1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Ipad 1 still worth getting?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Oct 10, 2012.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Me and the wife have been playing tug of war with or laptop and she threw out the idea of getting an ipad. All we do is surf the net and the kid plays games here and there just app games nothing like call of duty.lol. I have been searching for used ones and was looking for a Ipad2 but seen a couple of good deals on the first gens. I know the first gen cant be updated no more but wonderd if it is worth even giving it a thought? So what does the beeb say?

If anybody is selling an Ipad let me know?
    Thanks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I would say buy a 1st gen if they're cheap enough and see how much you like it. I love mine but use it mainly for books/movies/tunes along with some surfing - mainly weather and maps on the road. Much easier to grab and fire up than the whole laptop and easier to read than the phone. But as I've said before, mine is purely a toy, I still use my phone and laptop more - although the longer I have an iPad the more I find myself using it.

3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I have a wifi 64GB with a ZaggMate Bluetooth keyboard I'd be willing to sell... I'll shoot you a PM in a few minutes.

4. assjuice cyrus

Yea this would be basiclly a toy also. I just hate to get a gen 1 to find out it wont do something I need it to or something dumb. We do use face time alittle on are phone and I know the first gen wont do that right?

5. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Def worth it for the right price. I freaking love my iPad, but hate my iPhone. I know they are almost the same, but application is way different.

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Mine is fine and I use it everyday. If you just running aps or surfing the web you wont see a difference. Actually I have the 1st and 2nd gen and they are the same to me other than the forward facing camera.

7. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Apple isn't providing the iPad 1 with their new operating system (iOS 6)...planned obsolescence. There will be apps that require iOS 6+, so the iPad 1 won't be able to run them. If you're happy with the current state of the iPad 1 and the apps currently available, it will be fine. Otherwise, go for a a 2 or 3.

8. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I went with a Sony Tablet S instead. It was $250 with a Best Buy credit card application. The tablet has software that controls the TV, satellite and surround sound (like a universal remote). Great screen and stereo speakers. No issues with Flash.The price includes a cradle. I keep it on the nightstand with a desk clock setting. CNET gives it an excellent review.

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I also have the Toshiba Thrive and love it.

10. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

The iPad 1 will not run iOS 6 which won't make much difference for what you are looking to do. As someone who repairs iPad's I will say the design of them (Thicker) with support all around the screen makes them hold up better to drops than the newer ones, and we see a lot less cracked screens on them. I would still recommend a strong case such as the Otter Box Defender on it.

11. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Yep worth it for the right price

::Posted from my iPad 1::

12. assjuice cyrus

What would you guys say a good price would be for a 1 and a 2?