1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Humidors?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 8, 2013.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Of course it is personal, and maybe you have tried these, but both the petite corona and corona junior are favorites of mine.

2. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Macanudos are great for beginners or for those who just prefer a mild smoke. I also like the smell of them, and some non-cigar smokers don't seem to mind the smell of them.

I'm not a die-hard cigar smoker and don't require the highest rated cigars to enjoy them. I have several favorites, including Partagas robusto, Partagas #10, Punch Gran Puro, and occasionally a Hoyo de Monterrey. I go to my cigar shop, peruse the inventory, and buy singles rather than boxes. My shop will usually stock gift boxes from different brands, and they are usually a pretty good deal with a free stick. Sometimes they don't appeal to me, sometimes I find a new brand.

Once you get your feet wet in the cigar world and start to feel comfortable, you can really get crazy by exploring scotch. An addiction all its own, and it becomes even more complex when you start comparing different cigars with different scotches.

Enjoy!

3. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I usually buy mine through Cigars International. I live in PA so regular shipping is overnight. Prices are great. I have 3 or 4 different humidors right now. A big one that I do some aging for some good smokes, my day to day box and another that I keep in the garage.

Cubans are nice if you can find them but I prefer Punch, Rocky Patel, Man O' War, and Perdomos.

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Thanks I will have to look at C.I.

5. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I also use C.I. almost exclusively for my cigar purchases. Sometimes I'll grab one of their samplers just to try several different makes and take notes if something particularly strikes my fancy.

6. assjuice cyrus

I never would of thought there was so much into cigars. I have to admit though it is really kinda cool to buy these different ones to see what you like. I have only had one and I am already hooked wanting to try more. lol

7. gixxernaut

Now just get yourself a Dupont lighter and you'll be all set... :D

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Dupont ping!

8. assjuice cyrus

What about a ronson jet lighter? Cause thats what I got. Lol

9. gixxernaut

Those are nice too, especially in windy conditions trackside. That blue torch flame looks like it could withstand hurricane force winds. I have a similar lighter that has two torch flames like that. Edit: It's the Black Ops Alpha lighter available from C.I.

Ronson makes horrid butane though. Get the good stuff that's at least triple refined. No need to pollute your cigar with sooty Ronson butane.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  10. assjuice cyrus

Thanks, I didnt know there was differnt kinds of butane. Will it say on the can that it is triple refined?

11. gixxernaut

Yes. Ronson butane doesn't say anything on it because it ain't. Quality butane (which doesn't cost much more) will say at least triple refined, some go much higher than that. Xikar Purofine is refined to the point of "Near Zero Impurities."

12. assjuice cyrus

Yea, I will make sure I get the good stuff. Last thing I want is to spend good money for a good cigar only to have nasty butane tant the cigar. Thanks

13. tito

tito Well-Known Member

what is the average size of a cigar? I want to build a humidor for a buddy that smokes, but not sure how wide and long to make it.....

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

15. assjuice cyrus

Ok, got a dumb question. The cigars with a pointed tip, Do I cut those any different,or just cut the tip? I read somewhere that you want to lay the cutter on a flat surface plce the cigar in the cutter and that all you wanna cut. Does that same method apply with the pointed tip ones?

16. gixxernaut

It's not that critical. I usually cut torpedoes so the opening is almost as wide as the cigar body. Too small a hole can sometimes make drawing difficult. Depending on the filler it can also contribute to tunneling.

17. assjuice cyrus

Tunneling? Dam you guys are really making relize how little I know! :crackup:

18. gixxernaut

Heh...

Tunneling = fire burrows inside the filler without burning the wrapper.

Canoeing = Fire burns the wrapper on one side but not the other.

19. assjuice cyrus

Ok, got it! What other terms do I need to know?

20. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

purge - blowing air out thru the cigar to burn off built up tar/gasses/etc

Do it at night while holding your lighter in front of it and get a cool light show!! :D