1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printer Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by AMac, Feb 25, 2013.

1. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

OK I'm pretty much on par with Metalhead here when it comes to computer savy.

I have an old-ass Dell computer with no Wi Fi. The wife has a wi-fi laptop and we've got an Ipad as well.

We have a net gear N-150 wireless router.

The old 'wired' printer just took a dump and it is time to upgrade.

Is it possible to get a printer that I can plug old faithful into and also print from the ipad/laptop?

I don't need anything super fancy. It needs to have color, that's about it.

Thanks

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just got an HP 6510 for around $125. Copies, scans and prints.

Does the job. Right price.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Our HP all in one is still running strong after about 7 years. If you want to print directly from the Ipad make sure you get one with AirPrint, as I believe the one above does have that capability.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My last couple of printers have been refurbished from New Egg, both were Canon. No problems and you save a bunch on the purchase. Your biggest cost is going to be ink. I've bought a couple that were cheaper to replace than buy ink cartridges.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

BTW, how old is your Dell? If it is OLD, you may have a parallel port instead of USB. That requires an adapter.

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

If you're just needing a desk top printer I'd reccomend the HP D1660 through Walmart. I bought 2 for $29 each, free shipping and they came with 2 extra ink cartridges. When they run out of ink I sell them on Craigslist for $15.

It doesn't make sense to buy new ink for them at $35 per pack when you can buy the entire printer, and 2 ink carts for less.:up:

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

8. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Brother ink cartridges hold 3x as much ink as a lot of other brands.

9. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

The ink cartridges that came with your printer and the new high yield cartridge replacements are not equal.

10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I've got an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 that I really like, Wi-Fi network printer/scanner/yadda.

Think the 6510 mentioned upstream is similar, but really drains B&W ink, ISTR from reading reviews. Different cartridges (natch). I figured it was just far more economical in the long-haul to get the OfficeJet instead.

11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Got the same one and it rocks. If you print a decent amount (and I do a TON of printing) it will pay for itself in no time in savings on cartridges. I used the starter color carts for over a year and got about 8 months out of the black. Now I have the XL black and I bet it will go a year and a half easy.

Oh, and yes you can print from your Ipad, Iphone, etc and its a piece of cake.

12. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the recommendations. At least I have somewhere to start.

13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

slight threadjack

Since we're on the subject of printers, my HP Pavilion won't print documents or pictures via my Epson CX3810 or my HP 932C. With either one, the computer shows that the printer is connected (with the Epson it shows how much ink it has), but when I try to preview or print, a window comes up saying

"Before you can perform print-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer."

Or

"This picture can't be printed because no printer is installed or a service
    that Windows needs is not running."

Everything worked fine until last month. Oddly, I CAN print emails.

OS is Vista.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

14. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

We are picking up the 8600 today... wi-fi printing, and mobile printing...plus the ink is on the cheaper side, even if you don't get the high yield cartridges.

Staples for about $150.

15. cgordon3

So... there is 3 recommendations for the HP 8600,,,:D

16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

4, I have the 8600 Pro Plus, I went looking for a printer this time last year, wanted it because of the low amount of ink it goes through.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I don't have a good word to say about inkjets, but I've been using the Brother line of B&W laser for the past 5-6 yrs without fail. The ones i have aren't AirPrint capable (really...another printing standard? :down:) but otherwise work well wired/wireless and from Window$ or MacO$.

18. cgordon3

I like the laser printers too, but for home use... the inkjets just look to provide better value overall.

At work, I am all about a color laser printer, but damn are those toners expensive!!!

19. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

If your old ass Dell connects via hardwire to the N150 then you don't need to connect the printer directly to the old ass Dell if you buy any sort of network printer and connect it to the N150.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You guys still happy with these?