Trailer Tire Blow-Outs

Discussion in 'General' started by MC Power House, Jan 21, 2013.

1. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Do any of the manufactures make a trailer tire that stands out from the competition?

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I didn't used to have trailer tire problems until I got a size rim that left me with Goodyear as the only option. Then it went downhill. I've since decided that the peoples republic of China is worth a shot. They won't be worse than the winged ones, and they cost half as much.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Depends on what size you are looking for, in a 14" Kumho makes a killer load range D tire.

4. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

For 16" wheels Goodyear G614 IS the tire
    I used to blow a tire 1-2 times a month during summer; same load 10 years later I am just replacing tires.

5. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I did the same six E rated tyres mounted and balanced for under $600 is hard to pass up. I haven't had any issues in a year and a half (knock wood). The trailer came with Goodyears and IMO they suck had four blow outs in three years two on the way back from VIR with in 50miles of each other. :rolleyes:

6. Agreed that it isnt necessarily a matter of maintenance. I recently had a blowout on the Toy Hauler and it is a 2012 model with only a few trips on it...and i check tire pressure (and lug nuts) before every trip, on all 6 wheels.

The suckass part is that it was one of the wheels in the back and i never knew it. I didnt know it had blown till i got to Jennings. By then, there was no tire left at all. Just a 1" rubber ring around the inside of the rim of what used to be the tire. And it tore some shit up (the TH is at the dealership right now getting repaired).

7. stickboy274

I gave up thinking it was me when some would go for years, and others wouldn't make it through a season. Those G614's have no consistency or quality control as best as I can figure.

I will tell you this, when a tire with 110 psi blows, everybody knows it.

8. We heard you the first time :Poke:

9. stickboy274

Man, computer went all crazy I guess the idea of me in the shower was too much for it.

10. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

If your a 15" er like me and you dont have the option to go XPS Ribs, the Koo-Mo is the best one out there. I went thru 3 other brands till I found this one in an E rated 15". If you have 16" and up....Michelin XPS. These are the conclusions of my studies after 3 years of blowouts. Trailer is 12K loaded.

11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Its always the back axle. And it always takes out a fender, reflector, light or plate when it goes.

12. MC Power House

MC Power House www.mphbikes.com

I agree that these things can happen no matter how often you check the pressures.

If you get a nail in the tire it would be nice to have a low pressure and following high temp warning before s*** hits the fan.

I would much rather pull to the side and change a tire than to go look for your fender down the road and try to change something that's molten lava hot...

13. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I've had several blow outs on my camper, one time it was so violent it tore the camper up a bit. I use sensors now and it's saved me more than once.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was really sick and tired of paying $140+ for a tire that has no f***ing warranty. Now I just put LT tires on the trailers we have. Seems to work alot better. Only caveat is that we have to bring the wheels in seperate to the tire shop and pretend like they are going on a truck.
    GY just warrantied one that developed a nice bubble on the side. The tire was 7 months old (2012 production date)

15. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

How big are your trailers? Was thinking about doing this...

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

7x16, 7x20, and a 12' flatbed trailer

17. punkadilly

punkadilly Well-Known Member

The women I know, check their trailer tires constantly. We love our horses & don't want an accident. That said, I have still had to change a trailer tire on the side of the road - basically by myself.

and someone point out bigtime to me at the track ... so I can give him the snake eye & cold shoulder :crackhead:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  18. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

It's no wonder the tires don't last long , ever watch a trailer being turned around in the pits, the bind and pulling on the wheels look like they are about to be pulled off the rims.

19. stickboy274

The GY's for mine are $370 at dealer price. No warranty and inconsistent. The PRC tires are $200. That's why I'm giving them a try.

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member