Mid Ohio Vintage Days

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchcakes, Jul 23, 2012.

1. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Any reports? Who won/who crashed? Was it hot? Were there any hot babes in the paddock and did any of their t-shirts get wet?

2. joec

joec brace yourself

i heard team gianinni came home with plenty of wood. 2 wins and 2 seconds and a 3rd for the team. on sat. tim tilghman, jersey girl smith, and midge midgley. weather was good saturday. i heard near perfect for racing. didnt get the sunday report.

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

It was awesome both days. I rode up from cincy with my dad and brother sat morning and home yesterday afternoon. Racing was great. The flat track races sat night were frickin crazy. A must see if you go to vintage days.

4. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Huge grids both days with some clean yet competitive racing both days in the stars light and middle weight classes! The racing was super fast this year compared the last few years. I dropped 2.5 seconds this year into the low 43's and fell an average of 10 finishing spots compared to last year! :eek:

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Was glad to see that Tuna was running 39's on the SV. That's smoking.

6. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Snellenberger wicked it up on Sunday to win MW Stars after losing out in LW Stars by .153. The guys at the front of the SV classes were on fire. Great crowds too. Always nice to have some people to wave to on the cool down lap other than your girlfriend. Sidecar teams are nuts too. Love watching them go thru the esses.
    Good times for sure. If you havent been, you should put it on your schedule for next year. :beer:

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

That's faster than some 600's were going during the AMA round. Nice!

Back in the FX days, I always thought it would be cool to try and qualify an SV650 onto an AMA grid.

8. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Sammy Snellenberger did a string of 39's on Sunday as well. That is cooking......:clap:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolute blast of an event.

10. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

fun weekend for sure. i had some great battles with bj rosacker, john trautman and bob robbins. never met bob before. he has a bad ass early 90's ducati that is very fast. on saturday i could hear him right behind me all race. i kept thinking he was from another class! great riding by all.

got down in to the 37's. bj and i were running consistent 38's in the last race...just to continue the V7 pact to never let a SV run a faster lap time time than our old wobbly 600's. :)

he came around me on the outside of T1 on the last lap sunday and i kept it pinned. we both were sliding the front like crazy way out wide. it's freaking slippery out there! i lost the rear then saved it, just as he lost the rear. i got away and didn't know if he crashed or was right on me. we had been right behind kurt nickerson for the last 3 laps and couldn't find a good place to pass. finally he went a little wide between 10 and 11 and i made the pass. i saw the red flag coming in to the carousel. when i got off the gas and didn't see bj anywhere in site i thought he went down for sure. on the cool down i didn't see bj in T1. then i saw kurt nickerson and his bike in the gravel in T11. turns out he lost his footing and couldn't get it sorted out to turn and had to go in to the gravel. glad he's alright.

those twins grids were huge! 26 riders in LW and 12 in HW for race 5. awesome.

funny you say that about ama qualifying eddie. we were joking about what the officials would say if we showed up with a 18 year old CBR...

11. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I believe there's a cutoff by manufacture date. Could be wrong though.

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Awesome results Kevin, And yeah Bob is fast as hell on that Beautiful Duc. Raced him at Road Atlanta.

I really wished I could have made it. I WILL make next year come hell or high water.

13. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

I had an awesome time at Mid-Ohio. I had no idea that many bikes and that many events would be going on.

I think I saw every possible pit vehicle ever created on the planet riding around the paddock.

WERA did a great job and I was happy to be part of it.

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

It was an awesome weekend of racing. KMC pushes me to ride at the full extent of my abilities. I just wish I knew how close that was to his abilities. Fast SOB seems to go just fast enough to keep me at bay. :D It's a blast to ride at the limit with someone who won't give you an inch, but you trust completely. Great times.

Thanks to all for the great racing. Thanks to Tuna for getting me back on track after my exhaust packing let go (again.) Biggest props to my beautiful wife for all her help and support all weekend. :up:

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

He's a hell of a nice guy too. It was really cool to meet him this weekend.

16. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I had an amazing time at VMD this year. I had some really good battles with Sam Snellenberger and Bob Robbins(guy on the fast old Ducati). My fastest lap was a 1:39.1. I was trying for 38's but couldn't get it on Sunday. Saturday felt like a breeze and Sunday was rough. I should have bought new tires and didnt have the money. I wound up lowsiding after sticking a pass on Bob Robbins on the last lap of the last race... The bike spun around and hit Bob's rear tire as he passed, pushing him off course and he went down as well. I feel really bad about that whole incident. I had some shifter issues in that race which you can see develop on the 2nd lap of the race.

Videos:
    STARS MW on Saturday - 1st
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscPymp_PW0&feature=plcp
    STARS LW on Sunday - 3rd
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWrkmZoYPd4&feature=plcp
    STARS MW on Sunday - DNF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyrDUxlsgvc&feature=plcp

17. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I had more fun than imaginable, Simon Buric guy is fassst, and need to start preparing to battle with the stinky fish in the funny hat next year.:beer:

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

19. Theother46

Theother46 Active Member

It was a great weekend all around. That track goes from feeling like marbles when cool to sticky when it finally heats up. The WERA and AMA team up seems to really work well. Sam Snellenberger and I have had some great races together in AHRMA and again this weekend in MW Stars battling for second after Tuna checked out. I got a little luckier in traffic. Tuna is just plain fast wherever he goes, and Simon.....get used to him as a front runner. Smooth as can be and a quick learner and a great guy to boot. It was some great close racing all around. I can't run LW since my bike is far from Superstock legal. In the 90's classes those guys really pulled me along and upped my pace. I chased those Hondas hard with my Duc and had a great time with Kevin, BJ and John. I stalked Kevin for the whole race in SB Saturday hoping he'd make a mistake but he didn't. I thought about squeezing in under him in the carousel but it may have ended in a yard sale. It was cool to have such a contrast in bikes running together and its good for the class. As far as Tuna collecting me, I was bummed about it as that bike hasn't been crashed since 99 and I was sore as hell after getting flicked over the top and burrowed under the airfence. But after watching his on board he posted, he was outriding me just about everywhere except in a straight line, so whatcha gonna do?

20. Tuna's Bike

Tuna's Bike Suzuki SV650...

I soil my panties every time I watch the video.:up: