1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home A/C Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Coopster, May 21, 2012.

1. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

The a/c is not working.
    The day prior it did, quite well I might add.
    Today it is not blowing cold.
    The fan on the condenser outside is spinning away, the fan in the furnace is blowing air throughout the system.
    I don't see any obvious signs of a leak / refridgerant oil.
    The complete system is several years old.
    I have replaced the capacitor last year and maybe a few years prior when it went out/pooched out like a frozen Coke can, but as I mentioned - the fan on the outside unit/condenser is spinning so pretty sure THAT is not it.

Anyone? TIA

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Is the compressor motor running? The condensor fan shouldn't run without the compressor running, they're controlled by the same contactor (at least in every one I've worked on).

3. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

Does it have the LED fault code light on the inside panel?

4. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

is there ice on the compressor hosing outside?

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you cant fix it our maintenance guy at work is HVAC certified(and lic. electrician) and is usually MUUUUCCCCHHHH cheaper than the noraml HVAC people. PM me and I can give you his number if you need it. Only drawback is sometimes it may take him longer to get to you.

6. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

First thing first

CHECK YOUR FILTER.

Most causes are due to dirty filter and will cause the coil to freeze.

7. grd264

grd264 Well-Known Member

Freon cost me about $40 bucks a pound three months ago......so get ready!!

8. Crispy476

Crispy476 Well-Known Member

The thing with freon is, it is like the air in your tires, your don't use it, you loose it.

make a service call and they will be able to leak check the system and fix the leak (hopefully if it is accessible and not hidden in a coil somewhere)

9. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

If your A/C unit is older..... check the inside unit to see if the coils are iced over. If so, the condensation drain may be clogged, and when the drain pan fills it, more or less, shuts off the A/C compressor to prevent any possible further damage. Also, prolly time to change the dirty filter.

If you see this, get a shop vac, and find the drain outside, and use the shop vac (make sure you remove/cover the dry filter first, depending on your machine) to suck out the clog. Once this is done, let the ice thaw off the coils, then it'll begin to cool again when turned back on.

Do this at least once a year just prior to summer time, and it shouldn't happen again.

IF that's your problem! :)

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Do you have gauges?

Have your turn the system off and give it a few minutes then have your wife turn it back on while you are out by the condensing unit, you should here the compressor come on before the fan starts. Did it?

If it is frozen up the lowside line entering the outside unit will most likely be covered in ice.

I'm betting on it being electrical, probably a contactor, since it was working good yesterday.

11. 1. check for burned wire on the contactor in the condensor compartment (make sure to turn off or pull disconnect going to it). Rewire with same or bigger gauge wire.
    2. check for damaged or shorted thermostat wires going into condensor because of accidental whacking it with weedwacker. If that's the case, go up to the attic and open the electrical compartment in the air handler and look for burned fuse (5A) on the PC board.
    3. If air filter is dirty causing the coil to ice-over, turn the thermostat to heat and run for 20-30 minutes to thaw it. Replace with new air filter and switch back to cool.
    4. if compressor is running but the big pipe is not cold and sweating, the you have a leak. Shut it down and call the AC guy.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  12. AC system is a sealed system, freon doesn't disappear if not in use. The only way it loses freon is from a leak.

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:stupid: THIS x 1000......happened to me twice over the years, just about guaranteed it's clogged like a SOB.

14. If his AC suddenly doesn't work, it's most likely NOT the filter.

15. Also, if you replaced the cap with Chinese-made one, it may happen again so check the cap while you're at it.

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Can you see your evaporator coil inside your house? Mine would freeze over, then stop blowing cold air. If that's the case, turn your system off and let it melt, then turn it back on and it may work ok. I did that for the last few years at my house, until I finally had to recharge my coolant.

17. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

OP, You never have said whether the compressor is running or not....just the condenser fan mtr. When the unit comes on, you will definitely be able to hear the compressor start up if it is going to run. To go from working good one day to not working the next is either a serious loss of refrigerant or the compressor isn't running for whatever reason.......could be the starting capacitor again or the compressor could have shit the bed, meaning that the internal windings in the motor have opened up. We need more info.

18. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

19. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

1. Check the filters. (Probably not you issue, but worth checking.)

2. Check the coils. If they are frozen over you most likely have a leak in the freon. When the pressure is too low the coils end up freezing over and you get no airflow past them to cool the house efficiently.

3. Turn off system for a few minutes. Then try to turn it on and listen for compressor to start up. (To check for electrical)

In my personal experience it's almost always the sealed coolant system leaking, causing the compressor to run more, coils to freeze, etc. Turn off the AC. Grab a hair dryer (Or better yet a heat gun!!!!!) and melt the ice away. Use a towel or two to soak up the water away from the electronics thhat are many times below the coils. Once it's clear of ice, turn on the AC again and you will probably have a cool house again for a day or two until it freezes over again.

Solution, refill system with coolant. Or replace coils. Or replace entire cooling system. I've done all three to various houses I've owned.

20. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Maybe the op has the same problem as me.

My fan runs outside and inside but I hear the compressor kick on for a while and then off. So you have actual a/c for a while then it's just basically recycling air. I've got a Williamson heat pump from the 70's.