1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brand of helmet??

Discussion in 'General' started by melissaclark, Jun 22, 2012.

1. This is why I could never where the top of the line Arai. Bruce Porter really helped me out way back when getting the proper shell and cheek pads for my odd shaped head, been a fan ever since.

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

+1

3. duc995

duc995 Yep…

The was a comprehensive comparison test a little over five years back that verified that some of the less expensive helmets with the polycarbonate shells actually absorbed more energy on impact than most of the expensive composite helmets. Ever since then I have traded my expensive Arai for a Scorpion Exo 400 and can't complain about the fit or finish. It just seems ridiculous to me to spend over $500 for a helmet when less than half that actually buys a helmet that was destruction tested and proven to perform better.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those tests weren't exactly the same as racing impacts. Your choice but I'll stick with spending barely more than a set of tires to protect my brain.

I swear the shit people bitch about spending money on with regard to racing is hilarious.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Arai gives me a painful headache after a while. Shoei fits me perfect, love it. KBC saved my noggin! In my experience the top shelf helmets have better designed venting (kbc sucked on that note). A very big deal in my neck of the woods. They tend to have better interiors too.

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Smartest helmet guy I've ever met. Most people don't even know what shape they head be. He can look at a head and tell you what shape and size.

Happened to me with the wrong shape. The size was right but there were pressure points that I didn't realize were causing headaches. Got the right shape and no more problem.

Does any other manufacturer make as many shapes as Arai?

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I really like my Suomy's, I've had Arai and Shoei's before this one. Like others have said, make sure it fits well.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Proper fit is the key, go try on a bunch of helmets and find one that fits.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

For me: Suomy Spec 1R or Extreme(fits just tiny bit better than Arai), Arai (almost perfect) or Bell. They fit my head.

Don't know much about the new Suomy Excel but if someone wants to send me a free one. . . :D

10. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

My first Helmet was a Shoei RF series and I've purchased 6 other Shoeis since. I use an X-11 now which will be replaced by an X-12 soon, but from a protection for price standpoint I always recommend a Shoei RF. The only reason I spend the extra money on the X is noticeably better ventilation, although that also makes it slightly louder on the street.

11. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

The most intelligent reply yet. A $2k il-fitting helmet won't do you a damned thing. Any of the main manufacturers with helmets around $200 and up will do the job with protection. Most of the additional money is either paying for the name, less noise, different ventilation, different liners, etc.

12. duc995

duc995 Yep…

I just went with what was scientifically proven to absorb the most deceleration G's ...energy transmission - or lack there of - is what counts. Of course no matter what helmet you wear your brain is still floating in a bath of cerebrospinal fluid and subject to bouncing around inside your cranium - which is where the damage really occurs.

This isn't an oil thread is it?

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

crashed both an Arai and Soumy this year. Other than the arai costing 50% more... both helmets proved worthy of being a repeat customer. Ive got 2 brand new HJCs (instead of 1 arai) based on motojoes crash experience.

Figure even without a crash an active racer would probably need a new helmet every couple years from usage.

would gladly donate the crashed helmets if someone wanted to conduct some research that could benefit us all as a community.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Here is a good one. A small European nation did quite well using it while kicking some ass in the late 30's and early 40's. Good Luck.
    [​IMG]

15. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I've crashed Suomy, HJC, Scorpion and KBC. Suomy and Scorpion did the best.

I currently have myself, my wife and my son in Bells. I LOVE them. I sell my friends Bells. If you really want to know what helmets are good ask the guy your buying it from what helmet he and his family are wearing.

The Bell RS-1 is the best helmet on the market sub $400 in my opinion. My best seller by far with the most positive feedback from my customers.

16. Drews600

Drews600 Well-Known Member

Helmet choice

I like Shoei or Arai. Just try on some different models and see what feels best to you.

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Lot of Scorpions in our corner of the paddock get tossed on the ground, everyone seems to do ok (well, except Rob, but how do you know if it's the helmet or just Rob :Poke: :D).

I've done a couple of faceplants wearing Scorpions and came out ok.

18. Fit is VERY important. I didnt realize my shit was all wrong till Van pointed it out to me at Barber last year. It is amazing how much better a helmet feels and how your vision and tuck can improve drastically when a helmet fits right.

19. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

I go with Bruce Porters theory. If Arai didn't make helmets I would wear a Shoei. If Shoei didn't make helmets I wouldn't ride.

20. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Summed my thoughts exactly. Bruce is a smart guy.