Little things that hurt waaaaaaaaay to much..

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

At 19 years of age, working in a John Deere shop that was at about 40 degrees one morning. I was installing the cylinder head back onto an engine and it required starting the head on the studs, then driving it into place with a brass drift punch and a three pound hammer. I missed and flattened my little finger. I slowly walked to the wall and passed out while sliding down the wall into a sitting position. I was still there when another mechanic saw me and woke me up by gently slapping my face.

That was the most intense pain that I've ever had. Just thinking about it causes me to hurt. :eek:

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Last time I had to do that I ended up taking a flat file and using the edge to file through the nail till it released the pressure. It worked well and I didn't have to worry about drilling through my thumb.:D

3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Drill blood under nail with a tiny drill bit spun by HAND. I hope nobody truly uses a press :crackup:. It goes through damn easy spun by hand. Only concern then is the layer of skin it grabs under neath that hurts like a sombitch... but the relief is so worth it :crackup:

4. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I was demoing an archway in a driveway with my 32 oz framing hammer, missed hitting one of the cripple studs and tagged my middle finger, split the nail and blood started shooting out about 3'...the owner of the house nearly fainted. Reached into my bags, got a paper towel, and some electrical tape, taped it up and went back to work...all the while I wanted to SCREAM!...lol

5. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

You mean like this? I started falling down the stairs and caught myself, more or less into a slide. The tip of that finger caught the edge of a step. When I got up, I felt the bottom of that finger against the top of the ring finger and thought, "this won't be good", then I looked down. The wait in the ER and subsequent reducing of the finger hurt way more than the actual dislocation.

About three days later, with a splint on my finger, I was repairing the wiring on an asphalt roller for some driveway guys, when the wire I was stripping gave way and I smacked it against the side of the cast body of the roller. HOLY SH**! I thought the driveway crew was going to cry with me, I screamed so loud.

Attached Files:

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ouch!!!!

7. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

When I actually worked for a living as a boilermaker, my boss hit me in the knee with an 18 pound sledge while we were knocking out plugs from the mud drum of a 1200 pound boiler. I was holding the punch (3" of solid steel that weighed 15 or 20 pounds) and my boss was swinging the sledge. He missed and hit me square on the knee cap. I thought about passing out for a brief second but just curled up in the fetal position cussing him out :). Surprisingly it wasn't broken so I just hobbled around the firebox for a little while and then went back to work.

That said the toughest person I know is my wife...pushed out 2 kids all natural!

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Maybe you should drive...

:stupid:

+1 on the ribs sneeze issue

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I had my right index finger crushed to jelly in an industrial accident. It took a 6 hour operation to put it back together. That stung a little.
    I still remember the guy sitting next to me in the ER waiting room. He had cut a piece of plywood with a circular saw while holding it against his upper leg. You can imagine the result. Quite an impressive gash, but clean and straight.

10. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Ok get this. Was loading a dirt bike onto a trailer with a friend on the other side of the bike. Had to pick the bike up ( no ramp ) I was on the sprocket side and apparently not paying attention. Lifted the rear onto trailer and he pushed it forward catching my thumb in between the chain and sprocket! :eek:
    Felt a lot of pressure and at least did not try to pull my thumb out. Asked him with great excitement to roll the bike back, he did and I lifted my thumb up and thought the top was off. It wasn't but with the nail being pulled all the way out like with a pair of channel locks and one tooth had completely punctured all the way through my thumb it look very weird, then it kind of exploded with blood.
    That hurt and all, but what really sucked!!! Was when we went to the ER they cleaned the top of my unnailed thumb with a tooth brush and iodine. That was the weirdest most unnerving feeling of pain I can remember. My then wife and my mother both decided to leave the room when they brought out the tooth brush! :(
    Went back and found the nail later, man those things are twice as long as what you can actually see.

