1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take it in or sell it?

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, Jun 18, 2012.

1. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I have a off the rack Vanson suit I got last year and now its too big. Should I have it taken in? It would need to be taken in about 4 sizes form 54 to 46 and I dont know if there is a limit to how much a suit can be taken in. Sell it? or keep it for when I get gain weight again. :D

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What color and model?

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Black Hybrid, its a $1000 suit if I remember right.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

I might be interested since I can't seem to drop the Pillsbury Doughboy look.

5. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

This really wasnt a for sale add but if it comes to that I'll throw WERA some coin for the add. :)

6. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Call a leather shop or Mr Bill here and see how far it can be taken in. 4 sizes seems like a lot plus my bet is it will be a few $100 in shipping/ re leathering fees. I would ship to Bill or another known Suit man before a local leather shop.

My bet is it would not be cost effective to take it in., but check first.

My vote is for the sale and new suit..

and congrats on the weight loss.

Or just get a really big back protector:D

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Im going to put it in the WERA classifieds in the next few days. Im hoping to keep on this losing trend so I cant really see them taking it that far in. Plus after some thought I would have way to much money in it.

8. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

This is just a pathetic attempt to brag about losing weight, go on, admit it. :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Keep it :D

Too bad you're not taller although I don't think you were as round as me even at your biggest.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

54 american? Gawd damn, If I stand on Chip's shoulders we'd still have room for a third in smoke's party leathers.

"Weirdest thang I ever did see. He unzipped the leathers and midgets just kept pourin' on out. Like a freakin' clown car."

11. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I had B. Bill take a similar amount out of my suit and couldn't be happier with the results. He did a great job refitting my suit which to be honest never felt all that great when new. IIRC he removed around 10" from the midsection of the suit last time and refitted the rest to work with the alterations. Not really sure what he charged me as I had a jacket resized and cleaned at the same time, but I was pleasently surprised at the bill.

I will probably be visiting him with the suit one last time in the fall as I seem to be the only guy to spend 2-3 months in germany drinking beer every night and lose weight...

12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

You caught me :D
    Im a lot shorter for sure but I was pretty big around :D

:crackup:

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Can you get the innards for one of those 'air suit' thingies and just put them in pre-inflated?

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Now thats a plan.

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Eat MoR Bakin
    [​IMG]

16. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Hey Bud,
    I have used my vanson's for years and had them refurbished a few years ago. They did a tremendous job. They clean them thoroughly restained, replaced a panel on the back that had a bunch of back protector shaped holes in it, replaced some of the kevlar and stitched up the internal mesh. I think I paid like $400.00 for them to do that but mine was a custom suit to start.

That said, I was comfortable with what they charged me and the suit was like new when I got it back. The only issue I had was the time it took them to do it. However, I chose to send it to them in January (right before the start of the season) and they were very busy. It's not a big company.

I would definitely consult them first before I did anything else.

17. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

To add, I have had that suit for over 10 years now and it is still going strong. But, then again, I don't put em on the ground that often, thankfully. I have been blessed with a bike that tells me when it's on it's limit.:D From an ROI perspective, having to put $400 into it was well worth it for me.

18. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I called and they told me that I wanted to take too much out unless I wanted to travel there for them to measure me. Their advice was sell it and buy another.

19. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

taking out

is it a double zipper or a single up the front. single up the front is a little easier. put it on with all your gear . have a friend pinch up the excess leather down the outside seams from the armpit to the hip ( equally both sides) then mark the pinched leather on both sides with a pen or crayon to show what comes out. go down the inseam of the legs from the crotch to the ankle and the inseam of the arms from the armpit to the cuffs the same way. we charge about 200.00 and shipping for that amount of alterations. losing that much weight the collar may need adjustiing too. pinch it up at the back of the neck . that's about it. not rocket science. don't try to get it too tight either. thanks, bill and darethea

BARNALE BILL'S
    1106 LOGAN ROAD
    SPRINGFIELD, KY 40069

20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Its a double zipper suit maybe that was the problem?