Trackday/race tires for SV650

Discussion in 'General' started by oconnor, Sep 24, 2012.

1. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

Must handle a few trackdays and one race weekend at RA.
    Must be legal for BoTT SS on an SV650.
    I see a ton of conflicting info for the following:
    B-stone S-20
    B-stone BT003RS
    Dunlop Q2
    and maybe Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa which are probably the best of the lot.
    I know tires are like oil, just wanted to know if any or all would work on raceday for a novice.

2. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

Q2's have worked great for me on my sv. All trackdays. That being said, dunlop did release a 160 d211 rear in 160/60-17 :bow:

i use the 211 front now and i love it

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Out of those...I'd run the BT003RS's. Lots of guys race them and they wear really well at track days etc.

4. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

The 003rs works very well and for my level of slowness lasted longer than I expected. Once I get done burning up old spares I plan on mounting a set of the 003s for trackday action.

5. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

i'll make you a smokin' deal on a bridgestone supermoto slick take-off. size 165 (will fit sv) and really soft. one race weekend on it. pm if interested.

- jim

6. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

As mentioned, Dunlop has updated the Q2 to a 160 D211 GP-A. I have been running them since May 2012 at the Miller WERA National. I along with Russell Masecar have done very well on them at a variety of tracks....Miller, Summit, VIR, Road Atlanta. They seem to work the best and last longer if you use a tire warmer. I also give them a lap before I hammer on them. We usually run them 22-24 hot of the warmers. And you cannot beat the price.

Brian Kcraget

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

BT003RS

8. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

The 003RS is lookin good. Probably no reason to jump on a set with Iowa winter coming though...

9. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

IMO, the 003's are a very good and durable tire for track day use. They do have their limits tho from my unfortunate experience. I won't race on them anymore. I'll race stone slicks on my sv but not the 160 003 rear. I like the Pirelli dots much much better for racing purposes.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I like the BS slicks (165 rear) on the SV, but the OP stated he intended to run a few TD's and a race weekend on a set...hence the longer lasting BT003RS's. They def. have limitations, the biggest that I've found be being poor grip in cool to cold temps.

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Does anyone have a link to the recommended tire pressures for dunlops? Looking for both hot and cold pressures.

I'm also on an SV, and like the Q2, but recently changed to the newer SV tires.

Thanks.
    Jed

12. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

http://www.dunlopracing.com/Pressures.pdf

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Thank you.

14. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

For those running the Dunlop D211 GP-A, what compound are you using on the front for an SV?

15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

You want to get 3 track days and a race weekend out of one set of tires?

16. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Any preference between the 211GP and the 211 GP-A on the front for an SV? Compounds? Help I'm completely clueless :eek:

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I used to run half a season on mine:wow:

18. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

You run Q2s on the race bikes?! With the times you guys run that's just not right

19. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

I have been running the D211 GPA front and Rear and like them.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I beat you once when I was running Q2's.

...I mean, you crashed out coming down the hill in turn 7, but that's just a technicality :)