rocky mountain wildfires

Discussion in 'General' started by SLLaffoon, Jun 27, 2012.

1. canezach

canezach Well-Known Member

I am. The area to the north of Woodmen and west of I-25 has been evacuated, but the fire is still mostly in the mountains. The neighborhoods that were built backing up to the mountains are in flames, but the further east you go, the neighborhoods are still safe. If you're familiar with Garden of the Gods Rd., Centennial Rd., 30th Street, etc., on the west side of town, you'll have a pretty good idea of where the fires have reached. The housing areas on the Air Force Academy that were built on the western part of the AFA have all been evacuated. There's a picture out there that shows the fire on the mountain above the AFA stadium. If I can find it, I'll post it up.

ETA: Here's the pic. You can see the fires are still mainly up in the mountain areas, but they've creeped down in some spots and burning embers will go wherever the winds take them

[​IMG]

I've lost everything once before. My family and I stayed in our house in Homestead, FL during Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Literally EVERYTHING we owned was gone. We could scavenge some clothes and had one car that was still driveable, but everything else was ruined. All our pictures, all our papers, you name it, it was destroyed. As it's been said many times in this thread, it's just stuff. We moved back to Miami, bought another house, and rebuilt our lives. If I need to evacuate, I'll grab the important things and let everything else burn.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Holeeeee schitt.

The word epic is overdone, but damn it fits there. :(

4. Wow, just wow.
    To those who have been through an evacuation, how do they handle the apparent opportunities for burglary/theft ? There are only so many LEOs around. Do they bring in the Guard ?
    Hope all goes well for youse guys.

5. canezach

canezach Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've seen the other pictures they have out there, but I think they put the AFA stadium one to shame, unfortunately

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Scary stuff for sure. But, I'd still have to load a couple of my vintage bikes up in the van before hitting the road. My street bike - let it burn or roll it into the pool.

8. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Glenngsxr and Canejach, how you guys making out?

Kevin

9. Vort3xR6

Vort3xR6 Well-Known Member

It's a sad deal. I am also sad to see some great riding areas turn to ash. Poudre Canyon up north is non-existent now and it was an amazing ride.

Glad there are no fatalities but reports are showing almost 350 homes lost. Can't imagine losing everything like that.

10. caferace

caferace No.

It reminds me of the Oakland Hills fire back in 1991. Crazy stuff...

[​IMG]

-jim

11. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Yeah, Cali had some crazy fires through out the years..:(

12. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

I am doing good and Cane is probably ok as well. Got back in the house, but the destruction above me on the hill is just unreal. Approx 350 houses destroyed, making it the most destructive fire in Colorado history. Found out this morning that we did have one casualty. Very sad to hear, but only one is just amazing. I must say the emergency services people did an amazing job with this whole thing.

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Like other magic places of grass, brush, and trees, it isn't all in the past tense.
    Sometimes folks' memories are short...

14. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Thanks for the update. You guys have been on my mind all week. :beer:

15. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Glenn, glad all is well. Sitting here in Utah watching our state burn to the ground as well. I have one old friend I fear lost his house, they issued a report of 1 fatality in his town of 200 people and I cant get him on his cell. Crazy old bastard probably went down with the ship I fear.

It's only the beginning out here they are saying.... We've had 100,000 or so acres burn in the last week and more new fires every day.

16. glenngsxr

That's terrible. Bless his soul if that's the case. There's something admirable about that, in my eyes. Seems like we have about 8-10 fires going at any given time right now. Just dry, hot, and dangerous. I see one prick lighting fireworks this year and it will not be a pretty sight.

17. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Word has it the mountain pine beetle has played a large role in this one.

18. glenngsxr

I believe it. We did have a great deal of beetle kill throughout the forest. By the time they are done with a tree, it looks like a real xmas tree on about the 28th. Dry, rotting, and brittle. Mother nature is taking care of her forest, even though it's not ideal for us humans.

19. glenngsxr

Couple more pics.
    The scene Tuesday night
    [​IMG]
    Housing area on the hill above me
    [​IMG]

20. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Wow. You all stay safe...