1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitster MiniGP bike.

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by backcountryme, Aug 28, 2012.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

2. blackbird2xx

blackbird2xx Well-Known Member

should be decent in the superbike 50 class. Why don't you get it and let us know ;)

3. backcountryme

I currently have an xr100, 2 Yamaha YSR, and a pitbike. All with no garage. I need more bikes like I need a hole in my head.

4. blackbird2xx

blackbird2xx Well-Known Member

I know I'm just kidding. I would like to see someone get one, so we can get a good look at it.

5. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

I know someone that has one.. Said it isn't too bad, but a few things need changed. I believe he is helping develop the bike. He posted on PlanetMini's if u want to go there and read about it.

6. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The forks look like some of the lower end chinese stuff, suspect they'll be a weak point.

8. backcountryme

The spec page says it uses Marzocchi. I wouldn't say that they are junk.

9. backcountryme

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Where does it say that? The pics show fork lowers that are clearly not Shivers. The only place I can find Marzocchi on Pitster's site is in the parts section for those looking to hop up a machine.

11. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

A lot of the Chinese bikes use suspension components from a company that goes by Fast Ace. While not Marzocchi or Ohlins they are nice components. Excellent copies of earlier stuff from the big names.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Fast Ace and DNM make ok gear, the metalurgy on the internals is usually poor and the valving out of the crate is typically miles off. Some of their kit is scary, like some of the Fast Ace Air based setups.

The pics on Pitster's site don't look like Fastace or DNM forks to me, for some reason I'm seeing more resemblance to these scary units: http://www.ebay.com/itm/INVERTED-FO...es&hash=item3cca30d6bb&vxp=mtr#ht_4843wt_1156

They are a conventional damping rod setup with crazy stiction issues, especially if you actually tighten the clamps so they'll hold the forks in place.

Otherwise, if the specs are accurate, it's pig heavy (185lbs vs 135lbs) with a shorter wheelbase (42in vs 45in) than my CRF70 build so it should go well on tight kart tracks once you massage the motor to wake it up. Sustained serious road racing will result in the flywheel side crank arm eventually parting ways with the rest of the crank. It's the high revs approaching valve float and hard downshifts that do the crank in. I'm on my 5th or 6th crank now, changing the game plan to run slingless on the clutch side, IRK on the flywheel side and we'll see how long it holds up. Unfortunately going to this setup has killed the low end torque these long stroke midblocks are known for so I've lost some speed as a result, but if it means the engine lasts I guess it's a viable trade off. I haven't had a Honda 70 crank let go like this yet, but my ye olde 72cc screamer isn't competitive in the circles I'm trying to play in any more either.

13. backcountryme

Good points