1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone / Android Dilemna

Discussion in 'General' started by Matt H, May 27, 2012.

1. farva03r

farva03r Well-Known Member

2. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

As I said above, Verizon is OUT. Coverage is the problem. Been with them for years. So anything about "go with verizon" is just plain not listening to the question. I wouldn't be pursuing this question if I didn't have to change.

3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I don't believe the 5 will have a larger screen. Apple lIke's to keep things streamlined and fragmenting the OS like that doesn't make sense. And IMHO the screen size is fine. If I want a bigger screen I'll use my iPad or my computer.

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Lulz.

U DO realize Steve jobs didn't design the iPhone right?

There ARE other good products. By none at the same level of refinement. Period.

Higher specs doesn't translate to a better product

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

The screen probably will increase some but not by the same amount as the Android phones. If they go 4" there are indications they will push further out on the displays to be closer to the edges and not increase the physical size by much. But at this point, LTE is really the only thing close to definite, and probably the same chip as the new iPad.

I've used Androids and iPhones. The 4S is my primary phone now. The refinement on the iPhone is significantly higher than a lot of Androids, as is the stability. Not saying Android is bad, it's not. Just not as refined. Can you tinker with Android more? Yes. You can also root the Android. That being said, you can jailbreak the iPhone and that changes things significantly. There is every bit the high level of tech tinkering available with a jail broken iPhone.

If you are looking for stability, refinement, and overall polished, go with the iPhone. Android you will be doing more tinkering and I still say the stability is not as good overall.

Just my personal observations and experiences with the phones on both sides of the line.

6. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

That would be me. I went from an original Motorola Droid to a Bionic last fall. Didn't think I wanted a larger phone/screen, but I love having it now. The Bionic was large enough that I said screw it, slapped in in an Otterbox case and started carrying my phone on my belt again. Of course, I'm old enough to remember when there weren't any cell phones that fit in your pocket, anyway, so it's familiar territory for me. Even in the case it's not the largest phone I've carried. Out of the case it's slim enough to pocket carry without any issue.

7. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going to get an inexpensive Android. Been asking around, and it seems like it is silly to buy any phone that is not 4G LTE since that is what is being lit up. And by getting an inexpensive phone, if the iPhone 5 is all that and 4G LTE when it comes out later this year, I can spend money then.

Anyone use the Pantech Burst? It's $29, not a jumbo phone, 4G LTE......any experiences?

8. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

9. Daekwan

10. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

BTW, one feature I do like with Tom-Tom is having the full map database on my device. Google maps, while usually wonderful, does not have this feature so you're SOL if you're out of data range. I've read you can download maps for areas you'll be travelling with Google maps, but the range around the route you're planning is rather limited.

11. Dr. Stupid

Dr. Stupid Well-Known Member

OP: for the iPhone, the MotionX app is free and voice directions are $10 a year. Great navigation app.

I resisted Apple for as long as I could, but the clever fuckers got me with iTunes. I'd tried ripping my CDs to Media Player and using a Sansa mp3 player, but the interface was crap. Maybe someone has a better idea, but iTunes for PC did everything better in terms of music organization (though still no liner notes and multiple artist field), and nothing has the capacity of an iPod classic. So it was inevitable I'd get an iPhone so I could plug it right in to my car stereo and have most of my music immediately and seamlessly. I guess I've drunk a whole punch bowl of Kool Aid, though I don't ever see an Apple computer or tablet in my future.

12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

The issue with the Android community is most buy a cheapie 99-199 dollar android phone then compare it to a (retail) 799 dollar iPhone. In that case the Android offerings look pretty crappy and tend to be buggy at best.

On AT&T , I recommend the Galaxy Nexus first and foremost ( vanilla android 4.0 with no overlay) or the Galaxy SIII .

Both of these phones are far superior to the current iphone. Android offers Swype, free MP3 downloads, fantastic camera apps, huge screen in a small phone, replacable battery including extended versions, etc.

Ghost

13. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

The Tom Tom app for the iPhone rocks, worth every penny.:up:

As you said, it's about a 1.55 gig app with no need to be in a good data area for it to work. Love that.

14. Daekwan

I bought the Tom-Tom app for $39 on sale a few years ago off brand recognition alone (there were only about 4 full navigation apps at that time) and it has been priceless. It has easily paid for itself 10x over. I've used it in Mexico, Canada and PR with no fuss. The voice integration, live traffic, locally stored maps and music/call softening feature make it pretty much perfect IMO.

My mother however refused to pay $40-50 for the app.. and instead went with the MotionX or TeleNav apps. Both work well enough to get you where you need to go and relatively free. I think one cost $1.99 and the other was $9.99.

15. rpritch143

rpritch143 New Member

I currently work for AT&T and from personal experience and playing witrh phone all day Iphones are a bit overated. That being said they are still reliable and most people enjoy them, but they have not been hands on with the new android devices yet. They are much more reliable now and WAY faster. What i tell people everday is if you want an ipod touch with the abillity to call people plus siri for $200 go for it. Its a bit of a waste though it also depends what you are using it for. I was only using iphones for a while but have made the change and will never go back. Apple hasnt made enough changes over the years for me to go back, Itunes is a pain at times, Apple care sucks, and their phones are still 3G. Even though the 4s is acclaimed 4G its not a true $G. For a fraction of the price you get a 10 times better phone. For the same 200 bucks you pay for a 4s you can have a 100 times better device. For a cheap android thats reliable, I reccomend the HTC Vivid great phone looks good a little big but not too bad. The burst is ok, but battery life sucks. Basically apple is a way over priced device that you just pay for the logo not the features. Just giving my 2 cents.

16. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Honestly, if anyone has used the satellite overlay with the semi-streetlevel view of GoogleMaps Navigation, it is way better than anything else I've used. Also, the ability for it to show you three alternate routes, all overlayed over each other, and all with the information telling you each route is "42 miles/62 minutes; 47 miles/50 minutes; 40 miles/90 minutes" based on not only road but current traffic is really sweet. And overall, the clarity of the information displayed is amazing for glancing while driving. I downloaded Mapquest to my Android to try it since it is available for iPhone, and while it works, it is nowhere near as nice. And that is probably true of most Nav apps. They are get you there - the GoogleMaps Navigation is just the Mercedes of the group. Sure, the civic will get me there too....

17. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Anyone confirm that swype can be installed in an iPhone? that is a true deal breaker for me if not. and is it "jail-break" only?

18. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Dr. Stupid: I have the 160GB or whatever iPod for music - so that is not an issue or concern for me. I have all my music on that, love it, and don't need or want to merge my phone and iPod. But thanks for mentioning it.

19. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

rpritch: I am sorting of getting the feeling that you are. My girlfriend has the iPhone, so I'm not unaware of it - I even use it from time to time to try it. Not being 4G sucks for buying something currently too. But maybe the iPhone5 will be great - we'll see.

I've heard that about that burst (the battery life). Hmmm....I like the size though. I may look at the Vivid. Thanks for that kind of input!!!!!

20. Dr. Stupid

Dr. Stupid Well-Known Member

Will that kind of detail cause you to run into bandwidth issues?

That's one of the things I worry about with all the carriers -- bandwidth will start to get very expensive, and our hi-tech smart phones will be like 10mpg sports cars with gas at $5 a gallon. Fine for 1%, not so much for the rest of us.