1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck to an SUV?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pittenger5, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

2. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Free Candy!!!!

:D

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

To once again sound like a nutball I wish they'd get rid of the Chicken tax and that Mitsubishi would bring in the Triton or VW would bring in the amarok. Small(ish), cheap pick up with a diesel engine and AWD.

A Ram 1500 would kick ass but it's a bit too big for me. I'd need a boost to get in and a parachute to get out.

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Four door truck with leer cap on the bed.

5. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Ford. Excursion. 7.3

:D

6. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Shame they don't still make those. :D

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

This. My Suburban is going away, replaced by a van. The van can do everything the SUV can do but do it better. Carry more people? Van. Tow more? Van. Carry more "stuff"? Van. ACDNate is spot on. A small trailer will handle anything I don't want inside and serve as a bed.

8. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

+1

My Titan has more room in the cab than most 1/2 ton trucks out there. I did go with a vinyl roll up bed cover though, in case I have to tow anything that's tall.

9. mgrant

mgrant Well-Known Member

I have a newer Suburban with the tow package and factory brake controller. Pretty perfect, though large. I do wish GM developed the small diesel, but it tows fiNe with the 6 speed.

10. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I made this exact switch a couple years ago. FJ is much more fun and convenient around town. It tows my 6x10 enclosed trailer as good or better than the Ram (small v8). It is small, no storage. With the seats folded down, I was able to squeeze in (barely) a few sheets of 3x5 backerboard for a tile job.
    Visibility is bad or at best awkward.

I like it and don't regret the change.

11. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

that is the only reason i bought an suv, usually you do not get these calls

12. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

I kinda went the other direction. For past several yrs, I've had a 4-Runner, then an FJ. Traded the FJ for a Tacoma double cab last yr. The truck has been handy for sure, but I miss that enclosed cargo area, especially if the kids are with us on a grocery run on a rainy day. I guess I could put a cap on it, but it just doesn't seem worth it. The bikes go on trailer, so no difference between either.

13. zx1012r

zx1012r WERA Wannabe

Switched long ago when the kids came along.

You wouldn't believe the stuff I strapped to the roof. You've probably seen the internet pictures of me at Home Depot.

Then I started racing and got a small 5 X 10 landscape trailer. Best thing ever. Able to tow the bikes (granted it's open and the bikes get wet) and sleep in the Tahoe at the track. No tent setup or take down. Ten years of racing and I never needed more.

Plus when I need stuff, I can just go get it, and not be the guy with a kids plastic pirate ship strapped to the roof. Arrrrrrrgggggh!

14. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

:stupid: I had a customer that was towing a 25' camper with an '08 sequoia, (the year they went to IRS). His tires were all sorts of cut up from the built in camber effect.

I was able to align it to near 1.0 degrees with ballast to simulate his tongue weight and it helped considerably, but it still didn't wear the tires evenly in the rear.

If you do go the SUV route and plan on having a bunch of tongue weight, look for a ute with a solid axle. If you have to settle on IRS, have a specific rear alignment done, with ballast over the rear axle. It will always be a compromise, but it'll help.

Edit: one nice thing about an SUV is; you can always lay down the back seats and sleep in it.

15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Put a tonneau cover on it, the roll-up style. It's like having a trunk area but without height limitations on clear days...

To the OP, I wouldn't dream of owning a FJ..test drove one and the visibility just bothered me and the idea of hauling tall stuff being limited I'd suggest looking for a double cad truck of some make...personally.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's not always a good idea. I used to have an Expedition and would sleep on an air mattress in the back at the track. I woke up one morning with some lady getting out of the truck that had parked next to me getting an eyeful of me, laying on top of the air mattress, blankets kicked off, boxers crooked, junk hanging out.

17. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I know the FJ is kind of small, but thats what I like about it. Easier to manage around town. I wont be buying for a bit, so I'm just gonna take notes until then of everything I put in the bed of my truck. Willing to bet it will be motorcycles, and thats it. Everything else goes in the cab anyway.

18. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Also wish there was a diesel option but in all honesty, the Burb is almost perfect for my needs. Tows my 7x14 without any issues plus I'm able to stick the wife, 2 kids and the dogs inside without a problem. I can even fit the in-laws in and still bring the dogs.

Pull out the 3rd row, fold up the 2nd row captain chairs and you have a ton of cargo space!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  19. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

:crackup: but how does that affect you? :Poke: If you walk around enough at the track, there's always some one changing somewhere semi-public.

Ps. I have 5% tint on all of the back windows and will hang a sheet over the top of the front seat headrests if I'm in a congested area. Most of the time we just load up the trailer, grab our stuff, and move the SUV to a secluded area.

20. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Well there's your problem, you bought a Ram... :Poke: