Windows 8 upgrade for $40.00

Discussion in 'General' started by 771Doug, Jul 5, 2012.

1. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

It seems that Microsoft will be offering an "upgrade" to Windows 8 for users of older versions (XP, Vista, 7) for $40.00. My biggest concern is compatibility with some applications I'm using (Norton, Quicken, etc.).
    I'll definitely have to do more research, but it won't be available for a while, anyway.

Just when I'm getting comfy with Ice Cream Sandwich, another change comes along. :rolleyes:

Anybody planning on going for it?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I use windows 7 pro on my work laptop and windows 7 home on my wife's laptop and short of them paying me to change, it ain't happening. Pro 7 kicks ass, for a winders OS.

3. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

They're offering W8 Pro.

The fact that you like 7 so much is a good sign. I don't know shit about those versions. I'm running Vista. Works fine for web, email, usual stuff.

4. 2weelferrum04

2weelferrum04 Well-Known Member

i wonder if everything we have on our systems will work on this new version
    research time

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'll probably do it just to get rid of this freakin glitch that I can't seem to find a solution to.....lol!

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I'm sure they will have a compatibility checker like they did with the Win 7 Pro upgrade.

7. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

XP was the best they ever did. Vista is horrible, not quite Windows ME horrible, but pretty damn horrible. I like 7.

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Other good thing is it will be a 'backwards' license... so it can also be a Win7 Pro license for $40 too.. and if you get in on the pre-order you dont have to pay for MediaCenter.

Ice Cream Sandwhich? Thats old dude, wait till you experience Jelly Bean!!! Its freakin awesome!

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

What makes XP better than 7, in your opinion?

After a year or so of crap ICS roms on my Evo, I finally upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus (ICS) which works awesome compared to the wanna be roms on the Evo. NOW you're telling me Jelly Bean is out already!?!?!? :Puke:

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I just started using a MacBook Pro for work just for shits and gigs since I've never had an Apple before. It's not bad, didn't take me very long to get used to it, and I also have a Win 7 Ultimate VM running in Fusion for any applications that don't support Mac so I'm all good.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Hi there.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I keep forgetting that you can do something like that, the thing that always made me stick with windows was mostly due to the pricey programs I own already.....might need to try Apple on my next desktop purchase.

13. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

64-bit Win 7 is just about as good as it gets.

I'm not sold on Win8 at all.

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

This guy is fuckin up win8 big time. When it breaks your world yell at him.

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Give it time. Its taken me awhile to get used to the new interface but it works pretty well.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

:FL:

:crackup:

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I gotta say I'm not entirely sold on Metro yet. Certainly not on current hardware that wasn't desinged to support it. my only other reservation about it is I am a heavy Media Center user so I'll likely have some machinery that stays on 7 for a while. At least until the 3rd party software I use completely supports 8.

Nothing negative to say about it really just waiting for the final relase.

18. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I've been playing with beta on my netbook and I am getting used to it. It definitely seems to load faster and is smooth.

Hey Sunshine, how is the Surface Pro looking? Any thoughts on pricing on it? Heard any rumors?

19. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I have been on XP for years. I have vista on my wifes laptop.

Why should I upgrade and will 8 be a resource hog like Vista?

20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Windows Vista was the mean parent so 7 could go on vacation with you and not leave you in Jamaica.

What I mean by that XP let developers do some things that they should have been doing in the first place.

Vista was the LCB showing up at the party and it broke a ton of stuff. Most of it needed breaking.