1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Geico/AMA a good thing?

Discussion in 'General' started by 2OLD2SLOW, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 2OLD2SLOW

2OLD2SLOW Well-Known Member

:clap::clap:Yup, more is way better than less!!!

2. 2OLD2SLOW

2OLD2SLOW Well-Known Member

Sweet!

3. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I think you're trying to ruin roadracing along with Mongo

shame on you

stay out of our threads of reason with your babble

;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

But our day jobs suck (but the pay is good) and we'd rather talk about something more related to something more interesting. :)

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Series sponsors are supposed to benefit the series. Of course AMA/DMG will get the sponsorship money. No they don't need to put it into purse money. They need to be able to spend the money promoting the series as a whole. If you are depending on purse money you don't need to be going pro racing.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not allow it? That would be absolutely moronic of them.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but bullshit - the riders/teams need to support themselves. If you can't get enough sponsorship to pay the bills then you need to be club racing. If you're promising your sponsors a top 5 result when you have bottom 15 skills and machinery then that is YOUR problem and YOU need to take care of the sponsors, not expect the series to do it. Those grid filling riders will never ever disappear, there is a perception of it somehow being cool to go fill the grid at a Pro race for riders who can't win local Expert races, that has always been the case and I can't see it changing.

Paying purse money will do nothing to help the grid fillers. Using sponsorship money to build and sustain the series will help all the riders.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Well you do get to get onto TV. Also there are more people there to watch you get lapped than at a club race.

:beer:

9. gpstar748

I'm a grid filler at the TT but I don't do it because I think it's cool....

10. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

What other reason is there to do it??

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

L-O-N-G after my use-by date I kept at it because it is the most fun I've had outside of two of my wedding nights!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The TT is a wee bit different than a short track you can race at on other weekends :D

13. gpstar748

meaning I don't do it so I can say "everyone look at me I'm racing at the TT" which is what I think Mongo was getting at with his comment about people that go AMA racing here in the USA

the TT is about challenging yourself rather than your fellow competitors. if you're going there to just say you did it then you're going there for the wrong reason

14. tittys04

two of your wedding nights.... out of how many :Poke:

:D

15. tittys04

Oh, I gotcha. I didn't catch the difference between cool and "cool." You go because it's a challenge, and because you think it's cool/fun to do. Not because it makes you "cool." :up:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is essentially my point about a lot of the backmarkers at pro events, not all for sure but most. They can go challenge themselves on those same track at other events if they're looking for a challenge. The TT is a totally different animal.

17. gpstar748

I know, in general I agree with you

there is a reason I have never done an AMA event

18. gpstar748

Another point to make that you will agree with...

I don't just go race one AMA event to say I did it, the only AMA event I would even consider doing that at would be the Daytona 200

racers that do that don't help sustain the long term vision of AMA Pro Racing or any pro racing event/series IMHO

the TT looks for riders who want to do it and keep coming back, not a rider who just wants to tick off their bucket list because riders who continue coming back help ensure the long term success of the event'

the AMA should look for the same thing. BSB does, why not the AMA?

sure there are a few exceptions or those that fully intend to do more but then the support fades away

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

20. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

If that's the case, what would be a good reason for a sponsor to financially support a rider that comes in 20th out of 50 riders at any given weekend? What about the racer in 45th or 11th? The value in sponsorship comes from the perceived return on their investment via advertising. When those riders (finishing in 11th, 20th, 45th, etc) receive no camera time except a fly by during the sighting lap and a mention when the announcer runs through the grid positions, where's their value?

I'm not just saying this as a reaction for my riding or my team. We've managed to make it work and in my opinion have had a very successful season as a rookie team on a penny budget. I go to great lengths to find ways to make this work but I also see a lot of racers who pick up a chunk of cash by passing on the illusion that their sponsor is going to be "on the TV", etc. I hate seeing that happen because when the rider doesn't get on TV, the sponsor starts to doubt sponsorship in general and may not return to the sport.

The racers/teams are offering advertising/marketing but there is little room for a return on investment unless you're on the box every weekend. Even then additional off-track promotions should be necessary to fulfill the sponsor's ROI. The series on the other hand is selling entertainment. Their market is spectators on site and viewers on TV and via the internet.

Being a series, sustainability and longevity should be key components to the success of their entertainment offering. Draining sponsors dry and having new racers not able to run a full season isn't going to cut it.

I agree with JU that it's a good thing more money and corporate sponsorship is coming to pro motorcycle racing in the US. Hopefully it gets noticed and others follow. Just mentioning my opinion on the matter of how a national pro series could attain long-term success.