1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smartphone gps?

Discussion in 'General' started by metalkid88, Jul 11, 2012.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Hate? What hate? I don't care enough about it to hate, it's just my opinion that a standalone device is a better option.

2. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

If you have used and are accustomed to the Google Maps Navigation on Android, nothing will be as good. I went through this - tried different apps, iPhone stuff, car GPS's....nothing is as good. Are there others that will do GPS Navigation and get you there? Absolutely. Just have to get used to chuck steak when you've had a ribeye... This singular reason was an enormous part of not going with iPhone when I just changed phones again a few months ago.

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Apologys, I may have been taking a lack of reading and comprehension skill set for hate

4. lizard84

Google Maps does not offer real time traffic information, whereas TomTom offers TomTom HD Traffic.

And good luck using google maps in offline mode (no data)

5. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Garmin's app for the iPhone also downloads all the map data to the phone.

It looks just like their standalone app when in use.

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You misspelled "apologies".

7. lizard84

I can't spell for shit, that the best you can do?

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

<edit> Know what? Never mind, I don't care. You can go on the ignore list, I have better things to do with my time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  9. lizard84

I have issues?

10. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

You can now download the Google maps data to your Android phone so you have the data when you are offline.:clap:

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Well yes. Yes you do. But they aren't anything decades of counseling won't help.

12. lizard84

I got that going for me...;)

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yes and Yes... traffic is an easy one, but it does require data service of some type. Google Maps caches nav tiles, which you can manage in the settings, true its not a full map so you may have issues with that. However you can use something like Orux Maps to build your offiline map ahead of time.

Also, I've not encountered an android phone w/o Maps on it... turn-by-turn is available on all of them.

Apple has an uphill battle with this one. Even if they partner with one of the established GPS providers, they're still way behind when it comes to street view, or interior maps (like museums, malls) etc.

Sounds like you're the one hating. :p

14. lizard84

So you agree with everything I said for the most part, the OP asked about a iPhone, correct?

I stated my opinion on his current and future options for turn by turn on the phone he is working with.

As for droid phones having turn by turn with there maps, yes they do because they (Google) allows it.They don't allow apple phones to do so.

And like I posted, the TT app has all maps on it, nothing to build ahead of time.

I thought about driving through a mall once but I decided to walk instead.:)