1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should pro racing be affordable? (as in AMA Pro)

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Jul 24, 2012.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I'm talking about tv, not in person. I stopped trying to make people appreciate it because it's impossible if you don't ride a sportbike or race yourself. Everyone seems interested for a minute or two and then it's just bikes going in circles. The exception has been the Isle of Man which is crazy enough to entertain anyone.

I'm just saying that if it were entertaining people would have caught on, but it isn't to outsiders so it never will. Comparing it to sports that everyone pays attention to is crazy because that will never happen with roadracing.

2. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Most people just can't relate to it! Everyone gets in their damn car and all the sudden thinks they're connected to NASCAR! Most everyone whomever picked up some type of ball for sport, can now somehow envision themselves playing a professional sport for a living instead of the miserable job they're going to. I used to try and fight this fight a long time ago, now not so much. If someone shows a little interest in it I'll jump through hoops to try and encourage them getting involved somehow. Hell, it's rare anymore I find anyone excited about road racing and wanting to learn more. And the other big killer, no time anymore. :( I know I can't even seem to find the time. Kinda sucks, big time :mad:

3. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

I was thinking "All the Right Moves"
    :D

4. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

One comment was the purse structure. It was mentioned that it should be similar to that of say, dirt track car racing. Everyone gets 'appearance' money, then if you qualify you get some money and then there's you place/purse money.

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

It's all glorified club racing outside of SBK. Like Dwyer said, virtually no one is making money at it. Even if you "make it" by running up front, you don't really make it. Yes the AMA grids are full and the racing is great, but aside from saying you're going "Pro" racing, there's no reward in it for the overwhelming majority of riders - regardless of where you finish. Don't get me wrong, the AMA is doing it right with a very good show, in a niche sport with a spotty economy.

I miss the days that the WERA National Series meant something. Every club racer now wants to be a "pro" and make the show, so you have a lot of guys out there that really aren't ready - they're not qualifying, crashing every event and/or spending a bunch of money in the process for something that's not paying return.

Several years ago I was hugely envious of the super fast guys that were younger than me and had a chance to "make it". I wanted to quit my day job and go chase a dream. Many of those guys put all their eggs in that "making it" basket and with the economy and how things went, most-all of them didn't make it. If you've got good sponsor money, or a lot of your own money to throw at it, sure go ahead and do it. I see guys in the Supersport class racing for 2-3 years and barely cracking the top 10. How long do you keep throwing money away before you realize you're chasing something that doesn't exist? Maybe it's just a heck of a lotta fun and the money tree is always full. If that's the case, I'm jealous. Ultimately this is a hobby for 95% of U.S. riders -whether they care to admit it or not. If you lose sight of that in today's age, I think that's where you get into trouble.

Last year at Mid-O, we were pitted next to Meen Motorsports. They were running a privateer effort similar to we were, albeit doing more rounds and more committed to the series. Seeing them run with Fong this year and doing so well is great to see. I hope they're a team that can get some solid backing and "make it" with Bobby, as they're a good story this year.

Anyway, amidst my rambling and back to the original post - grid sizes are great right? And the XR class has this nice payout system in place which is great too right? I don't know how you make it much more "affordable" than it is now in the majority of the classes (excluding SBK). Pro racing isn't cheap. Club racing isn't cheap. Trackdays aren't even cheap. Maybe we can get more trackday riders to start racing. Oh wait, we've talked about that too before haven't we. :)

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

A friend of mine (who used to do motorcycle trackdays coincidentally) races dirt track. Aside from the money he spends on the car itself, he usually comes home with more money than he went to the track with. What a concept!

7. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

:stupid:

Also to be a "pro" money is a lot more important than talent.

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

he is at home enjoying a life living off all the money he made when he was racing.

know what he's not doing? blowing his money to go racing and getting nothing out of it but an empty bank account....

9. gpstar748

pro racing is not and never will be "cheap"

everyone and their brother, mother, or sister should not be able to participate. you need to work for it and earn it IMHO. if you really want it then you can make it to the show at least once in your life no matter what your background is. I did anything and everything it took to make it to the TT, it didn't just fall into my lap.

I do think cost cutting to make it more "affordable for teams to stay in the series makes sense. Having 2 or 3 teams in the paddock spending 10x what other teams spend is a bit ridiculous to me.

That is why I like the TT. An underdog can still do well and attract good sponsorship.

10. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

This.....

Well that and what has been said before. The other Extreme sports (XGames) have taken up all of the outside viewing population. Why? Because quite frankly, people getting hurt gets ratings.

Hell look even at NASCAR. The most watched event is Tally. Why? Because it's the fastest and best chance for terrific crashes.

Bottom line is we are not marketable enough anymore. We are trying to make it safer and the general public only wants to see crashes and gore. That's what "made" the racing in the 90's work. We were part of the only dangerous.. ie.. I can see the guy tumbling down the track, sport in town.

11. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

professional
    Definition
    pro·fes·sion·al[ prō féshən'l ]ADJECTIVE

following occupation as paid job: engaged in an occupation as a paid job rather than as a hobby
    "professional tennis player"

a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>

b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>

c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

A professional is a person who is paid to undertake a specialized set of tasks and to complete them for a fee. The term is also used in sports to differentiate amateur players from those who are paid - hence "professional footballer" and "professional golfer".

12. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Just to clarify, F1 purposely limits entries and grids have been full. Also, the racing has been amazing. Aside from a struggling team here and there over the years, there is no lack of money being thrown around the modern F1 paddock.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

So 'affordable.' What the hell is 'affordable'?

(Throw out the word 'Pro'. There are those who don't get paid to be professional assholes, but they've made a career out of it anyhow. :D)

So is racing in the premier series (debatable) in any class going to be affordable? Should it be? While it makes for a fascinating debate, it's also a moot point, as it depends on so many factors, from the economy, to the whims of the manufacturers and supporting vendors, to rules packages along the political climate of the governing body of the sport.

So here's the deal, racers gonna race. They will find a means. 'Affordable' is a subjective term. Wanna race? make it work. Beg, borrow and sell your soul. It's the way it's always been, I sincerely doubt it will change any time soon.

13. Spyderchick

Them dudes is cray-cray. :Poke: :D

14. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

The AMA thinks they are bigger than they are.

I was watching mid-ohio last night. The stands was empty, the camp ground was green ( empty) , turn out must have been at an all time low.

But yet they want riders and crews to all look like team Yamaha?

15. Spyderchick

Image is everything. ;)

16. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

That would be great is some one was looking.

17. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

:stupid:
    And every customer I call on and enlightened about TV coverage still watches it

18. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Glad we got that all cleared up...:rolleyes:

19. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Do you go to a job interview looking like a slob and tell them if you get the job you will dress better??

20. gpstar748

you can look professional without needing a semi-truck and 300k electronics package.... ;)

look at BSB