1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iRacing, again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Flex Axlerod, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I like it...but then again I like big motored rear wheel drive cars. I think it's the most balanced out of the box car. Easy to drive up to the limit and a little more forgiving just over it.

The Ford GT is faster but more difficult to drive at the same speeds and takes more setup time to get right.

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I also like it, problem now is that every idiot has started racing it.
    It's really caused some issues with splits in GT Challenge.

3. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

This looks like something fun that I could put in my office...What's a rock bottom price for a decent set up? Even used...

I would love to have the seat and all that...But could you have fun with this with just a nice monitor and desk / wheel / pedal set up??

Thanks!

4. Venom51

The Obutto Ozone is the best deal going for a chassis. The PC doesn't have to be the latest greatest either. On single monitor even a machine you can get by with a little bit older hardware as long as the graphics card is good.

I raced for a long time sitting at my desk in a kitchen chair.

5. Mad RR

Mad RR Well-Known Member

Yeah we are talking about iracing.com. It's just on the pc and it's really more a racing simulator compared to a racing game like gran turismo. The GT games aren't bad I had all of them, but once I found iracing I quit racing on the ps3 all together other than some bike racing. Without going into it to much Iracing is just so much better for all sorts of reason.

I agree. I like it as well and have the same thoughts. On the road side I normally just race open wheel/open cockpit cars like the HPD and F1, but I'm liking the mclaren.

I'm sure it has. Every GT practice I've been in there about 80% mclarens lol. I normally don't race GT's but I like the Mclaren so I'm sure there quite a few like myself driving the mclaren.

Yes you can still have just as much fun with a basic setup. You don't really need a whole lot to get started. You need a pc that has at least a dual core processor and 2 GB of ram and at least a half decent graphics card. You can use a laptop if you want. A good starter wheel setup is the logitech DFGT and that's $100, give or take where you order from, for the wheel and pedals. You can get a 3 month free membership still I think by using the cadillac promotion or there are other deal like 3 months for $15 or your first year for $50, it's normally $100 for a year. Depending on your computer situation you can get started by spending $100-$150.

6. 13x

13x 13x.com

Did someone mention iRacing? Start a WERA league w/ the Radical and the Mclaren and I'll show up.

7. Venom51

You guys want to run a fun round on Sunday afternoon say 6:30 7ish?

I can't remember which cars and tracks come with the 3 month trial... I guess it would be good to start with those so people don't have to purchase anything to see if they like it.

8. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

i'll hold down the back of the pack lol

9. Venom51

Ok...seeing what's available with the trial I say either Caddys at Summit Point or MX5 Cup cars at Laguna Seca. The MX5's at Lime Rock are fun as well.

If everybody wants something else and are willing to buy the additional items than I'm up for that as well. I own pretty much every road course and every car that isn't oval related.

I also have a teamspeak server available for smack talking.

Download the client here -> http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=teamspeak3

Server address is : hfd1ts.homedns.org
    password : hfd1

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

Can anybody explain how this compares to something like Forza4? I think Forza beats the crap out of Grand Tourismo but neither are what I would consider realistic.

11. Venom51

Forza and Gran Tourismo are a little more forgiving of driving with sticks and buttons. This won't be as easy to drive as those are.

It's still just a racing simulation though. It's not perfect but they do their best to be as accurate to the real world as possible. The laser scanned tracks are inch perfect to the real world counterparts.

I've played them all and pretty much stopped playing the others after moving to iRacing.

12. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

I'm headed to the gym and got to run some errands, but later this afternoon i'll get on and get some practice in....

as a noob i havent come to terms with the ctsv yet, so mx5 sounds better to me :D the track doesnt matter as i'll be slow at any of 'em

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Sorry I have not been back since I started the thread. I am IN for tonight if this happens. I am way addicted to this game.

14. Mad RR

Mad RR Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm up for a race. I have to leave around 8 so I can race for a little bit if we start around 6:30-7:00. I think the cadillac at summit or one of the other base content tracks would be fun. I don't drive the miata or cadillac really anymore other than messing around with the miata at okayama short so I'll probably be pretty slow, but I'll race whatever since it's just for fun.

15. Venom51

Alright...I'll host a session at 6:30 tonight...MX5's at Lime Rock or Laguna.

Unless everyone wants to go big with the Caddy at Laguna. Tell me before 6pm so I can be ready to host.

16. Mad RR

Mad RR Well-Known Member

I'd be ok with the caddy at Laguna but its up to everyone else. If we do the miata I'd rather race it at lime rock even though I've raced there about 3 times total. Never liked that track but I think miatas at Laguna would get to spread out with no more than we will probably have.

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I vote caddy at Laguna but will gladly race anything.

18. Venom51

Caddy at Laguna is good. Charlie and I don't drive those at all and most should know the Laguna layout so there shouldn't be any real advantage for anybody.

19. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

i dont know how to join hosted races, so if someone could help me out when the time comes, i'd appreciate it!

20. Venom51

Just above the red and blue bar that says Press Room on the left and Dashboard on the right is a grey bar. In that bar you'll need to hover over Hosted-> Click Join a Race.

The session name will be HFD1 Motorsports WERA....

password will be : hfd1