1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Um, didya try the...

Discussion in 'General' started by SupermotoFan, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Anyone ever think of neutral???

3. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

She didnt even put the thing in park after she pulled over!

I dont get the whole "it stuck". So say your traveling 70mph and your throttle sticks, wouldnt you think it would stick near 70mph, not accelerate to 120mph? BTW- you can over power the engine with the brakes, even though the power assist is usually vacuum assisted.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Turn the key to off, don't you lose the power steering and power brakes?

Neutral and then the brakes.

7. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

I think you forgot the first step for her: 1. Engage brain.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I think a more challenging driver exam is in order...

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Power steering, sure, but what kind of assist do you need going 100mph in a straight line?

Brakes- you should have some assist in braking as the booster retains some vacuum and there is a check valve at the booster as well. You have a few pumps before thats depleted, so no you'd have assisted brakes in an emergency, but you still have brake no matter what.

The ONLY issue with turning a key off is a locking column. If you were to turn the key off and turn the wheel too far (which is quite a ways on some cars) you column can lock and you'll have no steering control. Simple as turning the key OFF to the accesory positon.

People been drivin' a car for 50 years and cant figure this shit out really makes me wonder.

Also what does this part of the news column mean:

"Ulvestad suffered no major injuries in the crash and the maker of her car, the Irvine, Calif.,-based Kia Motors America Inc., said it is working with her on a solution."

What crash?

10. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

i had a floor mat hold down the accelerator in an old 87 chev blazer. that thing was in neutral and the key was off so fast that i accidentally locked the steering. it was in town and there were no cars on comming, but i was only 17.

FYI for anyone who has an older ford escape. there is an issue with the cruise control cable. it will not release and your stuck with the neutral, key off pull over on the side of the highway then disconnect the cable. i traded mine in after that happened.

11. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

There was a guy here that had that happen in his Lexus a couple years ago. He never thought to do any of these things, yet called 911 on his cell phone to report the problem, and apparently nobody said anything like "Put the vehicle in neutral."

He drove the car like this, on the phone for something like 13 minutes, until he lost control, crashed, and wound up killing himself, his wife, and 2 kids who were riding with him.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If you look at any new car now they all have those floor mat retainers for just those reasons. I work on cars for a living and you wouldnt believe how careless people are. They get in and put their right foot in first and they dont sit into the seat, they have to push against the mat and slide thier fat asses into the seat. They dont know it or just dont care but they shove the mat up under the pedals creating these dumb issues.

Ive pulled mats out folded and half, crumpled up looking like it was there for 6 months. You take it out and lay it flat on the floor and it springs back up into the crumpled shape it was in the car.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So evolution really does work...

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Know what would have solved the entire issue instantly?

A clutch pedal.

15. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

been saying that for decades , it's more important that we can park the car than drive it , gotta know how many points ya get for a dui and what the bac limit is but god forbid emergency driving skills be a concern

i also like the fact that some 16yr old knucklehead that can't even ride a bicycle can go buy a 200+hp motorcycle , the magazine said it was the shiznit soooo.....

dumbass 'murcuns , darwinism at it's finest and 99% of us are too effin stupid to see it

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

With the keyless start that the newer cars have, it's not obvious how to turn the engine off while moving, especially in a panic situation. Most of them will NOT shut down while moving if you push the button.

And as for locking the steering by turning the key off, all of the vehicles I've driven wouldn't lock the steering unless the transmission was in Park (automatics, obviously) or after pressing a small lever before turning the key to the lock position.

17. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I do find it amazing that someone can multitask well enough to drive over 100 mph, darting through traffic off and on the road, talking on the cell phone, but can't figure out how to stop the car. :rolleyes:

Someone on the phone has to tell her how to lift the accelerator with one foot and apply the brakes with the other.

18. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

Obviously stupid people will do stupid things.....

With that said, I think that cars are way to "automated" these days....

I noticed this riding in my cousins car the other day....Some kind of Ford thing...

Anyway, keyless entry, push button start, huge touch screen in the center console......What really made me think was this.....there are no knobs or sliders anymore....everything is controlled via touch....the climate, the radio, the cd player, of course the bluetooth, navigation, etc...so by the vehicles very design, you HAVE to look at the console to see what you are doing, i.e. taking your eyes off the road. In my 2003 Durango, the temp is controlled with sliders, the knobs control the fan speed, the radio has actual buttons to press....I can do all of these controls by feel, I don't need to look to use them.

My cousins car also has a backup camera, lights and beeps that come on when someone is beside the vehicle.....in my opinion, you are training people to rely on the technology instead of actually using their own driving abilities to pilot their vehicles....I get especially agitated at cars that supposedly park themselves....really? You can't park your own damn car? Then you don't deserve to drive.

It's no wonder these idiots get into emergency situations and have no clue what to do....

19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Right on, brother. Right on. :crackup:

20. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I am still pissed they took my headlight dimmer switch off of the floor, and dont get me started or window louvers.