11. In Your Corner

Oh yeah?
    Well, I backed a floor stacker holding 56 cases of 16 oz cans of beer onto my big toe.
    The floor stacker weighed about a ton by itself. Popped the toenail right off and flattened the toe. That toenail is still twice the thickness of the other one, and doesn't adhere to the skin as far up as it should. This happened over 35 years ago.
    Then there was the time I stepped on a nail on the riverbank at low tide. The nail went right through my foot and was sticking out the top of my sneaker. It was attached to a 12 foot 2x4, so I couldn't move and I couldn't pull it out and the tide was coming in. I had to stand there and yell for help until a woman and her son showed up and pulled me off the nail.
    I've got more. I've always kept emergency rooms in business. My family likes to tell stories about the ways I found to injure myself as a child. Like the time I threw a brick in the air and it cracked my head open (possibly baby's first stitches) and I came in the house spewing blood and told my mother "I threw the brick up and it came down boinkedy boink on my head". Shortly after, I tried riding our boxer on my grandparent's breezeway with a concrete floor. Split my chin open and went for more stitches. A couple weeks later I jumped off the roof of the doghouse (about 8 ft high) and smacked my chin on my knee, and it was back for more stitches. Then I tried slicing an orange in half with my fingers wrapped around it. More stitches. Later in life, I'd walk in the house dripping blood and my mother would just say "What did you do now?".
    These days, I'm into illness rather than injury, at least for the past 8 years or so.

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

It's from all those germs you picked up while slicing and dicing yourself.

13. watskooo

watskooo Well-Known Member

Catching your middle toenail under a piece of tile at the top of the stairs and ripping it completely out. At that point it didn't even matter I'd broken the toe at the same time.

14. In Your Corner

I just spent a week in the hospital in July for 4 pulmonary embolisms. It was closer than I like to think about. ER to ICU in 30 minutes. It sucked because i was fighting for air and that's an awful feeling. A little Atavan and morphine helped that out. Took away the panicky feeling and dulled the pain enough so I could draw in a decent breath.
    Injury or illness, I go big or stay home.

15. I ruined a guy's hand with a 20lb sledgehammer my first year offshore.

I was a roughneck at the time and we were assembling Kenner links (they are chain links for the anchor winches, but they are BIG. 1/2 of the link is about the size of a 5gal bucket.

It was pouring rain and kinda dark. He was leaning over and something fell out of his pocket and landed right where i was about to hit...and he decided to reach and grab it right as i was coming down with that 20lb hammer with a head of steam.

He flopped around on the deck like a fish and was like "my hand is broken!" I was like "that is why you have two of them, you have a fucking spare...stop being a little bitch and get back over here so we can get finished".

Gotta love working offshore :crackup:

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Nothing in this world can compare to the pain of debriding a second degree burn.... and that shit happens daily for 2-3 weeks.

I had deep 2nd degree burns over the top half of my back, my whole neck, and around to part of my upper chest. Thankfully it didn't go all the way to the nipple area. The cup of the collarbone was the worst spot.

Imagine the worst sunburn you ever had, times ten, then sit in a hot tub & let someone scrub the dead flesh & scabs out of it with a brillo pad, daily, til it heals. :down:

Kidney stones, broken bones, ingrown toenails, impacted teeth..... NOTHING comes close to burn debridement.

17. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

Was an anchor handler for 4 years, i've smashed plenty of fingers, been hit in the shins multiple times with a sledge, and had more than enough burrs in my hands from pulling tugger slack all day... one of those things you just got used too!

18. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Had pins in my right little finger from a low side. Turned it into scrambled egg as the Dr said. I had it wrapped up in so much brown tape it looked like I had my finger stuffed in a jalapeƱo popper.

Over night the bandage came off & I hadn't realized it. I was waking up and drug my hand on the sheet and the pin caught in the mattress and the pin jarred the inside of the bone. Went and threw up after that.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

How the hell do most of these count as "small things that hurt waaaaaaay too much"?

20. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

They don't. It's turning into a one upper. :D