1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roughneck in north dakota

Discussion in 'General' started by 2SickRacing, Jun 10, 2012.

1. 2SickRacing

2SickRacing Well-Known Member

has anyone or know of anyone working in north dakota on the oil fields? true they pay 120k first timers for a year, is it worth it?

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I brought this up a while back.
    It's true. If I was younger, I would be all over that shit :)
    I heard Walmart was paying something like $15 an hour.
    Housing is supposed to be a problem as they were having trouble
    keeping up with the demand.
    Most were living in motor homes and such.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I read a story about some old couple going to the store to buy some for sale signs to try and sell their house. There was a roughneck behind her in line who bought it from them, sight unseen for more than they were going to ask.

From what I've read, it's mostly true (wages might be a bit lower but not by much). Ain't easy work but it pays.

4. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

My nephew just took his first job out of North Dakota State. He is working with water systems and expansion of water lines to cope with the growth.

5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

My Step Dad was a rough Neck in the 80s in the North Sea on Rigs and made a ton of money, so I can only imagine its still incredible money. But he worked 20 hr shifts, 30 days in a row. then 30 days off. I couldnt do that

6. 2SickRacing

Thx for the response. Was def interested in this. I'm 24 no ties. Think it's the best opportunity for me, just to work for a year or two there and then come back to good ol SoCal. I know it'll be brutal work but hopefully worth it, if you have any leads u know of that would be great. I searched roughneck on here but nothing came up

7. Sacko DougK

Is your health going to be a factor? If your too sick to race, how will you be able to do that kind of work?

8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

back story?

9. 2SickRacing

Hahahahaha funny. He's regarding to my screen name

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A lot of those jobs are either who you know or at the right place at the right time. I know the gas frackers up in PA hire locals for a lot of the grunt jobs and it's a case of being there. One dude I know has been working on the pipe lines up in PA for the last 3 years and got the job because he was buying a gallon of milk at 2 am for his kid and the crew foreman was in buying a pack of smokes and a coffee. Jim (my friend) is pulling bank and is in with that crew and is doing jobs in Texas and country wide now with them because he ran out of milk and wanted his kid to have a glass of milk in the morning. :)

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

ND is exploding right now... Just do your research before you jump in. Being a roughneck is no joke. It's not alot of fun and you are surrounded by alpha's all day long.

Edit.. Never mind.. Just described a WERA weekend :D You'll be fine.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Friend of mine bought a 5th wheel for an extended out of town job and then sold it afterwards. Might be the best way to go for living quarters, if the housing is as tough as they say.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I would say go for it if you dont mind hard work and getting dirty. We are losing a bunch of people to the boom in North Dakota all the time.
    The rigs can be pretty shitty but they do pay well. The most difficult thing for you will be not pissing all of the money you make away in the bar as most rig hands are at the bar every night. If you are a good worker and catch on quick you will move up fast too as there is a severe talent shortage. Its not a bad career once you get away from the manual labor too.

14. Oilfield trash.

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

How much time do you spend away from home there, Boomer?

16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Being in a camper in a ND winter would suck, -35 F is not something I would want to be camping in.

17. Sacko DougK

Winterized, it wouldn't be bad. In Greenland, we lived in winterized mobile homes with walls that were like 6" thick.

As a child, my grandmother grew up in a sod home there. They lived on Fort Rice, next to the Cannonball River. Her father, my great-grandfather, was a missionary to the Soiux.

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Some companies that you can call for information are;

Chesapeake Energy
    http://www.jobsradar.com/?companyid...sapeake energy&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc
    Marathon Drilling
    http://www.marathondrilling.com/
    Continental Resources
    http://www.contres.com/careers
    Whiting Petroleum
    http://www.whiting.com/careers/

There are others but these are probably the largest. From what I found there are more frigging jobs in the drilling industry than you can shake a stick at.
    Other areas that are hot right now is the Eagle Ford oil play in South Texas, the Permian Basin oil play in West Texas, the Marcellus natural gas play in Pennsylvania and the Haynesville shale (natural gas) play in Louisiana.

I read a couple of weeks ago where in the Permian Basin play in West Texas (Midland area) they are having to build "man camps" to house all the needed people for that oil boom. The Permian Basin is an old oil field that's gotten a real shot in the arm with the new fracturing methods and is hotter than it was 50 years ago.

Work awaits you. :up:

19. 6 months of the year basically (28/28 schedule). I work 4 weeks then im off 4 weeks.

20. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

I work out of Pa 14 days on 7 off...I do the hydro fracking. It's a good life, bills are paid. House in NY and a townhouse in Pa. 4 bikes in the garage and 7 day vacation every 2 weeks.