Anyone have Brembo monoblocks?

Discussion in 'General' started by gpstar748, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Lux

Lux Member

I am fortunate enough to have a really good brake system, I can tell you that the feedback and feel is significantly improved and does actually improve stopping distance. Brake feel is so critical. Equipment aside, some riders just have more than others. It’s why one rider can consistently out brake another with the exact same equipment.

Perhaps more importantly, it allows you to do it consistently. It may not be by yards but it does decrease the distance and it allows you to do it through the whole race distance. Just about any brake system has enough power to lock up the tires, that’s not hard. It’s providing the feel and response to necessary to brake late and hard, lap after lap without loss of power and feel. Same reason quality aftermarket pads have much better stopping power and feel, lap after lap over stock.

Tires only have so much braking, cornering and accelerating potential, yet good suspension will get more out of them than stock suspension. Good brakes are like this….

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

so which is it? :confused:

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Engineers lack real world experience at those levels.
    And, pretty much, I call bullshit on your posts.

I've locked the front hammering the front brake, weight transferred, wheel unlocked, I continued with the same braking pressure and without having released it when it locked. This was in a panic situation but I prevailed. I understand what happened. I'm sure an engineer familiar with bike dynamics would understand it and be able to explain it in fiddy cent words. No way I would attempt replicating it.

One of my set-ups is using a M/C designed for six-piston calipers on four-piston calipers. I challenge you to explain the difference in feel, power, etc. using an inappropriate M/C for the calipers.

Tires? You saying there's no difference or that slicks will, without a doubt, throw you over the bars?

How about technique in application? That whole "feel" thing might come highly in to play there, don't you think?

One other thing, and prolly the most important, consistency. You don't get that from a system made of recycled beer cans.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um... slicks alone will give you a huge traction advantage. Couple that with a full race brake system... youre probably trimming 20-40' of brake distance.

5. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

It's really pretty simple. The better feel you have, the better you'll be able to use the brakes to their full effectiveness. Isn't the idea to slow the bike as quickly and as late as possible, reliably, lap after lap?

Isn't the quickest way to slow down to apply the brakes as hard and as quickly as possible without overloading the front tire (sliding it), or lifting the rear so much that it becomes uncontrollable?

Don't you think it's easier to do that with better feel, from calipers that don't waste energy by flexing or allow the fluid dynamics to change by transferring heat to the fluid, lines, and master cylinder?

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Slicks don't give you a huge traction advantage anymore.

7. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Wow guys. Ok I guess I overestimated the level of intelligence on this board completely. Pretend what I said never existed. Mono blocks and slicks make you stop super fast! Yay! I guess motorcycle racing doesn't exactly attract the most brilliant of minds. I concede, yes feel and repeatability are important, just not as much as stopping distance... which will be totally unaffected by upgraded brakes or tires.

8. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

Nope... just your own. :Poke:

9. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I am not an engineer, did not stay at a Holiday Inn and you probably wouldn't over estimate my intelligence (assuming for a moment you are qualified to estimate even your own).

"Stopping distance" has nothing to do with motorcycle racing. It is a test conducted by DOT types, factories, and others to establish some sort of base line number for stopping. Stopping, arriving at a complete stand still. Does not happen in racing till the end or some catastrophic incident interrupts your forward motion.

Now, IMO, and only my opinion, I see the issue as slowing down, setting corner speed, where feel, feedback, and other qualitative factors are in play along with quantitative factors relating to traction, pad to rotor forces, caliper flex, and other engineering stuff I won't pretend to understand.

At the Macau GP stopping, in and of itself, is not the point. Neither are stopping distances. Applying the brakes and hard braking in that scenario have nothing to do with stopping distances per se.

10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I know the answer based your previous posts, but how much experience do you have road racing motorcycles?

11. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I concede, yes feel and repeatability are important, just not as much as stopping distance... which will be totally unaffected by upgraded brakes or tires.[/QUOTE]. ?? Huh?
    Oem brakes: undersized master does not deliver adequate power and fades quickly, oem lines expand, pads are for everyday use, piston seals have give, poor material in caliper flexes, pistons overheat.
    Stopping distance can be greatly reduced depending what the leverage ratio of the master is, while at the same time matching a riders style. One type of rider can hamfist slam the brakes on and a properly set system with less/more leverage can increase or decrease the braking distance just by where the pivot point of the lever is located. Suspension setup comes into play if the chassis is unsettled. A million other variables also have an effect on brake force and application. As an example: when a new rider is on one of my bikes I ask in advance what type of braking feel he likes. This enables me to build a custom system to suit that rider's style. Not every system is the same but can net similar results if built to each rider's liking. An oem system will underperform in comparison.

12. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I used "stopping" because he did (I even cringed as I typed it)

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That one caught me off guard.:crackup:

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yet they arent allowed in SS classes because of that marginal difference...huh?:Poke:

slicks vs stock R6 tires give a HUGE bump in traction so lets not detract from the point being conveyed.

15. RacerB36

RacerB36 Well-Known Member

If he does not get it no use trying to explain it to him.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You just figured this out? Lol

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Funny thing. Slicks are allowed in all wera classes except CSS and that wasn't because of the performance difference. Even funnier my two local clubs have rules proposed to follow suit for the same reason.

18. Dude. Just stop. Seriously.

19. Riddle me this...

Which rider will stop (or in the case of our sport, slow down) quicker?...

Rider A who goes to the brakes fast and hard and "hammers" on them as you say?

or

Rider B who goes to the brakes fast, but is more deliberate in the application?

...and why?

or

Neither...because stopping/slowing distance isn't dictated by the speed at which the brakes are applied, but is instead dictated by the force with which they can be applied (or lack thereof) due to the rear wheel lifting?

20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

It's all about maintaining feel at higher braking force. The billet MC and calipers flex less than their cast counterparts which flex less than two piece. Any small amount of deflection means big loss of feel. Ideally, you could place your fingers right on the rotors. Billet errrythang is how you get closer.

And if you don't think stock brakes and pads lose too much power and impact braking distance as they heat up then you are just slow... I mean as a rider.