obtaining a private flight license ??

Discussion in 'General' started by samizx7, Nov 5, 2012.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's why I mentioned aerobatic gliders earlier. It's a hoot, and the hell of a lot cheaper than doing that kind of stuff with an engine.

2. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Wow, I know a couple of guys that went through ENJJPT. What Academy class were you and what put you med down if you don't mind my asking?

3. MrOneNut

MrOneNut Well-Known Member

I graduated in 2006, RTB for life. Testicular cancer, which was compounded by the fun of a divorce and losing my dream job. Racing pulled me out of the gutter!

4. MrOneNut

And to echo Papa, glider flying is some of the most fun I have hours for in my logbook. I did the Soaring Instructor Pilot thing at the Academy and it was a blast. Got to see the sun hit the rockies most mornings and couldn't help but smile. Glider flying is one of the greatest secrets for economic fun flying. Cross country flying in a glider is a great challenge and most glider's can do mild aerobatics and spins. If there is a glider port near where you are at, definently give it a try.

5. XNachoX

XNachoX Well-Known Member

Powered Paragliding.

[​IMG]

$5-10k for the full setup

No license

Minimal regulation (FAR 103)(aka. don't fly over "congested areas" and don't be stupid)

I am 25 and a private pilot with ~250hrs. I've been flying PPG for 2 years (ran out of time and money for airplanes in college), and it is as wild or tame as you want it to be. It has not replaced motorcycles, but I now have a bad ass hobby that I can enjoy on the weekends. FO CHEAP! I usually take off from a farm an hour away from my house. We are limited to good, calm weather. You will never master it.

My first solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtjGmUcibhg&feature=share&list=UUEBW8KbC4TlHuyKMWxjh97A

For more information see my photos I've taken from the air at www.sam-nash.com

And some videos...www.youtube.com/melvinsnash

Shoot me a message if you're in Georgia and want to check it out.

For more info see http://www.USPPA.org/Resources/WantToFly.htm

-Sam

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  6. 675AV8R

No shit? What squadron were you in? I would have been c/o 2007 :eek: Though I don't think many of us would admit that as proudly as others :crackup:

And talk about a kick in the balls :eek:

7. MrOneNut

4 Degree year in 22, graduated out of 26. 2007, small world for sure. That place seems like a distant memory.

Kick in the balls, sure. Getting to ask a urologist after 45 minutes of serious conversation if a prosthetic testicle comes in "BRASS," priceless!

8. 675AV8R

:crackup: :up:

I was in 27 4/C year, 31 3/C year. Chose to leave the day 2/C year started to pursue Naval aviation. Should have stayed :eek:

9. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

What are the max winds you can fly in?

10. XNachoX

XNachoX Well-Known Member

Laminar and at the beach? 15 or so. Over that its difficult to launch.

Inland, where I fly, anything more than 5 will be bumpy and shitty. We usually fly with no wind in the morning and evening. Those are the trickiest takeoffs. Mid day thermals = bumps and upsetting of the not-rigid wing.

I flew from Jennings grass parking lot at a track day a while back on lunch break. The owner is a pilot. That was pretty crappy air.

Edit: those wind speed are on the ground. We fly regularly with 20mph at cruise altitude around 1k ft.

-Sam

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

That's skydiving...

Much, much less boring!

12. 675AV8R

And you don't necessarily need clothes for that :crackup:

13. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I'll back up what others have already stated here, It's kinda boring, nothing thilling.

I've had about 62 hours behind the stick going towards my IFR rating. Started going after my license post 9/11 because I was flying so often for work back then I thought it might be easier to just buy my own and fly myself to see customers. After doing my solo cross country flights I was just totally bored with it. The cramped cockpit of the Cessna 172, not be able to stop for a piss and it feels like your going so damn slow.

If you really want to go for it you should get your training textbooks and study them first before booking too many training flights. If you master the information from the books while on the ground it'll make you much more confident while in the air. And try to find a poster of the cockpit so you can sit in your desk at thome and practice your pre flight and emergency drills, getting comfortable with the navi, dash switches and their locations is helpful.

Just recently my wife expressed interest in getting her license and buying a Cessna 414 from a customer of mine so that we can pack up all 5 kids and fly around the islands. We'll see what happens.

14. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

baaallleeeerr!

haha

/jealous :(

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get a boat, stopping to take a leak is way easier :D

16. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

From a cost perspective, to get your license spending the minimum amount of money, there are 2 important things you can do:

1. Join a local flying club, if there's one available, that is non-profit (meaning the club members own the plane) and that allows student pilots. The cost of flying a club plane is typically 10-30% cheaper than renting the exact same make and model because you aren't paying anyone any profit.
    2. Once you start your training fly as often as possible. This keeps you fresh and not having to waste valuable flying time relearning something you did months ago when you last flew.

In 1997 I sold a '94 ZX9 to have the money in the bank, joined a local flying club with a Piper Archer, tried to fly twice a week for an hour each time, and got my license at 44 hours. The national average is somewhere around 70 hours because most people stop and start multiple times, usually because of money. I did all of this in 4 months in 1997 for a total cost of $3500-4000.

I love to fly but it's best described as 'hours of boredom separated my seconds of sheer terror' ;-) Once I got my instrument rating a few years later that added to the fun exponentially. I typically only fly when I want to go somewhere, I'm not a Sunday afternoon joyride pilot, and you can't beat it as a means of travel.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're a good pilot shouldn't it always be boring? :D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shit can break.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah. Guess I don't see that as sheer terror if you know what to do. Then again I don't do panic well.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Doesn't have to be sheer terror, but it certainly get your attention and is not boring.