UFC 148 - Silva vs Sonnen II

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Jul 4, 2012.

1. HoPPeRR

HoPPeRR Member

Silva submits second round.

2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Could anyone clarify what Silva did a few years ago that make you guys not like him?
    I wasnt keeping up with the sport back then.

3. tito

tito Well-Known Member

he had a couple of fights that were really boring.....meaning he was not enguaging his opponents. the two that come to mind are patrick cote and damien mia(SP on both of the names) he out pointed them to win but especially in the cote fight it was almost like a FU to the UFC for making him fight someone he (and most fans) didn't think worthy of a title fight. at one point he offered a hand to cote to help him get up as both wanted a stand up game. cote ended up blowing out his knee in the 2nd or third round ending the fight. it was just a weird fight almost looked like a sparing session where anderson didn't want to hurt cote.

the maia fight, maia wanted to get anderson on the ground and would basically jsut fall to the mat when anderson got near him, anderson would back off and the ref would stand them up.....again anderson just didn't seem his usual self that everyone wanted to see.
    the mia fight was as much mia's fault as it was andersons, the cote fight was just weird.

4. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Mostly I think it is because for a long while now he had seemed disinterested in the fights he has been. Granted, except for Sonnen it has been a line up of opponents that were easy for him to figure out and didn't seem like he was putting any effort into his fights. The main instance people refer to is the Damian Maia fight where Silva made Maia look like an a-hole the whole time by staying on the outside where Maia's jiu-jitsu was rendered moot. He did a lot of dancing and clowning (for lack of a better word) for the entire fight and did just enough to win. Basically he isn't very endearing to American fans and no one really cares about him as a champion because of his percieved lack of caring.

Yeah, what he said

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Well, like i said i didnt watch so i dont know better.

Doesnt seem like his fault. One fight he didnt want, neither did some of the fans he made clear it in the octagon.
    And the other fight he didnt fought where the other guy was comfortable I mean if he was less of a fighter and didnt had a chance fighting the other guys game it would be fine for him to do what he did, but just because he could beat the guy on the ground, but chose not to he was being a jerk?

I dont, this doesnt even matter right now, im excited for this saturday!

6. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

it was more of the "clowning" dis-respect shown to the competitors... he said he was too good for these guys. OK, show us. end it in round one with a KO or a submission.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I can't recall which match it was but I was referring to the one where he was mocking his opponent by, literally, making stupid faces at him while poking it out towards him, sometimes while throwing his hands up in the air basically just trying to goad his opponent into hitting him.
    Instead of just taking control of the fight and finishing him off if he was so much better than him. Total buffoonery.

8. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Add Silva's 5 round decision win over Thales Leites to the list. This was his next fight after Patrick Cote. It was a snoozefest as well.
    Silva's fight with Damian Maia & Thales Leites were just horrendously bad & just weird how Silva coulda ended them both, but just wouldn't do it for whatever the reason. I don't blame him at all for not going to the ground with either, since that's not his game. He's a striker who wants someone to challenge him standing.

Now Sonnen was able to force him to the ground & fight the first time, and he was punched a lot, but nothing close to being finished, so he can take some punishment.

Dayum..... Saturday can't get here quick enough! Although.... I can't wait to watch the weigh-in tomorrow and see the staredown! There will prolly be at least 6 bouncers up there with Dana. Just in case! :up:

This was after Tuesday's press conference....
    [​IMG]

9. SpeedyTide

That was against Damian Maia. Speaking of Maia.... he's fighting Saturday night, but has moved down to Welterweight and fighting Dong Kim I believe?

10. 2weelferrum04

2weelferrum04 Well-Known Member

My money is on silva
    but it will be interesting to say the least

11. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Nice should bump to sonnens face at weigh ins. I gotta watch for sure

12. SpeedyTide

It's on like donkey kong!! :beer:

13. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Yup...I wanna see C.S. Submit him...or..ko him..:D

14. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I so hope its a war that lasts at least three rounds!

15. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Champeenchip fights are 5 rounds, I'll settle for a 3rd round ko in favor of CS..:D

16. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

I thought probably Silva until I saw the video on UFC.com about Chael's childhood(American Gangster). Man that guy has some demons, and the twins next door, that is unthinkable!

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Let me know when Alistair Overeem is fighting. He's a beast. These other guys are boring. Yeah, he might want to cut back on the injections a little bit lol. He was a terror in K1 and Strikeforce.

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:crackup:.....
    That's what I'm saying, guy is a riot! Definitely has a career after MMA, LOL!

Beast is putting it mildly, anxious to see him fight again too.

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, for anyone who missed the first Silva v Sonnen match of two years ago, UFC.com has it up for free. Watched it for the first time in whole just now...........thanks Dana! :D

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Now you understand?:D

Silva took the win but Sonnen did the beating. Credit goes to both guys. It will be interesrting. One thing that I believe is that Sonnen is not afraid of Silva, he still believes. That has to count for some thing. I have to assume Silva is still a student and will bring a new set of skills or tactic, evey master is.