Colin Cowles - Does anyone here know him?

Discussion in 'General' started by John Orchard, May 21, 2012.

1. John Orchard

John Orchard Well-Known Member

Last week Colin Cowles contacted me regarding R6 parts that I posted on the WERA for sale area.

We agreed on a price and I shipped the parts the same morning - Thursday. This evening I received a Notice of Payment Reversal from PayPal - via Colin Cowles.

I've tried contacting Colin through the same means that we communicated prior to the transaction, but haven't had any luck this evening.

Based on his email to me, Gmail profile and Facebook page, this is a fair amount of information about Colin available.

I'm hoping that someone here knows Colin and can encourage him to contact me.

I can be reached at 214.422.4433 or [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

btw, here is a picture of Colin on his race bike - he apparently races with the CRA and lives in St. Paul MN.

Attached Files:

2. John Orchard

Please let me know if there is a more appropriate forum to post this question.

Thanks!

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Well-Known Member

I know some people up there, that race....I'll inquire!

4. John Orchard

Thank you, much appreciated!

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Did you contact Paypal to find out why the payment was reversed, and note that you can't reach the buyer?

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Has it been delivered already?

7. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

I'm confused, paysnail can't reverse a payment without the buyer going through a dispute process part of which involves contacting you with the "complaint".
    I would be warming up the phone to paysnail with questions..

8. John Orchard

Yes, it's been delivered. May 19th, 9:54 am. USPS tracking number 03120090000057108495.

I've been on the phone with PayPal. Their customer service is outstanding.
    The rep walked me through a few options which were to re-invoice the buyer, and she wrote an official letter from Paypal asking for resolution etc.

Two issues:
    1. This buyer is "unverified", meaning the buyer has not provided enough personal information for Paypal to offer seller protection. (phone, credit card, SSN, etc) According to Paypal, they won't take a risk on someone who doesn't provide enough information.

2. The transaction was done as a 'gift', which further limits any protection offered by Paypal even though the seller specified that the money was for a master cylinder and battery. (btw, I asked for him to use gift - I probably won't do that again)

3. The PayPal rep indicated that the financial institution may have initiated this return, and that PayPal has no control over funds requested from one's bank, but later denied. Much like a bounced check apparently.

Hopefully this is a simple mistake, and Colin see's the thread and contacts me, or returns one of my emails.

Thanks for the PM's and replies to this thread.

9. John Orchard

Just got word from Colin - he's been traveling and was slow to get his email. He has since emailed me twice this afternoon and responded to the payment request that I sent from PayPal, so everything is square.

I probably should have given Colin another day or so before pulling the trigger on a 'does anyone know him' thread.

I learned a little more about how PayPal works and I sincerely appreciate the responses from everyone here.

Thanks too to Colin for being stand up and getting the situation squared away.

10. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

so why did paypal pull the payment away from you? If you don't mind my asking.

11. John Orchard

According to Colin, the bank associated with his account no longer existed or had changed names, so the association wasn't current.

PayPal's explanation is that it is similar to writing a check. If the funds aren't there, the financial institution, not Paypal automatically pulls the funds.

If a check bounces, you have the credit for a few days, but soon end up with the bank pulling the funds back out of your account for NSF.