1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XR1200 Showdown

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

it this different or the same as the bikes that Aaron's building?

2. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

3. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

This is different. They are bikes that I'm putting together in conjunction with Spyke's Harley-Davidson and will be transported on the Riders-Discount/Vesrah rigs.

4. Good point. :crackup:

...asshole. :moon:

5. KWyman133

Haha I think Chris could open up a whole 55-gallon drum of whoop-ass on an XR1200 :D

6. Gigantic

Cool. I have someone who might want to talk to you.

7. :crackup:

8. HenryZX6R

HenryZX6R Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like NHRA PS Motorcycle, they hold all the cards and are given an unfare advantage over every other manufacturer. F Harley

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Not at all, in Pro Stock they were competing against Suzuki and Kawasaki. Here it is a one make series.

10. HenryZX6R

HenryZX6R Well-Known Member

LOL competing? More like buying wins for advertising. Similar to the XR class, even though that is a lot of fun to watch. Should have quoted the poster regarding the twins class with more than one manufacturer, but I forgot. This post...

But I agree with the end result, more money/exposure for road racing is NEVER a bad thing. :)

11. Personally, i commend Harley for giving many people the opportunity to race instead of sitting at home. They are putting money into the sport and racers on the track; good for them.

Sure, it would probably be more exciting if they were all on naked superbikes like Aprilia Tuono V4's. But Aprilia isnt supporting a race class, Harley is. And im thankful for any support "we" get.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't quite say "intense dislike," but a HD would never be at the top of my list.

The XR1200 series has started to change that. Every time I watch that class, I check out how much they're going for near me.

I doubt I'd ever race one, but it might be a fun noise-maker/commuter some day. Basically, HD's marketing is appealing to me for the first time in my life. Good for them.

13. Gigantic

it is a relatively cheap class to run, too. For about $15000, you could concievably be on the grid as an AMA Pro racer.

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Good seeing you at Talladega Kyle.... And congrats on the win again at Daytona... We will track you down at Road Atlanta...:up:

Marc

15. KWyman133

The XR1200 rental program has been a hit!

I have one bike available for the Barber round next weekend. Who's ready to give it a shot?!

[​IMG]

16. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Hmmm, Kyle, not sure if you remember me or not but I was one of the instructors at Bargy's school several years back (maybe 2008) and spent some time with you and your brother. I rode an SV. You guys were obviously younger. Good to see you rockin and rollin out there. So, what would the rental be at Barber?

Take Care,

17. KWyman133

Hey John!

The gist of it:

$2k plus tires/fuel/entry is the basic rental. This includes the bike and equipment such as warmers, stands, tools, generators, etc. For an extra $1k we will provide the mechanics to make it a true arrive-and-ride deal.

We will also have the bikes available for the NOLA test after the race, so if anyone would like to try riding one outside of a race weekend, there's your chance!

18. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Thanks Kyle! Not a bad deal. Mechanics for an extra 1k, huh? Not bad either I suppose. What are thier primary responsiblities? Suspension set up based on feed back and feel or just helping with the warmers, tire pressures, tires/wheels. Keep in mind I know nothing about these bikes. Never swung my leg over one, but they look like a blast to ride. But, I can articulate what a bike is doing based on feel what I feel it needs as far as a turn here or click there.

19. KWyman133

The bikes are outfitted with Race Tech suspension, but we have support from Lenny Albin of Ohlins (previously from Race Tech) who is there to help all the riders with suspension. He is there regardless, whether you bring your own crew or I supply them.

Typically you just need someone to run the bike to tech, change tires/wheels, fill the gas tank, run warmers and pressures, and take care of your grid procedures before the race. :up: