1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key Largo

Discussion in 'General' started by Dano711, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

What does the WERA BBS travel channel suggest for Key Largo? I'll be here for a few weeks playing tourist. So far planning on diving the reef at Pennekamp park and skydiving at Key West.

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

All I did when I went there was dive for a few days. Went to Key West one night and Miami for a day trip to a beach.

3. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

'Montego, baby why dont we go...'

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

This time of year, book a half day charter to chase sailfish right off the reef.

Go to Woody's in Islamorada.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Go to Bahia Honda, just on the other side of the Seven Mile Bridge from Marathon, and just hang out.

Then go to the far west side of the island and jump off this bridge...part of the old Flagler railroad. It's a blast!

[​IMG]

6. Dits

I have a feeling that the county isn't allowing bridge jumping anymore. Plus, between the tides and the hammerheads in the bridge channels, I'm not sure I'd want to (and I do some stupid shit.)

7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

So . . . how did the python round-up go? :Poke:

8. Dits

Too busy at work. I skipped it.

9. rd400racer

We never asked them...we just went to the top and jumped!

Then again, I was 20 years old and drunk, so that might have factored in to the equation;)

(by the way, we always heard the story of some huge hammerhead that supposedly lived under the span)

10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Bingo!

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thanks alot! I missed my chance to live vicariously through you during that missed oportunity :rolleyes:

12. Dits

Indian Key channel about 100 yards oceanside from the bridge, I had one chomp a hooked, full size tarpon just behind the head right next to the boat. The boat was a 16 foot flats boat. I swear that fish was as long as the boat. :eek:

13. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Robbie's Marina. Hand-feed the tarpon.

14. RADAR Magnet

RADAR Magnet Member

Go to Key West and dive the Vandenberg (assuming you have your advanced open water certification). I've used Southpoint Divers a few times and been pleased. Good wrecks up around Key Largo too.

15. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member

Great diving in Key Largo. Plenty of reef and shipwrecks (as shallow as 25' and deep as 100'+). More dive shops than gas stations. Check Scubaboard.com for local info.

16. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

I drove to Key West and saw a P51 Mustang, B24,and a B17 at the Marathon airport. Pulled in to take some pics and rented some seat time in the P51. I never thought I'd have .7 P51 Mustang time in my log book. :). RD400, I went to Bahia Honda but didn't jump:D. :up: Dits, if Woody's is like their promo video then I'll pass. Check out the video. :crackup: Next week is Skydive Miami, and lots of scuba. Mrs. Mac's has awesome food and Key Lime pie if your hungry down here. I've been craving some good Italian if anyone has suggestions.

17. rd400racer

Sounds like you're having a great time Dan! Yeah, I did the P51 myself years ago.

Headed to Marathon myself on Saturday...can't wait.

I'm curious to see how my old station looks after being away for 30 years.

18. Dits

I didn't know that they had a website. I can't find it.

I promise you, no trip to the upper keys is complete without a trip to Woody's. Make sure to go on a night when Big Dick and the Extenders are playing. Nothing is more fun than strippers, a full liquor bar and a foul-mouth, insulting, singing Seminole Indian.

19. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Wow, tort boy can't find a titty bar website...:eek:

You suck at the inner tubes

20. Dits

I found it.

Shouldn't you be putting on your bathrobe and scratching your sack with a palm frond about now, beach hippie?:Poke: