1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you 'blue collared'?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Oct 10, 2012.

1. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

My collar is blue Monday-Thursday and green on Fridays...

2. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

I literally weigh dead fish and pack them in boxes then shovel ice on them for a living. None of my shirts even have a collar.

3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Officers through Sergeants would be blue-collar (as their uniforms are blue).

Supervisors, Lieutenants, Captains, Commanders, Chiefs etc. are white-collar. Their uniforms are white-shirt, no?

I don't know about Detectives - would depend on the Department, but I'd say the color of their uniform shirt is probably a dead giveaway.

4. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

I operate this from time to time if I don't want to be in the office...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm in IT and wear whatever in the heck I want. Sometimes I do physical labor such as installing servers, racks, cabling crap up... but I mostly sit in front of computers all night long clicking and typing away at the keyboard. I dunno if you'd call me white, blue, or squarely in between. I enjoy my job (for the most part), so that's all that matters to me. I have ZERO desire to be in management of any kind. Funny, today my boss and I had our monthly 1 on 1 meeting. He said he's noticed I'm taking on more of a leadership role. SCREW THAT! I gotta stop that being responsible crap. LOL

6. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

He's planting the seed to share his tasks with you, so he can 'work from home' more often :D

7. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

yeah

farming the homeplace , 22 years of construction , and 20 yrs of being barnacle bill . there's always something to do. all the best bill and darethea

8. Greysight

Greysight Well-Known Member

Some of the time I install flow meters in sewer systems and I do other various buried infrastructure field work. Other times I stare at spreadsheets until my eyes bleed. I attached a photo of me measuring a newly installed pipe that wasn't as round as it should have been.

Attached Files:

9. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Industrial maint. tech. Mechanical/electrical troubleshooting, a little PLC programming, etc. 25 years or so of it, now. Run my little ass off most of the time.
    I learned a long time ago that if you put me in an office, I instantly develop a sort of "Low grade narcolepsy". Gotta leep moving !
    Cheers, Lee S.

10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

unfortunately, pay and how hard you work are usually inversely related to the amount of fun you have at work/amount you enjoy your job

bust your ass and have fun doing it = shit pay

whatever the opposite of that is = good pay

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  11. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Labor jobs all my short life , torpedoman in the navy (wrench on the launchers and such), auto mechanic , equipment operator for environmental dirt work, various parts dept. @ bike shops, and now a firefighter/engineer (I get to drive the piss out of the engine), and business owner of motorcycle shop and GMD of Jax. So no manicures here, I can grip a tackle box!!! Ha

12. cleanEG

cleanEG Well-Known Member

Hahahahahah there is some truth to this....I've seen comic hero belt buckles!

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I wrench on the food wrapping machines, but i also run the dept, so i'd go from covered in chicken guts and grease to conference calls and meetings with the customers. Its kinda cool when everyone looks at you and you give them a go-no go answer on something they've been brainstorming for days or weeks.

"no, that wont work...next time come talk to me first before wasting your time...."

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do that and I get told I'm ruining racing.... :crackup:

15. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Yep. I wear a uniform with my name above the chest pocket. :up:

16. Almostryan3

Almostryan3 Well-Known Member

Got a question for you blue collared guys. I did construction for a few years a while back and just got another construction job but heavier duty and I need to pick me up a new set of work boots. For you guys with years and years out there what are some comfortable work boots? Not looking to break the bank just want something comfortable and will hold up for a year or so.

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Redwings. You can resole them for about $60. The pair I have on now are about 8 years old and have a new sole on them. Also have another pair that are about 12 years old with a new sole. Both feel better than when they were new. Spend the coin!

18. Almostryan3

Almostryan3 Well-Known Member

There is a store not too far from me that has those. How is the break in period?

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Not too long from what I remember. Buy a jar of boot oil and oil them first thing to help.

20. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

I was a welder/fabricator and then got into 'white collar' project management over 10 years ago. Still regard myself as 'blue-collar' though. What's up with that?

Personally I've always hated these labels - why does a particular profession have to pigeon-hole me into someones little category. Who came up with this shit anyway. Am I less of a person because I sling trash for a living? Who would I rather sit down and have a beer with.... some white collar geek or one of my welders on the shop floor? Hmmm...

My fondest working memories were that of a 'blue collar' worker rather than now. Good times.