Dunlop slicks UK's vs US

Discussion in 'General' started by NossLou, May 22, 2012.

1. NossLou

NossLou Well-Known Member

I have yet to try the US slicks, however I am wondering if Dunlop has made a tire to replace the 7712 compound UK slick. I have had enough time on the 7704, 6838, and 6680 on different tracks to have a good Idea of what to use and when. I personally think the 7712 is the best rear I have ever run and for some reason can not get them any more. Race tire services said they are discontinued.... Any of you guys able to order the 7712 else where?

Also can anyone point me in the direction of well criticized reviews of the american slicks and the big difference between them and the UK's. I'm sort of sick of hearing they are a better tire, worse tire, better for the money considering they are 200 bucks less than the UK's as well. I have heard so man mixed opinions I wish I could just find some honest reviews.

I have the bike setup for 3 different UK tire combos in the slick and DOT, and suspension settings to go with them, and its working almost as well as I could ask for, I'm trying to not change mid season to the US slicks and have to start reworking everything.

I appreciate any of your opinions as well, Not trying to be a picky bitch but when things are working I try not to change too much... Hell for all I know the US slicks may me be a much better tire, I am just a bit edgy to switch to them yet... that is all

2. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Hit up Billy Ethridge, I'm sure he can tell you all about them.

3. NossLou

PM contact info?

4. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

the 7712 still available. We bought and ran one this weekend at Miller.

5. NossLou

Who did you buy it from? I just need to order a few more rears....and am unable to get it here in CO or track side.

6. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Isn't the 7712 an AMA tire? I've never seen the option to order those from RTS. I used one as a take off and I liked it a lot more than the 6680 which takes forever to hook up.

7. ed who?

Jim Cox or whoever was in Utah..we just dealt with Bru and Cox...both took care of us. The 7712 i didn't know was rare or hard to get..we had 7704's but wanted something to last a bit better and ran the 7712 which worked well.

8. NossLou

The 6680 works well in certain situations for me but nothing like the 7712, I have been running the UK slicks for a while and these are the four rears I played with. They ahve always been available till this year. I am simply tryinng to find some one who is a distributor and has the 7712 UK slick and will possible accept Dunlop contingency credit for them.

When you say Bru are you referring to Brubaker?

9. some guy #2

Why wouldn't that compound be available on the RTS website?

10. NossLou

well am I not looking in the right area then, I do not see them listed? Dunlop here track side says they can not get them....and are discontinued....

11. ed who?

Not sure guys. My guy that ran it typically runs 6680 but as this was a 4 lap race we wanted something softer but were afraid to run the 7704...so we ran a 7712. I can tell you we got one from the Dunlop guys and ran it. I dont think any special favors, just asked Bru for one, and Jim Cox did an awesome job of doing it fast for us. Overall the Dunlop guys were outstanding this weekend!

12. NossLou

Dunlop has always been a stand up Vendor and that is why I run them... just trying to figure out where to get this tire and also get some info from guys who have been running the UK for a while and have toyed with the US rubber

13. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

I would buy a set of US made tires and try them for yourself,respectfully sir. You will give the best feedback to yourself ;)

14. NossLou

That is the plan.... and probably the best advice given:beer:I thought about doing exactly that this upcoming round in practice, yet I'd sort of like to stick with the UK's till the end of the year... we will see either way I need to figure out how to get a few more 7712's

15. some guy #2

^Post up if you do find them. After trying one I'm hooked!!

16. NossLou

oh you think its going to be that easy to let you know where they are stashed :Poke:

will do.... just hope it possible to still get em here...and not just this year but for more to come:up:

17. NossLou

Well RTS does not have them....so who is next....

18. NossLou

Does any one have Jim Cox phone number?