Fork leaking after seals replaced.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by john westcott, Oct 25, 2012.

1. john westcott

john westcott Well-Known Member

I just replaced the seals and noticed one of them still leaking. I see vertical lines that may be scratches at the point of travel, but cant feel them with my finger nail. What can be done on a budget to fix this?

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

scratches can be buffed out. Are the seals in correctly, is there any dust behind them?

3. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

What bike? Did you use fork seal lube? You may have cut the seal installing it. Bushings worn out? Junk fork seals? What brand did you use?

4. john westcott

FZR600, completely rebuilt forks, bushings looked good and I didn't cut the seal. It is leaking at the scratch marks. I heard of clear nail polish filling in the scratch.

5. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

I dont think clear nail polish will do anything, probably make it leak faster. What brand seals did you use? How deep are the scratches? You probably need new tubes.

6. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

7. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I always polish my tubes real good before put them back together.

8. john westcott

Well after taking the fork apart and using 1500 wet dry sand paper, I may have fixed it. I went up and down my street pumping the brakes and no sign of leaking. I learned about the no leak seals a long time ago.