1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Aquisition, Lap timers n stuff.

Discussion in 'General' started by borgy, Jan 26, 2013.

1. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

What have you used or have? Starlane, GPX, which are the easiest to use. I have alot of money invested in this upcoming race season and would like to get a unit so i can do some analyzing and actually see where and when im doing it wrong. Not to mention it would be nice to be able to monitor engine temps and other things as well. I have an 07 R6. Just doing some research and figure someone on here has to have used these units and might be able to help a sucker out.

2. XT Pro, the GPS one. To me, it is the easiest to use. I had the Starlane one and shitcanned it before ever turning a lap with it. It was too complicated and pissed me off.

The XT one can be used to gather tons of data on the bike, or you can just slap it on and use it as a lap timer. I like it a lot.

3. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

the starlane one just looks complicated and really expensive. i dont need fancy.

4. Me either. I say go with XT :up:

5. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Stealth Upgrades

Thanks for the comments on the Starlane products.

If it has been a while since you have looked at our lap timers, you may want to revisit them.

Simplification - We have listened to the feedback, and have simplified the setting of the initial settings.
    Now, to set the start / finish line, you only have to push one button while sitting in the pit out lane.
    The lap timer will look at the next two laps that you complete, and automatically insert the start/finish line, as well as 4 intermediate points.
    This upgrade is available via a firmware update for many of the previous lap timers.

Downloading data - The Bluetooth link has been replaced by a usb port. Insert a thumb drive into the port, and all the lap timer data will be downloaded into the thumb drive, ready to be uploaded to the pc.

Analysis - Software has been upgraded to automatically allow you to overlay the gps path over a Google earth image of the race track. The software will also keep itself current by automatically downloading updates from Starlane.
    The ability for advanced users to overlay video data and expand the system to include advanced data acquisition remains.

6. That is cool info. I do have to admit that it has been a couple of years since i attempted to use the Starlane.

7. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I'm on the same hunt - talked to Yoyodyne and looks like I might use the Starlane model without a dash. Very helpful and knowledgeable.

I want to log front/rear potentiometers, rpm, gps, 2 speed sensors, brake pressure without tapping into the existing wire harness and ecu. No need for a dash, just data only.

This way will allow me to take the system to any bike without too much hassle.

8. Patent1

Patent1 Well-Known Member

I bought a Starlane a few years ago, and replaced it with the XTPro last summer for several reasons, including ease of use, increase capability and customer support. I don't have too much experience with the XT yet, but I recommend it over the Starlane products, which appear to be more expensive. XT has a decent website to support their product, Starlane not so much (at least last year - I haven't bothered to look since deciding on the XT).

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

At what Hz does the Starlane log the suspension potentiometers?

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I think the max frequency is 100 Hz.

12. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Data frequency depends on the product line.
    The Stealth and Athon is fixed at 10 Hz

The top of the line Davinci R is user selectable. Each data channel can be set from 1 to 200 hz.

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I was referring to the Davinci R. Thanks for the correction, Fred.

14. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

XT GPx pro is sitting here, ready to be mounted during off-season.
    their customer service is great!

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How fast does suspension need to be monitored? Is 100MHZ all that is needed? I'm presuming most things are ok at 10Hz, but haven't done this and I'm considering it for this year.

16. dav612

dav612 Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm David Weber with XT Racing. I want to thank everyone for the kind words. We put a lot of our design emphasis on functionality with ease of use.

I just wanted to add a few comments about our GPX Pro system....

It will record all channels as either a digital or analog input with 200hz sampling rate and we have just updated the firmware to allow the suspension channels to record at 500hz.

Geoff... I think our system will fit your requirements perfectly. The GPX Pro 8 will give you 8 channels of input. GPS comes with it and does not count for one of those channels. If you use our Breakout Box, you will just have to plug in the sensors to the Breakout Box. All you will need to attach to the bike is 12v power, ground and one wire for the RPM.

You can also customize all of the different display screens and display the information that is important to you and make it look how you want.

17. Maxrr

Maxrr Well-Known Member

I have used the GPX Pro for a year now. It is very easy to use and set up. Customer service is great and when there is a problem with the unit, XT takes care of it...

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

David Weber. One of my favorite humans! Thanks for posting, Dave!

19. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

ok to contact you somehow when im ready to get going on this little project? Most of this stuff is way beyond my understanding. I hoping to get this stuff settled in the next few months. Gotta get the engine back in the bike and broken in before i spend more money getting really fancy.