1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got more than I gave

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, Dec 24, 2012.

1. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Went to the mall on Saturday to get some last-minute things with the wife. Mall was crowded, not not as crazy as I imagined it would be. Decided while we're there to stop in to the Cheesecake Factory for some lunch and to get some dessert. (their oreo cheesecake is my drug-of-choice)

While sitting there eating lunch, I noticed at the table across the aisle there was a young soldier in camo-fatigues, with his young wife sitting across from him. They were both so young, just getting started in life, that I found myself going back in time to when I was a young airman in the Air Force. I was half a nation from home, and during the holidays it was particularly lonely.

I had a different waitress than they had, but as I saw their waiter check on them and then walk away, I got up and followed him around the corner.

Me: I want you to put their tab on my tab, but don't tell them who did it, ok?

Him: You sure? It'll probably be around 40 or 50 bucks.

Me: Can you just do it without them finding out who did it?

Him: Sure, no problem.

The waiter shook my hand and thanked me, then went about his duties.

I returned to my table and my wife and I finished a nice lunch, and I had the obligatory oreo cheesecake.

The young couple was about to get up and leave, and when I saw the wife pull out some money and leave it on the table, I was afraid that something had gone wrong, thinking they were just leaving enough to cover everything.

I got up and moved in just behind them as they were leaving, and saw that the wife had left $15 and a note, saying, "people like you make me proud to defend this country, The Sewards".

Evidently, she thought the waiter had done it, which was fine by me. I told the waiter to just keep the large tip too, though he wanted to return it to them, but they'd already walked out. But I have to say, I got way more out of that gesture than either of them can possibly imagine. It just felt...... right. Can't really explain it properly. Maybe it's just the last 10 days or so that we've all been through, Sandy Hook Elementary and it also being Christmas and all.

But I'm so blessed in life, and I'm grateful for all I have to be so thankful for including all the knuckleheads on here that constantly make me laugh out loud at your quick wit. I don't know many of you personally, but I feel as if I know you all, and I hope one day to share a beer or two with many of you. Merry Christmas, Wera Beeb.

Thanks for all the fun you guys have provided me with throughout the year. God Bless You All.

2. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Very nice....Having spent a few holidays "away" in the Army myself...at least he was with someone other than his fulltime family. The ones away looking up at stars in a strange sky...saying "lets roll guys" well you know.....

3. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Well done sir!

4. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Awesome story and classy gesture! We need more people like you on this earth!

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Awesome of you man.:clap:

6. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Good job!

I did basically the same thing today- a Korea and Vietnam Air Force Veteran (according to patches on his flight jacket) along with his wife i suppose came into waffle housr and made small talk while I was there eating. We had the same waitress so when i went to pay i got their ticket and took care of it (wasnt much honestly). I didnt ask to remain anonymous so if the waitress told him who paid for it maybe it will let him know even us younger ones appreciate the sacrifices it takes to serve.

7. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I've had it done for me before while in Military uniform and Police uniform. I have returned the favor several times as well. Makes you feel good to do it, and I never thought of the Older Vets but that is now on my list also.

9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yeah this happens more often than you would think.

Once some 10 of us were having a lunch, and two of our friends were in uniform, someone we dont know covered the check for all 10 of us.

Very nice gesture for sure.

10. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Props to you man, makes you feel good to be able to do that for someone.

11. Chip

Chip Registered

26 random acts of kindness.....25 more to go.

Merry Christmas Stan.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Stan...I salute you...Merry Christmas.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

14. Aaron71

Aaron71 BEEMER

Nice Read!

Spent ALL day in Posture #2 (IBA)...INCOMING..107's!! :mad:

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :D

15. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Very nice gesture, but IMO it would have been classier if you weren't bragging about it on here.

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

don't "over" think about it as bragging.... think about leading by example, paying it forward, ect..... we would have a better world, if more people offered random acts of kindness more often.

good job, Stan! Ski

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I dunno....sometimes a little hint like this motivates others. I say, Way to go!

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree, just sharing a good deed.

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Good thread. Merry Christmas.:)

20. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

:up: :up: :up: To ya Stan....well played..:beer: