different trans combos, I am sure some here has though.

As for the early model issues, not enough dogs. In 03 they doubled the number on 2nd and 6th and went from round to square dogs.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I was working on retrofitting an 06 tranny into a 04(wanted the close ratio and couldnt find a kit tranny). The shafts are not the same, or even close really. The 06 and up trannies are wider/longer, so cutting them down to fit was somewhat doable.

I ended up finding a kit tranny and forgot about the project.

11. FastrnU

cool, that saved me a bit of time.

thanks chad