Sunter Honda

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by freedomgli, Jul 27, 2012.

1. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

It's time for a show and tell! My bespoke racing parts made for the Honda CB350K in the UK by Jon Sunter have arrived!

www.sunterhonda30.co.uk

Months of research, one e-mail inquiry and a prompt reply, followed by an international wire transfer, 15 nail biting weeks later and I am rewarded with some very trick bits! And I must say, it was well worth the wait!

I am duly impressed. The apparent build quality of these parts is outstanding. I'm a handy guy in the workshop but I could not have built anything that looks so nice. It's almost a shame the parts are going on a lowly Honda CB350 instead of something a bit more exotic and worthy!

Jon Sunter is a true gentleman for putting up with all my e-mail messages and the inherent hassle of dealing with international customers. I feel really fortunate that craftsmen such as him exist to supply this niche market and I would not hesitate to recommend his business to others.

[​IMG]
    Front Fairing Probe - Stage 4

Front fairing probe for mounting fiberglass bodywork to Honda CB350 race bike. Includes lugs for mounting rev counter bracket, fork lock stops with nylon ends, front aluminum extension with upper fairing mounting frame, front locking washer, safety pin and aluminum rev counter bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rear Top Fairing Mount

Fits standard Honda CB350K frame. Made of 6082 aluminum alloy. Includes cross bar, frame mounting tabs, 2 x tapered outside washers and countersunk bolts that are screwed into short extensions that stay attached to fairing, 2 x R-clips for quick release. Fully adjustable to suit most any fairing.

[​IMG]
    Rear Top Fairing Mount Detail

[​IMG]
    Fairing Belly Pan Mount

Fits standard Honda CB350K frame. Rigidly fixes the rear belly pan in position.

[​IMG]
    Fairing Belly Pan Mount

[​IMG]
    Front Mudguard

Very lightweight fiberglass construction. White gelcoat ready for sanding, primer and paint. Requires only minimal preparation for finish. No pin holes.

[​IMG]
    Clutch Pushrod Seal Retainer

High crankcase pressure can cause the clutch pushrod seal located behind the countershaft sprocket cover to become dislodged and cause a major oil leak. This aluminum keeper device prevents that from happening. No one besides me will ever see this part but it sure is pretty, though! Combined with a vented oil filler cap I should have no worries.

2. freedomgli

[​IMG]
    Swingarm Bushings

Replacement swing arm steel bushes for standard swing arm. Made from EN36, hardened and ground to size. These are aftermarket replacements for Honda part numbers 52141-268-000 and 52141-286-000, which are no longer available new anywhere as far as I am aware. Mine were all corroded and pitted so I'm very thankful I found these new replacements to take the last bit of compliance out of the swingarm pivot!

3. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

thanks for the pics- very nice looking stuff. I am still saving my pennies for one of his crank shafts with arrow rods.....

4. joec

joec brace yourself

ok...when are you going to be at summit.....now i HAVE to see this rig!

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The guy certianly does some beautiful work ! Very nice !

6. Norton#357

Norton#357 Well-Known Member

Free....you can't call it a 'lowly CB 350' with parts like that on it.

I don't plan to run a fairing but would love to have one of those brackets to hang over the workbench for inspiration.

Does this mean you are close to done with it? Tally maybe?

7. freedomgli

Unfortunately I won't be there in September. I'm getting married October 7 so my energy is devoted to that right now. Realistically I plan to be at the first rider school next spring (April?) at Summit. By then the bike will be fully assembled and dyno tuned and I will have my trailer and new daily driver / tow rig.

Well, a CB350 is still just a CB350 even if you bolt some cool parts on it :D I think it stops being a lowly CB350 when you're running a fully-built CB350 motor inside a purpose built racing frame (Framecrafters, Davies Motorsport, etc.)

The fairing bracket is really trick. I might have done some things a little different had I designed it myself (perhaps camlocs to attach the fairing to the bracket, as opposed to the 2-piece fixed bracket and R-clip arrangement) but I really have no complaints. This piece of kit will really make mounting the bodywork that much easier. All I need to do is weld some tabs to the frame so the fairing probe has something to attach to.

I decided to run a fairing because I really like the way it looks. I don't care if I'm a V1 bike getting passed by 350GP riders. I'm a rookie racer and all the CB350s are on the track at the same time so hopefully I'll find someone to keep pace with and have fun.

See my reply to joec above. I'm still mocking things up. Once I'm done with that then I will paint the frame and perform final assembly.

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Thats some nice looking stuff free.....

Are you not running a stock frame?

A fairing wont put you in V1....but a disk brake will.

Glad to see you are back at it man!:up:

9. freedomgli

I would need to rebuild my stock CV carbs to be 350GP eligible as I've got Mikunis now.

10. CharlieY

If you've got no major motor work....fix those CV's and run GP.

The Mikunis alone will put you in V1, and wont be much help....go ahead, ask how I know!:D :crackup:

11. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

back in the old days when there was no GP class for the cb350, those of us who had a stock motor with mikunis ran in V1 and became quicker because of it. Enter v1 and V2 and learn the limits of your bike and get comfortable on track chasing faster machines and Upgrade the engine after you are feeling at home on the stocker.

12. CharlieY

Yeah.....thats how I know.:beer:

As long as you are having fun, thats what counts.

13. 71Norton

71Norton Well-Known Member

That is some very nice hardware. But the 350GP class tends to use mud buckets for fairings isn't that over do for a mud bucket!

14. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

............and he means that in the nicest kinda way....:p

15. freedomgli

monkey Matt Tanner was kind enough to shape a lightweight mud bucket out of fiberglass for me that does a mighty fine job resembling a CR750 :D

16. CharlieY

Paint buckets and Pilates mat's....first class baby!:beer:

17. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

one day, I swear by all that is holy, I'm gonna make the baddest assed full fairing anyone's ever seen, complete with seat pan, out of nothing but a sh@t load of the FedEX mailer boxes we use here at work and several rolls of some of that new crazy colored duct tape.

aesthetics be damned, it's time we let potential new racers know you don't have to spend more than $150 on a 40yr. old salvage yard bike and a roll of safety wire to have a good time racing.

<insert sarcasm wherever necessary>

18. freedomgli

This is true. It's just so hard to stop myself from doing more than the bare minimum for no other reason than I think it's cool. But I agree it's way cooler to have a basic bike that runs and is safe than to have a pretty bike that just sits in the garage.

19. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

don't forget the beer....................:beer:

20. CharlieY

Hey free.....Take Walker with a grain of salt...he has recently totalled his racebike, Hurt the motor in his fresh street/cafe bike, and helped me destroy an ex500....he's kinda like.....pffffttttt!, :D ...but I think what he meant was:

"It is refreshing to see someone put some thought, and money, into a fresh CB350 build."

I look forward to seeing it on track.:up: