Healthy Cooking and Marathon Training Blog

Discussion in 'General' started by tjg412, Oct 2, 2012.

1. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

I started in December, first did one of those obstacle course deals then signed up for a half marathon and started training.
    Been training for the last four months for an 50k and a 50 miler in December.
    Can't stand running on roads but loving the trails, I got a super nice park close to the house with awesome hiking trails.
    If anyone would like I have a good program for 20 to 30 mile races, its 18 weeks long. If so, just let me know.

Hey Stick, I'll run Saturday after the endurance race.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Tiffanator

Tiffanator Z1000 Chicky

Good blog, I bookmarked it. I have a half ironman in a month and throughout all of my training, nutrition has been my downfall. I'm not a cook, I don't have time to cook and when I do have time I don't know what to cook. I think I'll print out a bunch of her recipes and go stock the pantry.

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I got a 20-miler on Saturday. Final "long run" before the Marine Corps Marathon. After that I taper down and my longest will be like 8-miles. I ran 16-miles last weekend. I'm not looking forward to this weekend. It's painful. :(

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

If you don't mind waiting up fo rme, I'm game.

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

There's a place doing this in town called Dinners on the Porch. My wife gets them from time-to-time. I'm not sure how they do it though. I remember reading on another downtown blog that you can get the kitchen at your home certified by the Health Department. But I'm assuming that wouldn't work for everybody's kitchen (like mine).

6. Norton#357

Norton#357 Well-Known Member

My wife is 'Gluten Free Gigi' and has a site dedicated to food allergies and healthy eating. She has a gluten free flower mix that she would like to market but can't ship it out of state without FDA approval. In Ga there is a 'Cottage' business designation which allows you to make products in your home and sell them in state but you can't ship across state lines (legally).

We have found that it is diffucult to monetize the foody blog/website idea even there is some great info out there. It's just hard to sell something that they can get for free somewhere else.

Best of luck to shannongough.

7. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

If any of you local Winston-Salem guys are interested, my wife is starting a 3 month P90X group class training session Feb 4, 2013. You can check out all the details on her website http://www.shannongough.com which has been recently updated. 5 of the 10 spots are already taken so sign up soon if you are interested.

8. Joe Morris

I'll spread the word. :up:

9. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

Well, we did it this past weekend, all 26.2 miles. Here's the final blog post about this incredible journey http://blog.shannongough.com/2013/01/262-miles-done.html

Best of luck to all of those that are training to do the same. It was awesome to cross that finish line and be able to say I just completed a marathon.

10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

lol

11. Joe Morris

Way to go Tracy! :beer:

12. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

I realize this thread may be almost dead without the injection today. I'll toss in 2 cents anyway.

For -anyone- that is doing thons', please ensure to incorporate core exercises into your routine. Running long distances puts strain on the system and there can be a lack of yin and yang. Not only does this keep one balanced, but it'll certainly make it easier and allow runs to pick up the pace.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

How is that working for you? I ask because, I have always worked it in the other direction: increase distance and time before addressing speed.

My long distance journey began in the Army. I was a super slow runner. I started running because there was nothing else to do in Fort Riley. Before long, I had dropped my two miles time from the 17's to the high 10's.

To me marathons or any longer distance is a mental exercise. Speed to me is a function of my weight.

14. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I didn't come close to my personal goal of 4:30, mainly due to a runners knee issue I had to let heal and did almost no training the 4-5 weeks leading up to the marathon, but I finished which was goal #1. I may do another one someday, I'll definitely do half marathons, but that will always eat at me until I run another one.

15. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Running sux ... don't know why I keep doing it.Just finished my 3 rd half this past weekend at Naples,FL ... 1:56:35 ..... can't figure out how something so easy is so damn hard.

16. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Good work on the full marathon !!

17. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

Thanks, and let me know if you ever figure out how to make it easy ;)