Time for a new batery

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mpp12, May 18, 2012.

1. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

I think my batery is going south....

What are my options with this new tech bateries...

Lighter, But a few pounds less will not make any diference, so besides that what are the benefits???

I run a gsxr 1000 K5 with HID in the hi beams and bazzaz TC.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

very recent long drawn out thread on this..

3. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Problem was that I had no answer to what size batery I needed....

Thanks

4. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Battery....:Poke: :D

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

get an 8 cell for a 1000. I have an 8 cell Shorai in my K5. Works perfect.

6. MELK-MAN

didn't see a ? about what size you wanted, but what he said.. 8cell if you go with a Ballistic or other lightweight battery. I went Ballistic in both my bikes. nice units.

7. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Both the ballistic or shoray, charge with regular charge???

8. MELK-MAN

do NOT charge a ballistic for more than 45min. have no idea about the other brands but these lightweight batts. are different than typical batteries. The ballistics come FULLY charged, i put it in and raced..

9. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

But they are chrged when you ride the bike...

10. MELK-MAN

yes, as normal .. just sayin some ruin em by charging overnight before they put em in the bike.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Agreed.....put the battery in the bike and start it. I've never had to charge either of the batteries I have (Shorai or Alien Motion). They aren't meant to use the same kind of chargers as regular lead acid batteries, and under most circumstances they shouldn't need it. The battery in my 1000 sat all winter with no starting, I pulled it out in spring and just started right up.....they don't discharge nearly as quickly as lead acid batteries.

12. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Very good results with the 21ah Shorai in my 1098, the 14ah not so much. Shorai says you have to ride 2 hrs. a month to keep it charged. For a street bike not a problem, being I used it for dual duty I thought leaving it sit a month between track time would be an issue. Switched it on, 13v read on the cluster, and she turned over after 5 cranks! For those that don't know Ducs are notoriously hard to start. I'm sold on them.

13. MELK-MAN

no such issue with the ballistic batteries, and i know i have let my bikes sit a few weeks. I usually flip the fuel pumps on every week or so just to keep em from gumming up, and will let it run a few minutes to keep oil thrown about and such.. but not sure the system even charges at lower rpm? either way, lots o' cranking power.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If the battery is going to sit for a little while just disconnect the negative terminal. If longer than that, take the battery out, put it in a plastic bag and stick it in the back of your fridge. It'll sit for a year and discharge maybe 10%.

15. gixxer188

gixxer188 Member

Antigravity Batteries are very good also. I've had mine for two years now and over the winter it sat on my desk and this spring I put it back in the bike and started it right up. It's never been on a charger and it's never needed it. And it has always started the bike from 37 degrees on up. The colder it is the more times the bike will turn over before it starts, the battery needs heat to make CCA's and each time you push the starter it heats up.

16. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

Haven't had a problem with the ballastic battery, it drops like 8-10 lbs off your bike, which is a considerable amount of weight loss for a $200 modification.

17. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Huh not what I've heard from a buddy of mine who is a parts manager at a S. Florida powersports super center, fellow racer, and forum member. He pulled their stock and refuses to sell them.

18. MELK-MAN

Huh.. that is too bad. The people having issues with them (and any lightweight battery) is usually due to not reading instructions, and charging the crap out of them. Ya can't do that with. I'm not saying there have been no problems.. i don't know. I must have been SUPER lucky to get the 2 that work. :)

19. Sileighty

Sileighty Member

I picked up an MOTY 8 Cell last week and it worked well for me this weekend. Got myself the quick disconnect version and the battery is small enough so now when I need to remove the battery, I don't need to remove my tank first. Best part was I really needed it ASAP and I got it within 2 days.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Count me a lucky Ballistic user. Nary an issue. Two actually, one 8 and one 4.